PDA

View Full Version : Ebony Camera Bellows Support: Description or pictures requested

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
11-Mar-2024, 14:35
I am looking for a few pictures or a description of the Ebony bellows support. Some of the larger Ebony cameras came with an adjustable bellows support device. I have seen pictures of these on wholeplate and 8x10 cameras, it looks like a piece of ~1-2mm wire (titanium presumably) with threads and locking knobs.

You can see one in this sale from eight years ago: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?135241, in the second picture.

My camera is missing this piece. I would like to recreate it but am unclear how it works or what the knobs actually do. Pictures and/or detailed description would help! Thank you.

Jeff Keller
11-Mar-2024, 15:03
I would GUESS that the ends of the rod fit into holes in the center of the small circular disks mounted on the inner wooden rails beneath the bellows. The dark grey knobs are simply handles that you grab onto while you install/remove the u-shaped rod. The knobs appear to be just screwed onto a stud that is permanently attached to the u-shaped rod.

Conrad . Marvin
11-Mar-2024, 15:15
It looks to me as if the u shaped fixture is a hollow tube with the two “stands” that sit in the two metal receptacles or holes in the front standard rails about two thirds of the way back. The two knurled knobs on either side would tighten on the internal rods to set the height. Very interesting. I have a copy of an Ebony catalog, but I have not seen that accessory.

Monty McCutchen
11-Mar-2024, 15:18
I have one for the Ebony 20 x 24. Do you need to see a picture of it in relation to the camera or just the piece itself?

Conrad . Marvin
11-Mar-2024, 15:21
I would be interested in seeing a picture of the part.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
11-Mar-2024, 15:46
Thanks Monty, pictures of the item (what do those knobs do?) and in camera would be very helpful...

Monty McCutchen
12-Mar-2024, 04:01
Will get a pic of both tonight once the slog of corporate servitude comes to a close! Hope you are well Jason!

Monty McCutchen
13-Mar-2024, 04:08

Here are some closeups of the support. I tried to show on the left that the pieces at the bottom are extendable (that’s why in the picture they are not the same length) to raise the bellows up or down to desired length. I’ve taken the extender piece out in the second photo. The extreme close up shows the small opening where I am missing the very small screws that would tighten the extended pieces into the desired length. Sorry I don’t have the small screws currently. I seem to lose them regularly. The bigger rounded piece is for screwing into the camera. Photos of that to follow in subsequent post.

Monty McCutchen
13-Mar-2024, 04:19

Here are some pictures of the camera and how it receives the support. It screws into the titanium base and then fits into the groove of the appropriate bellows slot based on how it all lines up obviously. I didn’t extend the bellows out but for the purposes here it should be fine. I left it all out though so if you would like an additional photo or two it’s not a problem just let me know here with a specific idea of what you would like a visual on. Admittedly I’m finding out here I’m not a gifted product photographer. Let me know if I can assist any further.

Monty

Monty McCutchen
13-Mar-2024, 04:26
Conrad if you want any more pictures that obviously applies to you as well!

Conrad . Marvin
13-Mar-2024, 09:28
Thanks Monty, this is what I had pictured in my mind having seen the OP link with its photos of the bellows support as an “oh, by the way” and confirms the way that I thought that it was made. I assume that the thread at the end of the rod will tighten into the receptacle on the camera. Did the small screws (everything looks small next to your beautiful camera) that hold the support at the correct height have a knurl?
Conrad

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
13-Mar-2024, 09:42
Thank you Monty! This is exactly what I need, and is enough for me to make a set of temporary (not adjustable) stand-ins until I can figure out how to make an adjustable one.

I am totally sympthetic to the slog... we miss seeing you in the Portland!

Tin Can
13-Mar-2024, 10:13
Bellows support vary, many cameras use bellows shortener with little hooks, which gather the the pleats

As I have a studio Deardorff 8X10 with very heavy OE naugahyde bellows they droop in a frown

I slide a closed cell soft block under it

It just 'floats'

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53585973020_faf7de66af_3k.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/gp/tincancollege/cEbc3nQY7G)DD BELLOWS SUPPORT (https://www.flickr.com/gp/tincancollege/cEbc3nQY7G) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Monty McCutchen
13-Mar-2024, 10:47
Thank you Monty! This is exactly what I need, and is enough for me to make a set of temporary (not adjustable) stand-ins until I can figure out how to make an adjustable one.

I am totally sympthetic to the slog... we miss seeing you in the Portland!

I'm glad the pictures were helpful. As to missing Portland trips, I'm right there with you! One of the downsides of the change was the movement to the fine folks that lived along the traveling circuit that I had come to know. I still fondly remember you and your family's kindness in opening up your home for a wonderful dinner!! When I make it back out there I'll make sure I alert you ahead of time and we can catch up more properly.

Monty

Monty McCutchen
13-Mar-2024, 10:51
Thanks Monty, this is what I had pictured in my mind having seen the OP link with its photos of the bellows support as an “oh, by the way” and confirms the way that I thought that it was made. I assume that the thread at the end of the rod will tighten into the receptacle on the camera. Did the small screws (everything looks small next to your beautiful camera) that hold the support at the correct height have a knurl?
Conrad

ha! As if my aging mind can remember the original little beggers! I've replaced those so many times you might as well ask me to remember the words to the Gettysberg Address!