PDA

View Full Version : Old scratched lenses, coatings, etc.

Eric in Vegas
23-Feb-2024, 09:14
I have a 203mm Optar f7.5 lens in a Graflex #2 shutter. The shutter was completely inop but I got it working (and had a great time doing it). The lens elements, however, are quite scratched and I was hoping to clean them up a bit. I have two questions I was hoping to get help with.

First, I assume this is a coated lens, but honestly have no idea how to tell. Any advice on determining if an old lens is coated or not would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, any advice on cleaning up scratches on lens? I've read that some people clean up scratches with a dremel tool and some polish. I'm sure there are all sorts of factors that come into play if you decide to do this such as removing any lens coating that may be there. But, I'm under the impression that a once-coated lens with no scratches is preferable to a coated lens with significant scratches. Any advice to better understand any factors would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a hobbyist who gets alot of joy out of keeping old cameras and lenses alive so pristine optics is not the highest concern.

Thanks, Eric

xkaes
23-Feb-2024, 09:25
A picture sure would help. A lot depends on what "quite scratched" means.

Jim Jones
23-Feb-2024, 09:34
Using a Dremel tool on a lens worse than using a chain saw for brain surgery!

domaz
23-Feb-2024, 09:54
The early 203mm Ektar's and probably similar Optars were notorious for having a very soft coating that scratched easily. There is no practical way to repair this, I would leave it as it as, the effect on picture quality is going to be minimal. Note it's kind of funny to note a scratch on a cell phone camera phone basically destroys it because of the low depth of field inherent to them making the scratch show very easily. A LF lens? Naw not a problem.

BrianShaw
23-Feb-2024, 10:20
Put a lens hood on it and see if you can discern any significant effects of the scratches. In most cases probably not.

Dan Fromm
23-Feb-2024, 10:56
If the lens is coated there will be a C with a W inside it on the trim ring. It should be coated. Large scratches can be filled with, e.g., India Ink.

To find out whether the scratches will be a problem, take a test shot or two with the lens. In my limited experience, deep scratches can but don't always cause problems, numerous small scratches (the cleaned with sandpaper look) are always problems. YMMV

Eric in Vegas
23-Feb-2024, 11:32
If the lens is coated there will be a C with a W inside it on the trim ring. It should be coated. Large scratches can be filled with, e.g., India Ink.

To find out whether the scratches will be a problem, take a test shot or two with the lens. In my limited experience, deep scratches can but don't always cause problems, numerous small scratches (the cleaned with sandpaper look) are always problems. YMMV

"Cleaned with sandpaper look" would be how I would describe mine. Have you ever had any luck addressing this?

That being said, I may just try it out as is and see what I get as others have suggested.

paulbarden
23-Feb-2024, 11:36
"Cleaned with sandpaper look" would be how I would describe mine. Have you ever had any luck addressing this?

That being said, I may just try it out as is and see what I get as others have suggested.

I have a 105mm Xenotar that fits that description. The only remedy is to send it to an optical technician who can grind a clean surface on the glass. (Jason Lane can do this)
I opted not to do anything to mine - it functions well as a kind of "soft focus" (https://flic.kr/p/2kZrPa5) lens, to great effect.

Use it, evaluate it's assets (or lack thereof) and decide for yourself if any action is required.

Mark Sampson
23-Feb-2024, 12:35
FWIW, the Graflex 203/7.5 Optar (made by Wollensak) is not the same lens as the Kodak 203/7.7 Ektar, and the coatings are different. The Optar is a post-WWII design and is coated. I believe (haven't seen one) that EK offered an uncoated 203/7.7 as an "Anastigmat", similar to other lenses in their line in that way.
Mr. Fromm's advice in post #6 is spot on. Try your lens, at varying f/stops and lighting conditions, and see if it's good enough for you.

Eric in Vegas
23-Feb-2024, 13:00
Thank you all for the info. I'm definitely going to try using the lens for awhile rather than attempting to remove the scratches.

Dan Fromm
23-Feb-2024, 13:34
I believe (haven't seen one) that EK offered an uncoated 203/7.7 as an "Anastigmat", similar to other lenses in their line in that way.

Mark, I have 203/7.7 Kodak Anastigmat. It has the same prescription as the 203/7.7 Ektar. Mine is in barrel. I have other 200 +/- mm lenses so haven't tried to find a shutter that's right for the cells or to front mount it. I b'lieve it was intended for use as a process lens; it has threads at the front for, I think, attaching a prism or mirror box.

Paul, Eric, I have an 80/2.8 Xenotar that has the coveted (?) cleaned with sandpaper look. Flary as can be. I regard it as useless. The shutter it was in is another matter.

xkaes
23-Feb-2024, 13:44
I have a 105mm Xenotar that fits that description. I opted not to do anything to mine - it functions well as a kind of "soft focus" (https://flic.kr/p/2kZrPa5) lens, to great effect.

Exactly what I was going to suggest -- with a good lens shade, of course.