PDA

View Full Version : good 4x5 cameras for mostly 6x9

raizans
22-May-2006, 19:19
i only use 35mm right now, but i want to add a view camera for a new project where i'll be photographing buildings. print sizes only require 6x9, though i'd like to be able to shoot 4x5 polaroids (another hobby of mine).

i've decided to get three lenses: 65/5.6 schneider or rodenstock, 90/4.5 nikkor-sw, and 150/5.6 schneider or rodenstock. the first is only for 6x9, the third for 4x5, and the second for both.

since i don't want to be limited to working from a car, i was interested in an arca swiss f-metric with bag bellows. only bad thing is that with all of the accessories, like reflex viewer, compendium hood, their special polaroid backs, etc., it's out of budget if i buy new from a dealer. i lost one auction several weeks ago and nothing suitable has shown up since. i'm looking at 3.5 grand for the whole shebang.

while i wait, what other cameras are compact and good with short focal lengths? folding field cameras are tempting for their portability. which ones give you a decent amount of front rise/fall with a 65mm lens? which are easy to adjust the lens and front standard? and what do you really, really miss out on when photographing buildings, compared to monorails? if stephen shore can do it, so can i, right? anyhow, are there any monorail cameras like the arca swiss that are more readily available and affordable?

Gregory Gomez
22-May-2006, 19:44
You can try to find a used Arca-Swiss, but good luck.

Then there are the Ebony field cameras:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=108

You could try Peter Gowland:

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/index.html

Wista is always a possibility:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=324&a=40_259&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&shs=&ci=25&ac=&Submit.x=6&Submit.y=10

You might try a Calument Cadet:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CC3001.html

But don't count out the Zone VI:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/ZN1000.html

Last, but not least, there is the Canham DLC 4x5:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...ct_detail&p=96

That's about all I can think of. Good Luck!:)

Andrew Ito
22-May-2006, 20:46
I'd vote for the Ebony 45S for that set of lenses. If you're only shooting wide I'd perhaps look at the 45SW. They're great cameras. I had a 23S for shooting 6x9 and it was great. In retrospect, I should've gotten the 45S to shoot both 4x5 and roll film formats.

George Hart
22-May-2006, 22:17
Here's another vote for the Ebony 45S, which I have and I use mainly for roll-film. It's a delight to handle, fast, with a full range of movements, and ideal for your focal lengths.

adrian tyler
22-May-2006, 22:37
the ebony has a 6x9 back (for the 4x5) which is really well designed and easy to use.

raizans
23-May-2006, 00:23
the ebony looks like a pretty good choice. the specs don't say anything about bag bellows, so how are the movements with a 65mm?

Henry Ambrose
23-May-2006, 04:58
The Ebony S or SW will out-move the lenses you list with no problem. The bellows are very flexible and made for wide lens use. You won't have to buy an extra bellows for either. The SW is especially compact and light with the 45S not far behind in those matters. If you are sure you won't ever need more than 190mm of extension get the SW for the most convenience. It will focus your 150 down to about three feet. Otherwise the extra bellows length of the S may be better all around, especially if you will later want some longer glass like a 210 or 240. And the S has some back moves if that matters to you.

Ted Harris
23-May-2006, 07:24
Hmmmm ... no mention of the Horseman FA. The positives: The Horseman is more compact when folded than any of those mentioned except the Gowland. It is as light as or lighter than the others mentioned. Works well with lenses as short as 65mm (the shortest I have ever used) and I am told 58mm as well. It is rugged and nearly indestructible and, like all metal fields, has a smooth precision feel to it. It is a real system camera with many accessories available.

The negatives: The small size and small lensboards mean that there are some lenses that won't fit because their rear elements are too large. You are limited to 240mm on the long side because of the short bellows (300 with the Horseman telextender or a tele lens). If you use rear movements a lot you may find the Horseman's a bit fiddley (same for the Technika though).

I used one for 16 years day in and day out and it served me very very well. I only replaced it with a Toyo because of continuing numbness in my left index finger as a result of C5/C6 compression .... small knobs that became annoying to operate.

Ole Tjugen
23-May-2006, 08:19
To the best of my knowledge, the best "portable field monorail" for working with very short lenses is the not very available Carbon Infinity. With a bag bellows it easily handles lenses with as little as 30mm flange focal distance; and the normal bellows extent to 550mm if that should be necessary. And movements are only limited by bellows and coverage...

Pity they're so rare, and so out of production. No, I'm not selling mine.

raizans
23-May-2006, 14:33
that just about takes care of the ebony. in case i need a longer lens, i think i'd go with the 45s or maybe 45su. can anyone recommend a shoulder bag for it? aside from a tripod, i'd only take the two shorter lenses (one on the camera), a roll film back, reflex viewer, meter, film, and other small doodads.

since the horseman fa needs rear lenses to be 65mm or smaller, i'll have to check whether i'm ok with using a 90mm f6.8 instead of a f4.5. it's a possibility, and i am partial to metal cameras.

the carbon infinity looks neat when it's folded up. =)

CXC
23-May-2006, 19:37
I vote for the Ebony 45S with the 6x9 back. I believe it swings out, so you can use the ground glass without removing it, which is way handy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anthony Oresteen
29-May-2006, 06:05
I use a Cambo SF23. It is a 6x9 view but for $700 you can get a 4x5 conversion kit for it from Calumet. The SF23 is out of production now but with some looking you should be able to locate one.

I'd reconsider the 150mm lens. I'd get at least an 180mm or 210mm to go with the 90. You always pick up a cheap 135mm for those times when you need a little more pull than what your 90 gets. I use a 135mm Optar all the time and it is very very sharp on 6x9. The 150mm just isn't long enough on 6x9.

darr
29-May-2006, 10:33
I vote for the Ebony 45S with the 6x9 back. I believe it swings out, so you can use the ground glass without removing it, which is way handy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I use an Ebony 4x5 > 6x9 reducing back and it does have a door that swings out so you can place the 120/220 film magazine on without removing the back. Works great! ;)

raizans
29-May-2006, 14:07
Can't find much info on the Cambo. It's all in languages I don't know. =)

Since the 150mm will only be used with 4x5, and I won't be using it with 6x9 for portraits or whatever, there's no reason to get a longer lens like 180 or 210. And if a 150mm isn't long enough on 6x9, why would 135mm be long enough?

MJSfoto1956
29-May-2006, 15:59
Look for a future review of the Gaoersi 4x5 coming from me.

I personally plan to use it with 6x9 and 6x12 Horseman backs as a compliment to my Mamiya 7 II. It should arrive in the next few weeks.

J Michael Sullivan

raizans
30-May-2006, 03:13
the gaoersi is a very interesting camera. it looks like you get rise/fall with only 72-90mm lenses, though.

Anthony Oresteen
30-May-2006, 14:00
Sometimes the 90mm is just to wide but 210 is too long. I find that the 135mm on 6x9 is much more useable than a 150. I use a 105mm a lot and I also like to use a telephoto. In this case the 150 is too short but the 210 is great.

Call Calumet. They should have English info on the 23SF and other Cambos.