PDA

View Full Version : pin hole checking

monochromeFan
30-Jan-2024, 23:42
Had the time to test my cameras bellows out with a flashlight in a dark room. Its depressing for a camera that the seller listed as "no light leaks".

Its only every corner has a tiny pin hole in it.. really should post a photo. Is it better to just find a new bellows and laugh at how much i did not have to spend on a brand new camera?

Lars Holte
31-Jan-2024, 02:26
I have one Toyo Field camera and several Toyo monorail cameras - all bought used and all had numerous pinholes. I tried to "paint" over the pinholes with black acrylic paint mixed with some PVA glue to make it more flexible, but to no avail. Most of the pinholes re-appeared.
My solution was to buy "cheap" bellows from Amazon - around 100 US$ each. Replacing the bellows on the monorails was easy. Replacing the tapered bellows on the 45A Field camera was a bit more tricky, but not impossible with some patience. And the new bellows are perfectly light tight and have proven to be quite wear resistant. Light leaks are a pain, so I found replacing the bellows both practical and useful.

John Layton
31-Jan-2024, 04:02
If you do replace your bellows, there are two brands of contact cement that I'd like to suggest: either Weldwood or Durabond.

Tin Can
31-Jan-2024, 04:04
Laugh and the world laughs with you

Look into retapeing all corners with good tape

It can look nice and last for decades

paulbarden
31-Jan-2024, 07:03
If the seller advertised it as having no light leaks, you should return it for a refund and buy something better. (IE: spend a bit more $$)

jnantz
31-Jan-2024, 07:22
What TC said plus white pva and black India ink is magical. I’m sure seller like KEH only meant cosmetics.. your camera is probably 50+ years old. Probably requires grease too.

monochromeFan
31-Jan-2024, 09:03
Not sure on needing grease.. this thing is smoother then the macro bellows i bought. Its only pin holes in EVERY corner on it, and the email alert is telling me my lens was just delivered.

I sent out emails to about 5 places last night about a custom bellows, and only 1 place responded so far..

jnantz
31-Jan-2024, 09:10
Custom bellows as much $$ as a new camera . Do as Paul suggests not worth hassle especially when you will never be able to resell the camera with the new bellows for as much as the camera and bellows cost.

Neal Chaves
31-Jan-2024, 09:26
The best replacement bellows I have found are the U.S.-made all synthetic and waterproof products from Dynatect or Nabel (you will pay more for the same thing).

Conrad . Marvin
31-Jan-2024, 09:48
Imho, if you really like the way that the camera works, do a temporary fix on the bellows while you are looking into the replacement, and use it. Replacing bellows is a maintenance issue unless you plan on replacing the camera soon. If you replace the bellows, the value of your camera will increase.

monochromeFan
31-Jan-2024, 09:59
sent a question to nabell on it, have to wait for dynatect as i dont have time to do their pdf process of asking them..

still, i was expecting to have to tape the corners anyway. Its odd that my enlarger is just as old, and has no pin holes.

Neal Chaves
31-Jan-2024, 10:06
Just call Dynatect and ask customer service to talk to someone about camera bellows. They may have a CAD file for that bellows.

Conrad . Marvin
31-Jan-2024, 10:10
Enlargers don’t have their bellows “abused “ as much as cameras. I have a 5x7 enlarger that was made in 1944 with its original bellows and no pin holes, but does it really matter on an enlarger?

Corran
31-Jan-2024, 16:28
Liquid electrical tape.

Also pinholes in the corners often don't matter as the folds block light from going far. Depends on size and how much you extend them (longer lenses, closer focusing).

Roger Thoms
31-Jan-2024, 17:01
Liquid electrical tape.

Also pinholes in the corners often don't matter as the folds block light from going far. Depends on size and how much you extend them (longer lenses, closer focusing).

Plus you can throw your dark cloth over the bellows for extra assurance.

Roger

monochromeFan
31-Jan-2024, 17:07
Plus you can throw your dark cloth over the bellows for extra assurance.

Roger

While i adjust to a new crappy work schedule, i WAS thinking an improvised action of wrapping it down with 5 or 10 mil black plastic sheeting i have in the garage.

Jojje
1-Feb-2024, 09:19
Been there...Ordered new bellows to my ICA Ideal 9x12 from China, can recommend. https://www.etonephoto.com/collections/camera-accessories
Get a partial refund.
For an occasional single pinhole I've used the mixture of white PVA glue with a drop of dish washing liquid coloured black with ink succesfully.

Vaughan
1-Feb-2024, 16:05
Toyo cameras are superb but the original bellows are always full of pinholes, even old stock never opened NIB. Chinese replacement bellows are reasonable priced.