PDA

View Full Version : Do you recommend a water filter ?

Serge S
5-Jan-2024, 21:08
I finally have my new sink in place and doing the plumbing next.
Debating about whether I should incorporate a water filter?
I am on city water - so its pretty good (unless there is a main break).

Thanks in advance!

Tin Can
5-Jan-2024, 21:37
Yes Hass filter

I don’t drink tap water

I drink only grocer Distilled 2o years

And all chem

Alan9940
6-Jan-2024, 06:16
I used them when I lived in Vermont, but I was on a spring. On city water nowadays, I use tap water for all washing and RO / distilled water for all chemicals.

Willie
6-Jan-2024, 06:48
Get and use one. Cheap preventive step for the surprise grit that can hit the pipes. You don't know when the Water Dept is flushing pipes or some glitch in the system occurs.

John Layton
6-Jan-2024, 07:21
Two Words...Hell Yes!

More thoughtfully: filter at least down to 25 microns - but preferably to 5 microns.
Separate hot and cold water filters if possible.

Bob Kerner
6-Jan-2024, 07:21
If you are doing plumbing work and have the opportunity to add a filter you should do so. Regardless of your photo hobby! Peace of mind, quality of life issue. I have filters on my kitchen sink and refrigerator and, even though my town has "clean" water, I can detect a difference. I use the filtered water for mixing my chems and initial film wash, then switch to distilled for the final rinse.

Jim Jones
6-Jan-2024, 07:52
Despite the taste in some areas, 91 years of using tap water hasn't killed me yet, but filtered water may be better for many chemicals and final washes of negatives.

Martin Aislabie
6-Jan-2024, 08:25
For what its worth - I use 5 micron 10 inch in-line water filters for both hot and cold water supplies.

I hardly get anything in them but I prefer to be safe than sorry.

I then use distilled water for the final rinse.

Martin

Michael R
6-Jan-2024, 08:32
If it isn’t too much money I guess it makes sense, but people tend to overstate the importance of water quality with respect to photographic chemicals. If you’re scratch-mixing, distilled water is easiest, but commercially packaged chemicals contain ingredients to deal with impurities in tap water. Maybe if you’re on a well or something you could theoretically have issues but city service would have to be really bad to affect anything.

jnantz
6-Jan-2024, 10:18
I had one installed one years ago when they changed the water lines in the street. It was a "whole house filter" easy to use easy to replace the filters that were found cheaply locally. years later when my water meter eventually had to be replaced, I had them remove the filter. municipal water is fine these days. I'll use distilled water to mix chemistry though, it's cheep.

Tin Can
6-Jan-2024, 11:41
My Hass Mixer is best with Hass filters

No regrets

https://www.hassmfg.com/search.pl/1704566239-94296?keyword=1092&submit=Search

Never a problem in 10 years

I see prices are UP

Peter De Smidt
6-Jan-2024, 12:40
Be careful with carbon filters. They can cause a fine particulate on you film. It's possible that flushing the filter really well would minimize that chances of that, but I had a number of rolls wrecked....

LabRat
7-Jan-2024, 18:41
Be careful with carbon filters. They can cause a fine particulate on you film. It's possible that flushing the filter really well would minimize that chances of that, but I had a number of rolls wrecked....

Carbon filters will leave some residue, and not really filter, but are used to improve taste...

Out here in LA, filters are a must... I have removed (literally) handfuls of sand/dirt when local water main construction was in progress, and other emergency work was done due to earthquakes, someone hitting a fire hydrant, old pipes etc... I use a dual filter system, and even have found debris (and algae slime) in the second filter... :0

The suggestion to use an ultra fine filter cannot be used here, as the water is heavily chlorinated and fine filters start to release chlorine from the flow as fizzy/foaming/bubbly and the water turns milky...

Can't hurt using them, but make sure to check/clean/and replace filter element on a regular basis...

Steve K

John Layton
8-Jan-2024, 07:15
Another potential issue with particulates (or, more accurately, "gunk"), has nothing to do with filtration...and everything to do with whatever water hose you might have attached to your faucet. These hoses can, especially if left idle for a time, become "infected" with slimy, (algal?) residue, which can then blow out and create all kinds of havoc with your prints and especially negatives.

In my darkroom I have a long, thin dowel, which, on occasion (especially after my darkroom has been idle for awhile), I will use to push a piece of cloth through my two sink hoses (after having first detached them from their faucets). I will do this cleaning and flushing out process several times, reattaching the hoses and flushing them out between each. At any rate...I highly recommend doing this procedure - maybe four times per year regardless...or at least after your darkroom has been idle for awhile. (Alternately, just switch out your old hoses with new ones.)

Daniel Unkefer
9-Jan-2024, 09:48
I'm building a little Combiplan Tank Wash Unit, using the original screw-in parts. Rubber hose and "Water Outlet Purifier Kit" 3 for $30 on Amazon. Should work perfectly, I've not be filtering, but this is a good time to start. Works on any online hose filters 5 microns. Will hook it in when I get 'em. May order extras for all my washers.

Tin Can
9-Jan-2024, 11:52
Anybody read the recent water study?

All our water has Micro Plastics

Including all non ice

I am hoping Steam works

Silvergrain
12-Jan-2024, 03:43
Hello, I would recommend you get a filter; depending of course about where you are, but for tap water in limestone areas, you might get unnoticeable particles that will scratch your prints when you squeegee them.

As it is superficial you might not notice at first glance, but having a closer look when dry then comes the disappointment...

Edward Pierce
20-Jan-2024, 04:16
Yes. I’m on a well and have a “whole house” 5 micron filter. It catches an amazing amount of grit. Still, some gets through. I have two faucets in the darkroom; the one hooked up to my film and print washers has a second 5 micron filter. There is an obvious difference in water quality between the two faucets.

Jim Jones
20-Jan-2024, 07:17
I used well water heavily contaminated with lime. A filter and using distilled water for mixing developer and for the final film wash worked well enough.