PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in rainy weather

Hiro
20-May-2006, 13:46
Based on discussions in this forum and other sources, I use a reel case and Kelty Redwing for hiking. It works fine, but I don't think it provides good protection against rain. I leave unwieldy LF behind when the sky looks ugly, but there have been occasions where the condition turned out to be very "shootable." Only if I could be sure my gear is protected... I thought about improvising an "AW cover" with water-proof fabric, or a poncho-type rain wear that also covers the pack.

How do seasoned hikers prepare for the prospect of wet weather? I do only day-hikes now, but would also like to try overnighters sometime.

fredthetree
20-May-2006, 14:15
At the shop I bought my hiking pack from, they sold sold waterproof covers for packs of different sizes. It's like a big waterproof bag with drawstrings on the bottom, pull it over, pull it shut, keep your gear dry and save a few hundred dollars (over buying a waterproof pack).

paulr
20-May-2006, 14:31
i think it's often simpler to have a smaller waterproof bag (like a seam-sealed stuff sack or a garbage bag) for any pieces of gear that can't get wet. this goes inside your pack, of course. it would work if you have on e of those removeable inserts for your camera stuff ... just pop it out, slip into the plastic bag, and pop it back in.

i keep a garbage bag inside my regular over-the-shoulder camera bag all the time, just in case the sky opens up.

Mike Lewis
20-May-2006, 17:35
A few months ago I was in the Hoh Rain Forest at Olympic National Park where it was (you guessed it) raining. Not a hard, driving rain but the intermittent drippy kind. I also use a Kelty Redwing pack and a reel case for my lenses. On this occasion I brought along a couple of trash bags. I draped one across my camera when I had it set up and rain was drizzling, waiting until the drizzle let up to take the shot. When the rain got too heavy to take photos, I folded up the camera on its tripod, put one bag over it, and put the other bag over the top of the backpack. This worked out okay.

The only problem I had was with film. I use Quickloads, and I think some got wet. Three exposures of Fuji Acros had stains on them after processing, but none of the Provia sheets did. When I asked, the folks who developed my film told me that getting the film wet could cause this. Hmm. I suspected a problem with development but I dunno. Next time I'll put my Quickloads in a large ziplock bag, just in case. Otherwise I'd use the same system again in a light rain.

A funny note: the Hoh Rain Forest is the wettest place in the contiguous 48 states, with 120+ inches of rain a year. Its visitors center has waterless urinals in order to save water. Heh.

Helen Bach
20-May-2006, 17:46
Most of the folks I know use a heavy plastic bag inside their rucksack, renewing it when it gets worn. Some people use contractor's rubble bags, some use plastic bivvy bags with the top folded down and some use old fertiliser bags.

Best,
Helen

Dan V
20-May-2006, 21:04
At the shop I bought my hiking pack from, they sold sold waterproof covers for packs of different sizes. It's like a big waterproof bag with drawstrings on the bottom, pull it over, pull it shut, keep your gear dry and save a few hundred dollars (over buying a waterproof pack).

My Mountainsmith pack has a rain cover built in; but if it didn't, I like Fred's solution best.

Hiro
20-May-2006, 23:57
I should have thought of ready-made rain covers. Found them on REI.com and will check them out along with other goodies. Garbage bags would also be handy for the photo gear and other stuff. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'm still uncomfortable about shooting in the rain. Past threads suggest it's not a problem IF you dry the gear afterwards, but I'm afraid a drop of water that remains in the shutter could do quite a bit of damage. Is there a model procedure to make sure?

John Kasaian
29-May-2006, 20:30
A black shower curtain is always a handy item to have along in rainy weather!

Ron Marshall
30-May-2006, 09:29
My raincover is permanently in the side pocket of my Kelty Coyote. If rain is threatening I also bring a small folding umbrella and a shower curtain that I have modified by cutting a filter size hole near the center. The hole slides over the lens and is held in place by an elastic, a uv filter over the lens is wiped just before making the exposure. The front bottom curtain ends are tied to the tripod legs with shoelaces. The camera is set-up under the curtain, so in a light rain it is feasable. Great for waiting for after-storm light.

Keith S. Walklet
30-May-2006, 16:12
Persistent rain can be challenging to work in. I worked in a steady rain with extended downpours last autumn in the northeast because, well, it was worth it. But, even with all of my precautions, my pack and some gear came away sodden (even more so than on a trip to the Hawaiian coast).

The hardest part was keeping the pack dry, even with its rain cover while I was photographing. I didn't anticipate the capillary action of the water, which seeped in around the edges and saturated the pack. Rather than a trash can liner, a 6' suare sheet of visqueen might have worked well to cover it all. For photographing, I used a golf umbrella and my waterproof focusing cloth to keep the gear dry. Between the umbrella and a flarebuster used as a shield from falling drops, I was able to keep drips off the front lens element, but the damp air still seemed to envelope everything I was carrying.

I holed up in a hotel for a night to give everything a chance to dry out, helping things along with a variety of techniques. I bought a big bag of rice, a box of 2 quart ziplocks, a dozen pairs of cotton socks, some towels and the local newspaper.

I emptied everything out of the pack and stuffed it with newspaper (and did the same for my soaked boots).

I then wiped the lens board and exterior of each lens with the towel before placing each in a ziplock with a sock filled with rice to act as a dessicant.

Worked like a charm and I was back in business the next day. Just for good measure, I kept the lenses stored in the ziplocks with the rice-filled socks for another week.

Hiro
30-May-2006, 22:01
For now, I bought a rain cover at REI and keep it in the backpack along with a couple of trash bags.

John and Ron,
Thanks for further advice. I read in Jack Dykinga's book about the shower cap (which I've collected a few) but a shower curtain! I think it's a better idea.

Keith,
Thanks for sharing your experience. Although I’m not sure if I could bring myself to brave the weather with LF yet, my comfort level has improved some. I thought it would take much effort and creativity, but rice as desiccant is a wild concept! When I apply the method, I'll make sure to try if the rice is edible after that. Otherwise I'd get a whack from my parents for wasting food.

If anyone is interested in reading more about how to shoot in rain, here are some (old) thread numbers I bookmarked: 434068, 498536, 496617, 501336.

fourbyfive
31-May-2006, 04:56
I do a lot of hiking and flyfishing. Spend much time doing either one of those and you're going to end up wet. For my large external frame pack for overnight hikes, I have a pack cover that you can buy at any store that sells hiking stuff. BUT, to make sure certain things in the pack stay dry (ie. sleeping bag, camera equipment, at least one set of clothes) I have found nothing better than trash compactor bags. You can buy them at almost any grocery store. They're sturdy, lightweight, and very waterproof. Large Ziplock bags also come in very handy.

Michael Daily
31-May-2006, 15:56
I also use a Kelty Redwing (actually have two--anyone want one?) for my DD 8x10 or DD5x7. For a darkcloth I use a large piece of bellows material--rubberized and waterproof. Lenses go in Tupperware, filmholders in ziploc bags. For travel in rain the camera goes in a garbage bag. When the camera is on the Giotto CF tripod, the bag hangs from the hook under the head. The pack can be loaded and unloaded hanging and nothing has to go in the mud...
Michael

Collin Orthner
31-May-2006, 19:46
Hi Michael,
I may be interested in your extra Redwing. I sent a private message. Thanks.

CXC
1-Jun-2006, 09:54
In inclement weather, I downsize from LF to MF/35mm and go tripodless. LF taxes all of my skills and patience in the best of weather...

Ron Marshall
1-Jun-2006, 14:33
If heavy rain is a possibility I put the contents of my pack into a $20 kayaking dry bag, which is waterproof and durable, and also put the rain cover on my pack. I set-up under a golf umbrella then cover the camera with a shower curtain with a hole cut for the lens. I leave a UV filer on. I never attach the umbrella to the camera, I just use it while I get out the shower curtain.

Paul Coppin
18-Jun-2006, 12:11
My favourite wet weather cover for hiking with gear is a good quality nylon poncho. There are versions with extra material in the back for covering a pack. If the camera is on the tripod, I usually cover it with a water resistant nylon stuff sack, tied down, for carry. If that's not good enough, its usually time to pack the camera and stuff up properly and baggie it all. A poncho can also work as a cover for the camera on a tripod. Some velcro ties or lengths of cord to tie up stuff is a good idea. Some days, its what God made 35mm for...:)

fotographis
19-Jun-2006, 07:19
I use a "Fishpond Cloudburst Gear Bag". It has a zip-out waterproof rain cover, and very important to me, a moulded waterproof bottom, which means I can set the bag down anywhere and not worry that water is going to leak into the bag from the ground. Being a bag made for fishermen, it has pockets and zippered compartments just about everywhere, and I seem to have filled them all. The bag is 15x8x11, and with very little adaptation, the bag works well with both my old Acra-Swiss or Mamiya RZ. The Fishpond has turned out to be my favorite large and medium format shooting bag, and I use it all the time, even when the weather is fine.

Frank Petronio
19-Jun-2006, 07:51
I was just photographing my daughter out in the rain with the dSLR. I think I am going to start doing more photos in the rain, it is really quite lovely...

Seems like being careful and using cheap plastic bags is enough until you get into kayak level gear...