PDA

View Full Version : I would like some advice on what type of camera I should buy for a long photo trip?

Andy F
18-Dec-2023, 19:34
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out what camera I want to buy for a long photography trip. I think I want to take an 8 by 10 camera to South America. I did it last year with an old graphlex with a schneider symmar-s lens on it and I had a great experience. People were so kind to me. I was able to play out my fantasies of being Paul Strand in Scotland or Richard Avedon in the mid-west. I would hike by peoples homes and they would allow me to take pictures of them while they were just going about their day. I feel like it is time to move forward with something more substantial. I was wondering what people would use for a trip like this. I was thinking about getting a Kodak Master View or maybe a Tachihara. What would other people do? Also, what lenses would people take?

-Andrew

Mark Sampson
18-Dec-2023, 20:30
If you've already done this once with a 4x5 Graflex, you're aware of the weight and bulk of an 8x10. Its just more (a lot more) of what you're already used to.
I've used a Kodak Master 8x10 both on the job and for personal work, and wish I hadn't sold mine. It's a fine rugged camera, whose Achilles' heel is its proprietary (and hard to find) lens boards. My first 4x5, in 1982, was a Tachihara. It served me well for ten years, and I'd be happy with one of their 8x10s.
A slight wide-angle view might be appropriate for your work, photographers as diverse as Joel Meyerowitz and Jock Sturges have preferred it. My first choice for lenses would be a 10"/6.3 Kodak Wide Field Ektar, a fine lens that gives beautiful tonality and sharpness. Naturally you'd want to have the shutter serviced before going overseas with one, as they are all at least 55 years old now. I haven't used one but many people have used and spoken highly of the 250mm Fujinon-W. Paul Strand used a 12" Goerz Dagor on his 8x10 Deardorff, another classic lens (if slightly less wide).
You're going to get many different opinions on this subject, we all do things a bit differently; I'm just first in line.
Best of luck with your search and your intriguing project!

AuditorOne
18-Dec-2023, 21:15
Like Mark Sampson says, everyone has their opinion. Intrepid has a great new 8x10 that is very portable. Very reasonable prices as well. I own a 4x5 Intrepid that I absolutely love and am using fairly regularly along with a Cambo monorail to re-learn what I seem to have forgotten about large format photography.

But there are a number of great options out there and used cameras can be very useful. Right now I have marvelous Conley 8x10 that was built in the very early part of the 1900s. I haven't used it in quite awhile but it looks ready for me anytime I'm ready to go out again. My lens of choice was the 12" Goerz Dagor. It is pretty sturdy but not so heavy that you can't pack it around. Of course you are well aware that the camera is only part of the weight and bulk. Film, film holders, and everything else contribute as well.

Maris Rusis
18-Dec-2023, 22:08
I've done extended photographic tours within Australia using a Tachihara 810HD triple extension camera and it did everything asked of it. Lenses were a Fujinon-W 300mm, a Nikkor-W 210mm, and a Schneider Super Angulon 121mm. The Nikkor-W 210mm is "sort of" convertible. With the front half screwed off it delivers about 720mm at f16 which, when well stopped down, gives useable negatives for contact printing. BUT none of this involved hiking except for short day excursions. Working out of a car is pretty well essential if you have to move every day or two. And the car is a somewhat secure lock-up for you, your gear, and your travel supplies.

I toyed with the idea of traveling overseas with a full 8x10 outfit but by the time it came down to five heavy cases and about 85Kg I realised I couldn't single-handedly make it in and out of airports in any sort of physical good order. Then the excess luggage charges would be hurtful but not as painful as the eternal worries about lost baggage.

My big compromise was to travel overseas with a Fuji GSW680, a TLR, and fine grain film. Cameras+meter+film are carry-on luggage and the tripod goes into checked. The negatives are big enough for quality portraits that would gratify most sitters but I'll admit nothing invites people to pose like the presence and majesty of an 8x10 on a big tripod.

Torontoamateur
19-Dec-2023, 03:02
the first issue is film and processing. With the ariport security I believe it is important to have the film developed in the country you are traveling in. I ship my film to the hotel I wll be at . I make thi spre arrangement. Then I make contact with a processing house in the country and arrange for my film to be sent there when I am shooting. The finished film is sent to my home in Canada. NOW TO THE CAMERA? tAKE WHAT YOU CAN PUT IN A CARRY ON. i HAVE AN EARLY kODAK 8X10 THAT FITS AND SOME HOLDERS TOO. hAVE A COMPANION TO BRING THE TRIPOD AND LENSES.

Jim Jones
19-Dec-2023, 07:30
The camera used on a special trip perhaps far from home should be one that the photographer has already used intensely enough to reveal any potential problems, both in the equipment and in your use of it. The act of using unusually large cameras on such a trip may be tempting, but I (and perhaps many more photographers) would place more importance on coming home with the best possible photographs.

Andy F
19-Dec-2023, 09:52
the first issue is film and processing. With the ariport security I believe it is important to have the film developed in the country you are traveling in. I ship my film to the hotel I wll be at . I make thi spre arrangement. Then I make contact with a processing house in the country and arrange for my film to be sent there when I am shooting. The finished film is sent to my home in Canada. NOW TO THE CAMERA? tAKE WHAT YOU CAN PUT IN A CARRY ON. i HAVE AN EARLY kODAK 8X10 THAT FITS AND SOME HOLDERS TOO. hAVE A COMPANION TO BRING THE TRIPOD AND LENSES.

How does that work? My fear is that after spending money on shipping and taxes it via FedEx it still would be exposed to X-rays.

Andy F
19-Dec-2023, 10:13
Jim, I think you have a valid perspective. The issue for me is that I would like to grow as a photographer. It might become an expensive failure which sucks but right now the alternative is to shoot with an old broken Graphlex. I want to be clear you are correct. it is a risk. Still, doing nothing is also a bit of a dead ender. I am kind of getting old so an opportunity like this where I can travel for a good period of time and take pictures might not come up again. So I am really looking for advice on how to move forward not if I should move forward. I know a large format camera multiplies the points of failure and to be honest I also thought about moving forward with something like a Linhof to be safer. Still, for this thread I am interested in how others would move forward with an 8x10.

To be clear. As I said you are absolutely correct in your thinking. You know as they say ..... "sometimes you got to shoot your shot".

Thanks for your advice,

Andrew

jnantz
19-Dec-2023, 14:13
How does that work? My fear is that after spending money on shipping and taxes it via FedEx it still would be exposed to X-rays.

Hi Andy

According to a person who worked for Kodak in the emulsion department and regularly posted on the analog forum, there's a lot of radiation when something is up in the air in the aircraft and he'd suggest that it was more radiation actually flying than the screening devices deliver .. not sure if it's true or not but it kind of makes me wonder if all the worry bout baggage and carry on is a moot point ...

regarding a camera, if you can do with a little less real estate you might look into some sort of graflex sir like a press or compact that can almost be 8x10 but easier to handle ( can be shot handheld ). no tripod needed .. I travelled the streets of besanscon france with a graflex sir, and it was great.

MartyNL
19-Dec-2023, 15:01
I think it's a great idea.

If I were you, I'd probably be taking a close look at some of the newer more modern offerings, not only Intrepid but also one of the following makers;

https://www.gibellinicamera.com/

https://www.stenopeika.com/

Scott Davis
19-Dec-2023, 15:22
As someone who has traveled with bigger cameras, if your budget will allow, look at a Canham 8x10 (used if you can find one to save some cash). I've taken my Canham 5x7 to Mexico and Argentina, as well as multiple locations around the US. They're durable, dependable, lightweight, and they travel well. I'll second the recommendation of the Kodak 250mm Wide-Field Ektar - fantastic lens, with enough coverage for 11x14 so you're unlikely to run out of movements on it, but not so wide that you'll make odd looking environmental portraits. Snag yourself a 14" Commercial Ektar as a companion to it and you'll be all set. The challenge with the 8x10 is that everything else you need with it also gets bigger, so the transportation logistics are a major pain. I have a good Lowepro backpack I use to carry it, but if I were going to take it to Mexico with me on an upcoming trip, I'd get a Pelican case, put the camera, film holders and lenses in the backpack, put that in the Pelican case, and just eat the baggage fees. Tripod and head would go in my other checked bag with my clothes. Then I'd be able to carry the film on the plane with me, and get it hand-inspected. Going to Mexico, I've got friends there with darkrooms, so I would be able to build in a day or two at the end of the trip to process film, or if that didn't work out logistically, hand-carry it home again. I don't know about other Latin American countries, but going in and out of Mexico City I've not had a problem with asking for my film to be hand-inspected.

r.e.
20-Dec-2023, 18:06
I was able to play out my fantasies of being Paul Strand in Scotland or Richard Avedon in the mid-west.

Paul Strand had the sense to use a 5x7 camera, and Avedon had a full crew. He may have had one of his many assistants trip the shutter :)

As a fan of Paul Strand, I was in for a bit of a surprise when I spent several months in Sicily. As with The Godfather, there's quite a gap between Strand's Sicily and the actual country (or, if you prefer, "autonomous region") :)

gypsydog
21-Dec-2023, 07:13
For a lite carry camera I have relied on the 8x10 Century Universal cameras most of my life. They are not nearly as fragile as some may think, I've given them heavy professional use in some sketchy situations with no issues. They have an incredible range of movements and bellows extension in a compact package. The fact they are self casing is an important asset in protecting the camera (bellows) from damage. A good triple convertible lens or two of your chosen focal lengths and you are good to go. I put a body in an RPT case and slip it in a cotton grocery bag and its anonymous. Seriously, these cameras are crucial enough to my work that I maintain a small stable of them so I will never be without one should an accident happen, look into one.

Mark Sampson
21-Dec-2023, 16:23
I never knew that Paul Strand went to Sicily; his book "Un Paese" is about a village in the Po river valley, in north-central Italy. Which certainly will have changed somewhat since the late 1940s when he visited. In those days, he used an 8x10 Deardorff as well as a 5x7 Home Portrait Graflex, both very substantial cameras. (He altered the film gate of the Graflex to 5"x6" to achieve his proper image proportion). He printed by contact; I believe that on his later journeys to Egypt and Ghana he used a Rolleiflex, and enlarged those negatives. Understandable for anyone in their seventies, as he was by then.
Which brings me to Irving Penn, who used a Rollei when photographing for his famous "Worlds in a small Room" series.
It does seem to me (and I took my 4x5 from America to England once) that you can make any format work if you're committed to it.

Jim Jones
21-Dec-2023, 20:18
I returned to the continental United States in 1972 after a Navy career and three years overseas in the aerospace industry. Then large format equipment became practical. Many photographers were downsizing to 4x5, and dumping 5x7 equipment. 35mm and those 5x7 cameras, often with 4x5 backs, served me well until the digital age. Never wanting to print larger than 16x20 was an important factor in those decisions.

r.e.
21-Dec-2023, 22:26
I never knew that Paul Strand went to Sicily

Strand made this photograph in Ragusa, a town 30km (about 18mi) from where I was living. It's so removed from the reality of Ragusa that I think he just made up a version of the place that suited his politics and that he thought would go over well in the United States. I think that his Italian photographs raise some interesting questions about the role of an artist.

Coppola did the same thing in The Godfather, but The Godfather is fiction, not what Strand was allegedly doing. For people who are interested in Sicily, a good place to start is Giuseppe di Lampedusa's The Leopard. The novel, not the film :)

Wikipedia on Ragusa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragusa,_Sicily

Ragusa is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site, called the Val di Noto, due to the extraordinary Baroque architecture that was created after an earthquake in 1693.

Wikipedia on the earthquake, which killed about 60,000 people, and led to the Baroque reconstruction of the communities that were destroyed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1693_Sicily_earthquake

Andy F
22-Dec-2023, 05:57
For a lite carry camera I have relied on the 8x10 Century Universal cameras most of my life. They are not nearly as fragile as some may think, I've given them heavy professional use in some sketchy situations with no issues. They have an incredible range of movements and bellows extension in a compact package. The fact they are self casing is an important asset in protecting the camera (bellows) from damage. A good triple convertible lens or two of your chosen focal lengths and you are good to go. I put a body in an RPT case and slip it in a cotton grocery bag and its anonymous. Seriously, these cameras are crucial enough to my work that I maintain a small stable of them so I will never be without one should an accident happen, look into one.

Hi Gypsydog. I will definitely look into the Century Universal cameras but my guess is that they are going to be relatively expensive and may not do the same thing a cheaper modern camera does (i.e. The Intrepid) .Do the Century Cameras have all the bellow movements you need? It is interesting to hear that they are more sturdy than they look. I always assumed that they were fragile because every time I saw a photograph of them on the web or on ebay they looked banged up to all hell and often falling apart.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely research that option. What lenses to you use on it?

Andy F
22-Dec-2023, 06:02
As someone who has traveled with bigger cameras, if your budget will allow, look at a Canham 8x10 (used if you can find one to save some cash). I've taken my Canham 5x7 to Mexico and Argentina, as well as multiple locations around the US. They're durable, dependable, lightweight, and they travel well. I'll second the recommendation of the Kodak 250mm Wide-Field Ektar - fantastic lens, with enough coverage for 11x14 so you're unlikely to run out of movements on it, but not so wide that you'll make odd looking environmental portraits. Snag yourself a 14" Commercial Ektar as a companion to it and you'll be all set. The challenge with the 8x10 is that everything else you need with it also gets bigger, so the transportation logistics are a major pain. I have a good Lowepro backpack I use to carry it, but if I were going to take it to Mexico with me on an upcoming trip, I'd get a Pelican case, put the camera, film holders and lenses in the backpack, put that in the Pelican case, and just eat the baggage fees. Tripod and head would go in my other checked bag with my clothes. Then I'd be able to carry the film on the plane with me, and get it hand-inspected. Going to Mexico, I've got friends there with darkrooms, so I would be able to build in a day or two at the end of the trip to process film, or if that didn't work out logistically, hand-carry it home again. I don't know about other Latin American countries, but going in and out of Mexico City I've not had a problem with asking for my film to be hand-inspected.

Hi Scott,

It looks like you spend a lot of time shooting in Mexico. Have you ever used a community darkroom down there? It would be interesting to find one. I do like the idea of developing the film before I come home. How much chemicals do you bring down. Is traveling with chemistry ever an issue?

Tin Can
22-Dec-2023, 07:07
I highly suggest https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/

Cheaper than almost any new or used 8X10

I have their latest 8X10, very sturdy and lightweight

Do not buy any Fresnel from anybody

That ship has sailed

I have a few...
I suggest a 35mm canister of Grit for a broken GG, glasse is everywhere

gypsydog
22-Dec-2023, 10:23
Hi Gypsydog. I will definitely look into the Century Universal cameras but my guess is that they are going to be relatively expensive and may not do the same thing a cheaper modern camera does (i.e. The Intrepid) .Do the Century Cameras have all the bellow movements you need? It is interesting to hear that they are more sturdy than they look. I always assumed that they were fragile because every time I saw a photograph of them on the web or on ebay they looked banged up to all hell and often falling apart.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely research that option. What lenses to you use on it?

Far more versatile than the intrepid in every way, not to mention 10+ inches more bellows. It will also handle extremely wide lenses, i have the original recessed board giving movements with basically zero extension. As far as condition, keep in mind the cameras were marketed for professional use in the field, also many were U.S. Military camera's and saw some abuse and some went virtually unused.

Yes its lite, but the really important factors are very long bellows, contortionist level camera movements and self casing.

And since you appreciate the work of Frederick Sommer, you may enjoy this photo of him with his Century Universal.

https://www.artic.edu/artworks/205224/frederick-sommer

gypsydog
22-Dec-2023, 10:46
And just for fun.

Thom Bennett
22-Dec-2023, 11:27
I agree with Mark. The Kodak Master 8x10 is a rugged metal 8x10 camera that is quick to set up and offers fast focusing via the sliding bed. Great for photographing people (which is why I traded the Deardorff with its slower rack & pinion focusing). To deal with the hard-to-find original lens boards I had an adapter made that takes Technika boards. Bonus is that the lenses take up a bit less space in the bag being on the smaller boards. I use Fuji's in 180mm, 250mm, 300mm, & 420mm plus a 360mm Commercial Congo on it and it is a pleasure to set up and use. Good luck on the trip!

If you've already done this once with a 4x5 Graflex, you're aware of the weight and bulk of an 8x10. Its just more (a lot more) of what you're already used to.
I've used a Kodak Master 8x10 both on the job and for personal work, and wish I hadn't sold mine. It's a fine rugged camera, whose Achilles' heel is its proprietary (and hard to find) lens boards. My first 4x5, in 1982, was a Tachihara. It served me well for ten years, and I'd be happy with one of their 8x10s.
A slight wide-angle view might be appropriate for your work, photographers as diverse as Joel Meyerowitz and Jock Sturges have preferred it. My first choice for lenses would be a 10"/6.3 Kodak Wide Field Ektar, a fine lens that gives beautiful tonality and sharpness. Naturally you'd want to have the shutter serviced before going overseas with one, as they are all at least 55 years old now. I haven't used one but many people have used and spoken highly of the 250mm Fujinon-W. Paul Strand used a 12" Goerz Dagor on his 8x10 Deardorff, another classic lens (if slightly less wide).
You're going to get many different opinions on this subject, we all do things a bit differently; I'm just first in line.
Best of luck with your search and your intriguing project!

Andy F
22-Dec-2023, 13:28
I highly suggest https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/

Cheaper than almost any new or used 8X10

I have their latest 8X10, very sturdy and lightweight

Do not buy any Fresnel from anybody

That ship has sailed

I have a few...
I suggest a 35mm canister of Grit for a broken GG, glasse is everywhere

I like the idea of bringing grit incase the ground glass breaks but what do you mean "that ship has sailed" when you are talking about a fresnel glass back?

Andy F
22-Dec-2023, 13:34
Thanks Gypsydog. You are making a real interesting argument.

Andy F
22-Dec-2023, 13:42
I agree with Mark. The Kodak Master 8x10 is a rugged metal 8x10 camera that is quick to set up and offers fast focusing via the sliding bed. Great for photographing people (which is why I traded the Deardorff with its slower rack & pinion focusing). To deal with the hard-to-find original lens boards I had an adapter made that takes Technika boards. Bonus is that the lenses take up a bit less space in the bag being on the smaller boards. I use Fuji's in 180mm, 250mm, 300mm, & 420mm plus a 360mm Commercial Congo on it and it is a pleasure to set up and use. Good luck on the trip!

Hi Thom,
Thanks for the advice. What about the weight of the Master View as compared to the Deardorff. I assume the Master View is much lighter. This could be good because heavier means more stable and less problems with camera movement but it also means it is difficult to carry around. Do you need to shoot with a faster shutter speed with the Masterview. Any issues with wind.

Thom Bennett
22-Dec-2023, 15:17
Andy,

I think the weight of the two cameras is about the same ~12lbs. I'm not a backpacker so don't worry too much about weight but I do like stability.

Speaking of stability, the KMV has a 1/4" tripod hole on the sliding assembly so you can use a monopod or some other form of support to keep things really tight. I tend to use shorter lenses and don't generally have to deal with a lot of wind so I haven't used this feature but I'm glad to know it's there. I'm sure it would really help if you have the front end racked out all the way.

Two other features I forgot to mention: front shift and a micro rise/fall adjustment for those oh-so-tiny tweaks.

It's a very well-designed camera and I haven't missed the "beauty" of the wooden Deardorff. I got over that once I was introduced to the KMV.

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/kodak/masterview.html

Andy F
23-Dec-2023, 09:00
Andy,

I think the weight of the two cameras is about the same ~12lbs. I'm not a backpacker so don't worry too much about weight but I do like stability.

Speaking of stability, the KMV has a 1/4" tripod hole on the sliding assembly so you can use a monopod or some other form of support to keep things really tight. I tend to use shorter lenses and don't generally have to deal with a lot of wind so I haven't used this feature but I'm glad to know it's there. I'm sure it would really help if you have the front end racked out all the way.

Two other features I forgot to mention: front shift and a micro rise/fall adjustment for those oh-so-tiny tweaks.

It's a very well-designed camera and I haven't missed the "beauty" of the wooden Deardorff. I got over that once I was introduced to the KMV.

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/kodak/masterview.html

You used a monopod with an 8x10? I never heard of that before. Isn't that a recipe for a disaster.

Thom Bennett
23-Dec-2023, 13:42
Haha! No, the camera is fully supported by a proper tripod. What I was referring to is the front focusing assembly. That has a 1/4” tripod hole that you could mount a monopod that would give the front of the camera, under the lens, some support if you have a lot of extension.

Andy F
23-Dec-2023, 19:03
Ok Thom. Now that makes sense.

CreationBear
24-Dec-2023, 06:59
Since everyone seems to mentioning shorter lenses, I might put the Walker Titan Xl on your list:
http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html
especially if you think you could leverage the 5x7 reducing back, which also puts 120 into play with the Canham RFB.

r.e.
24-Dec-2023, 17:57
Check out Todd Korol's October video on the Chamonix 810V. Korol is a highly experienced professional photographer, and I think that his judgment can be trusted. Maybe contact him to talk about your plan. He's done a lot of traveling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_EFrXpdKY

Torontoamateur
28-Dec-2023, 07:27
The Gebilini economy camera , Which sells for about $1.300 is 8 lbs and I just saw one on Freestyle. That would be a great choice. And Is new. Aluminum and printed plastic parts.

Scott Davis
2-Jan-2024, 12:42
Hi Scott,

It looks like you spend a lot of time shooting in Mexico. Have you ever used a community darkroom down there? It would be interesting to find one. I do like the idea of developing the film before I come home. How much chemicals do you bring down. Is traveling with chemistry ever an issue?

Hi Andy-

I have not used a community darkroom down there- I've just brought my film back and forth and developed it at home (I've not had any problems with getting my sheet film or roll film hand-inspected at the Mexico City airport). I have some friends down there who have darkrooms I could use if I wanted to process film before I fly. I know of one facility, The George Eastman School (http://georgeeastman.com.mx/instalaciones/) that has darkroom space that I believe you can rent.

Andy F
12-Jan-2024, 10:43
Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for the information it was helpful.

-Andrew

Scott Davis
12-Jan-2024, 11:19
Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for the information it was helpful.

-Andrew

I'll be going back at the end of June. I'll do some more looking around and see if I can find other spaces that are available.