PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F1 tripod

Tudor Vreme
19-May-2006, 09:25
a good tripod and head for a Sinar camera I want to buy, do you have a good advice on what to look at?

I shall use it for architecture and landscape, also I use 300 & 360 mm lenses, so it will be quite a wheight on it.
thanks,

Steve H
19-May-2006, 14:14
I have an F2, and I found that the 3021/3047 combo is perfect for it. The only thing I did was to cut the center post down, as it limited how low the tripod head could be brought down to the ground. Also, the center section isn't the most stable thing in the world, so you wouldn't want to extend it much anyway.
Be sure to use the plate with the large screw in it; as I wouldn't trust the smaller one.

Capocheny
19-May-2006, 21:23
Tudor,

There are many good tripods out there that will easily support a Sinar F camera. I've used a Manfrotto 475 with a geared 400 head from the same manufacturer. It made for a very, very strong combination.

Alternatively, you can find used Majestic tripods on e**y for quite reasonable prices. They ARE heavier (than the 475) but they're also built as solid as Alberta's Rocky Mountains!

Secondly, the head on the Majestic pod (that I owned) had a huge surface area (~4"x6") that will support cameras far, far larger and heavier than your F1.

Hope this helps in your decision-making process. :)

Cheers

Remigius
20-May-2006, 06:09
Tudor,

I use the Manfrotto 055PROB with a geared 410 head. My heaviest lens is a Nikkor 90mm f4.5, which works quite well. The 410 head is a bit less expensive than the 400, but also very comfortable to work with. I strongly suggest to get a geared head, as this makes everything much easier.

tim atherton
20-May-2006, 08:05
I've always found the F1 gets somewhat top heavy on many tripod/head combinations because of the way it is designed.

What's always worked well is to use any reasonably solid tripod with the Sinar tripod head - that set up is solid and keeps the centre of gravity low

Tudor Vreme
22-May-2006, 02:43
Thanks Guys,

I both few minutes ago on ebay a Manfrotto 475B mint condition, thanks for advices,
148 EUR is the price. A head will be the next acquisition.

ball head or geared head?

Capocheny
22-May-2006, 04:42
Hi Tudor,

Congratulations on the 475B... it's a great tripod and I think you'll love it!

I know there are shooters out there who really like using a ball head with their large format cameras but, personally, I'm not in that camp. I'd definitely recommend a geared head.

I use two Manfrotto geared heads for my cameras. One is a Model 400, which is much too large for your F1. It's mounted onto a studio stand with a Sinar X on it. There's a 16" rail, 2 bellows and an intermediate front standard attached to the X (for doing close-up work.) Often times, I'll use either a 240 f5.6 or a Symmar 360 f6.8 lens on the camera. This should give you an idea as to the size and capabilities of the Manfrotto 400 geared head. If weight isn't a major factor and you plan on using it in a studio environment in the future... then this is a GREAT choice to consider. And, I've seen them sell on e**y for a ridiculously low price these days.

The second head is a Manfrotto 410 and holds a Deardorff 5x7/4x5. The longest lens I use on this camera is a Nikkor 240 f5.6. In retrospect, if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with the 405 version rather than the 410 because the 405 is capable of supporting a bit more weight.

Check the specifications on the Model 410... I believe it may be a bit light for use with the F1 (I'm not sure of the exact weight of your camera.) So, I'd probably recommend that you consider the 405 instead.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Tudor Vreme
23-May-2006, 00:53
Thanks Capocheny,

The head is very important, I know.
I use my camera for landscape ( usualy around the car, 4x4 hanging around rural and mountains areas ), architecture and products in a small studio or in improvised studio at clients place.
at the moment I have a ball head - no-name or to old to have something write o it, and despite the movement it gives I don't like the way you fix in the position of the camera, its heavy, and it doesn't have a quick release plate.

the lenses I use are:
360/8 Apo ronar,
300/5.6 sironar,
210/5.6 Fujinon,
150/6.3 SinaronG
121/8 Schneider Superangulon,
75/5.6 Schneider Superangulon
and a Sinar vario film holder ( heavy enough )
and Sinar bino luppe viewer

so it's something to fix on.
thanks

Capocheny
23-May-2006, 13:43
Hi Tudor,

Looking at your list of lenses and accessories... the 405 won't be the best geared head for you either (especially if you mount one of the bigger lenses, binocular hood, and use the Vario film holder on to it.) I believe the maximum it'll handle is somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 or so pounds.

Since you don't wander too far from the car when shooting... I'm beginning to think that, if I were in your shoes, I would sure be leaning towards the Manfrotto 400 head. That's the one I use and, IMHO, it's one great geared head! It's not small or light... but it's still a great head. :)

Having said that... if you're thinking of using this head on the legs you just bought, it might be a bit too much (especially if you combine the camera, this head, and other miscellaneous items onto it.)

For 95% of my work... I use this head (400) on a studio stand and the Sinar X stays on it permanently. It's very, very seldom that I take it outdoors.

So, the options are going to be restricted based on what you mount onto the legs in the way of camera, lens, and accessories. :>|

Perhaps, someone will join in on this discussion with a suggestion for an alternate head (suitable for the Manfrotto Pod Model 475B) since the 405 isn't going to work.

Since the only two heads I use are the 400 (huge & heavy) and 405 (smaller & lighter) geared heads I can't suggest any other combinations.

Let me think about it for a short bit.

Any one else have any thoughts on this? :)

Cheers

Tudor Vreme
24-May-2006, 07:59
thanks,
is useful to get a good advice, in a proper time. I started to look at 405 heads on ebay and I found one about 150 EUR - good price. So I stoped now to see a better option.
At 400 they say that the maximum load capacity is 10 Kg. Teoreticaly it is enough, but the head is 2.6 Kg weight so it's heavy.
What you know about Arca Swiss B2 heads, can it be a better choice?
or simply the sinar knob head will be a solution.

Tudor

Capocheny
24-May-2006, 21:27
thanks,
is useful to get a good advice, in a proper time. I started to look at 405 heads on ebay and I found one about 150 EUR - good price. So I stoped now to see a better option.
At 400 they say that the maximum load capacity is 10 Kg. Teoreticaly it is enough, but the head is 2.6 Kg weight so it's heavy.
What you know about Arca Swiss B2 heads, can it be a better choice?
or simply the sinar knob head will be a solution.

Tudor

Tudor,

I have to say that I really, really, really like the 400 geared head but I can't imagine having to lug it out into the field. Yes, it IS a heavy unit!

At $150 Euros for the 405... (depending on the condition) that's a fairly decent price. The 400 head is going to cost you about 2 or 3 times that much.

As for the Arca Swiss B2 head... I've not had any direct experience with it. I've had the large Manfrotto ball head only. However, there are a lot of users out there who like this head. I didn't keep my ball head for very long... I found it too frustrating to use. :>|

The thing I didn't like about using a ball head with a LF camera is that it didn't allow me the kind of control I can get with a geared head. For example, let's just say that I have the camera set up so that it's level on one plane and I want to alter the camera on another plane...it's hard to make a change to one plane without altering the other. Whereas, with a geared head... no problem! That's why I personally prefer a geared head.

Again, some people like a ball head and don't have any issues with them. It just wasn't MY cup of tea!

In regards to the Sinar head... are you referring to the tilt-head? If you are... it's a very functional head as well. I've known LF shooters who have used one with their F2 and wouldn't go with any other head! :)

Too many choices, aren't there? :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers