PDA

View Full Version : How have you shopped for lenses over the years?

StrangleMeRandy
13-Dec-2023, 08:40
I've gone from just looking for cheap and interesting, to obsessing over Fuji's more modern designs. I've yet to pick up any lemons, and I have some older lenses I really like, but I really really like my Fujinon W 180/5.6 and would like to get some comparable lenses.

How has your kit evolved? Any missing pieces, any grails? Do you know exactly what you're looking for, or do you have general requirements? Any anecdotes you'd like to share? Any tips you've picked up?

Dan Fromm
13-Dec-2023, 09:00
The world has changed so much that the ways and places how and where I've shopped for LF lenses from 20-40 years ago no longer exist. My kit was more than complete by 2010. I've bought very little since then.

BrianShaw
13-Dec-2023, 09:18
Sounds like you understood your requirements and desirements, then shopped smartly the first time. Those are the keys to success. Plus staying out of the bargain basement unless willing to lose a bet. That’s worked for me, also.

domaz
13-Dec-2023, 09:24
I've picked up the best deals on LF equipment in person, not online. I got lucky at a couple estate sales and there is a local Camera Swap Show that happens annually where sometimes some interesting things show up. You are much better off being like Dan and getting your kit together and sticking with it though. There are a lot of deals in this hobby though and sometimes it's hard to resist...

Alan Klein
13-Dec-2023, 09:49
I knew nothing about LF. So I used this site's reference articles to get a head start. Lots of great info from many of the people still posting here who have been extremely helpful ever since in explaining things in the forum's threads.
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Mark Sampson
13-Dec-2023, 09:59
In the '80s and '90s I often visited New York City, and I purchased most of my lenses from the used counter at Ken Hansen's and Lens&Repro. Those days are sadly long gone, and my 4x5 kit has been essentially complete since about 2000. And since I lived in Rochester, there were opportunities to buy lenses in person.
Nowadays, I follow the 'for sale" listings here... the "buyer/seller advisory" page will help you decide on a seller, if not a lens. I've never used eBay, as it happens.
I'm still looking for a 500/11 Nikkor-T, but I never have spare cash when they (rarely) come up for sale. So it goes!

djdister
13-Dec-2023, 10:10
85% from this forum, 15% from ebay...

Doremus Scudder
13-Dec-2023, 11:32
As I was interested in putting together a very lightweight kit, I found Kerry Thalman's website very helpful (not sure if it's still up). He had a lot of information about size, weight and coverage of many lenses.

As for where I purchased them: Some new from Calumet (remember them) some used from eBay, some from camera stores, second hand stores, etc.; wherever I could find what I wanted at a price I could afford.

Best,

Doremus

Dan Fromm
13-Dec-2023, 12:10
I've picked up the best deals on LF equipment in person, not online. I got lucky at a couple estate sales and there is a local Camera Swap Show that happens annually where sometimes some interesting things show up. You are much better off being like Dan and getting your kit together and sticking with it though. There are a lot of deals in this hobby though and sometimes it's hard to resist...

domaz, in the early days of eBay (.com, .co.uk, .fr, .de, ...) when few people knew what was what there were wonderful bargains to be had. The same was true of stores' sites before the smaller ones migrated to eBay and other newer sales venues. And also, at least a little, for camera shows. I once bought a 100/6.3 Luminar, like many of the 100s not engraved "Luminar," at a camera show for $25 and a 45/4.5 Mikrotar for $10 at another show.

The last wonderful bargains I found were both on eBay and I'm very surprised that I got them. One was a lens panel for a Koni-Omegaflex that held 58/5.6 Hexanon taking and viewing lenses. These fit a #0 and are the shortest readily available lenses that make infinity on a 2x3 Speed Graphic. Not large format, though. The other was a "65/5.6 Xenar." I'm astonished that no one else looked at the listing title and smelled a Super Angulon. Not engraved "Multicoating" but still ... Isn't other folks' ignorance wonderful?

Embdude
13-Dec-2023, 12:30
Price. I will tens to grab em' if the price is just too good... I already have too many great lenses to shoot with so I am not really looking for anything specific... of course those Heliars look nice...

Tin Can
13-Dec-2023, 13:24
Some know my story

I lived in a artist condo

A members father died. He was a huge collector

The family was about to fill 2 giant dumpsters. The big house was stuffed with decades of good gear

I suggested they sell. I bought as much as I could afford.

I found 10 Leica hidden in the Big piano

Like popcorn

I bought Cooke SF and still use them

Tin Can
13-Dec-2023, 14:15
I mostly buy best from Japan

but soon the party is over

darr
13-Dec-2023, 16:17
Over the years, starting in the early 1980s, I've acquired new Schneider and Rodenstock lenses from reputable sources like Calumet, Badger Graphics, and BH Photo.
During my third round of lens purchases, I opted for used Nikkors purchased from trustworthy sellers such as KEH, Robert's, and sources in Japan.
My most recent addition is my first Fujinon lens, a SW 90/8 that came bundled with a Fotoman 617 camera, which I've grown to appreciate.
I recommend buying from a reputable seller who offers a return policy in case of any issues or discrepancies with your purchase.

fotopfw
13-Dec-2023, 16:25
E-bay from trusted shops, mostly German shops, I live in the Netherlands, direct neighbours

diversey
13-Dec-2023, 17:12
I bought my used LF lenses from many places such as eBay, forums, Craigslist, KEH, auction sites, antique stores, etc. I only owe one brand new lens Cooke XVa that I bought from Badger Graphics. I even accidentally found a Cooke Series II 8.5”/f4.5 with a compound shutter for $50 in a flea market on the way to Everglades National Park.

jnantz
14-Dec-2023, 06:27
some were purchased through eBay, blind, but with right of return from seller if there was an issue, some was bought through KEH, all "bargain" all worth 3x what they were asking because they were a bargain, and from people I have met online over the years who I trust and their prices are honest. I bought a lot of junk brass lenses ( from junk stores, and sellers in the 1990s mainly because I had a speed graphic and not much money, but they are no longer cheep and interesting but worth more than the 10-15$ I paid ). I must live at Lake Wobegon because at least to me they all seem "above average" probably the best lens I have (also my favorite) is the ilex seminat. there aren't many around, dagor77 sold it to me and I guess I got lucky.

moral of the story: just buy no doubt someone else might buy it from you if you don't like it. ( or if you're broke and selling it off )

StrangleMeRandy
15-Dec-2023, 04:00
I bought my used LF lenses from many places such as eBay, forums, Craigslist, KEH, auction sites, antique stores, etc. I only owe one brand new lens Cooke XVa that I bought from Badger Graphics. I even accidentally found a Cooke Series II 8.5”/f4.5 with a compound shutter for $50 in a flea market on the way to Everglades National Park.

XVa, nice! I need two of those...

Havoc
15-Dec-2023, 07:30
Too much? I'm always on the lookout for wider and wider lenses.

jp
15-Dec-2023, 07:42
I'm pretty well set for lenses... Bought most here, some on ebay. I like LF for the variety of lenses available.

Yes, I have the sharp contemporary 90/50/210, but also the smooth triplets, rapid rectilinears, tessars, soft focus lenses, aero ektar, wollaston meniscus, magnifying glass with spaghetti measure, and pinhole options. The most recent lenses I've bought are wide-ish soft focus or lenses I've waited patiently a decade or more to come on the market.

Mark Sawyer
15-Dec-2023, 10:17
"How have you shopped for lenses over the years?"

Constantly...

tundra
15-Dec-2023, 13:00
"How have you shopped for lenses over the years?"

Constantly...

In the 1990s, I bought new Schneiders and Rodenstock/Caltars. I also got a couple of Artars in various flavors and had Grimes put them in shutters.

In the past few years, I've built out my lenses for my 4x5 Crown Graphic and 2x3 Baby Speed Graphic with lenses sourced on eBay and then had them serviced by either Frank Marshman (CameraWiz) or Dave Easterwood, both of whom do excellent work. (Both are semi-retired, so you'll wait to get the stuff back.)

I am now at critical mass for lenses. No, really, I am. I'm not buying more. I'm not. I swear. I can quit any time I want ..... arrrrrhrrgh.

Mark Sawyer
15-Dec-2023, 17:06
I am now at critical mass for lenses. No, really, I am. I'm not buying more. I'm not. I swear. I can quit any time I want ..... arrrrrhrrgh.

A haiku for large format photographers:

I'll buy no lenses.
I have enough already.
Oh, a Cooke Portrait...

tundra
15-Dec-2023, 18:10
A haiku for large format photographers:

I'll buy no lenses.
I have enough already.
Oh, a Cooke Portrait...

Maaaaaaam, MAAAAAAAM, Mark's teasing me ...

Mark Sampson
15-Dec-2023, 21:58
Haha. Last week I was at a garage sale and picked up a clean 100/6.3 Kodak Wide Field Ektar- from 1948, just like my favorite 135/6.3 WFE. Couldn't pass it up, although I already have a (much larger) 90/8 Nikkor-SW. Oh well, I'll call it a "backpacking" lens, as it's so tiny.

Mark Sawyer
15-Dec-2023, 22:36
Let's face it. We just can't help ourselves...

neil poulsen
15-Dec-2023, 23:46
I've always been one to purchase decent quality lenses at reasonable cost. For me, Symmar-S or Caltar-S II (same lenses) fit into that category. For example, I was told by a Schneider Optics technician that one would need to closely example a photo with a loupe to tell the difference between these lenses and Apo Symmar lenses.

To go along with those, I purchased Super Angulan 75mm f5.6, Super Angolan 90mm f5.6 and Super Angulan 121mm f8 lenses.

So, my kit included those super-wides, and 150mm f5.6, 180mm f5.6, and 240mm f5.6, Symmar-S lenses, and both a 300 f5.6 and a 360mm Caltar-S II lens.

Since that time, I decided to improve the quality of my lenses. So, I traded back and forth to eventually upgrade to a similar line of Apo Symmar lenses. (100mm, 120mm, 150mm, and 180mm.) Also, 47mm and 58mm Super-Angulon XL lenses. I still have the 75mm f5.6 MC Super Angulan.

I also have the following, special purpose lenses that vary from the Schneider line of lenses:

35mm f4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon. (For MF: Actually covers the 6x9 format.)
90mm f8 Nikon SW. (Same image circle as 90mm f5.6 SA, but much lighter.)
105mm Fujinon f8 SW. (Fill a gap between the 90mm and the 121mm SA. Schneider has nothing to compare.)
250mm f6.3 Fujinon. (Smaller than the gigantic 240mm App Symmar, yet still MC)
360mm and 500mm Nikon Tele MC lenses. (Great for 4x5, and far less expensive than the corresponding App Symmar lenses.)

Arguably, I could have traded the single-coated 121mm f8 SA for the MC 120mm f8 SA. But, I figured that, if the 121mm SA lens was good enough for Ansel Adams, it was good enough for me.

I might also have traded the 75mm f5.6 SA for its corresponding XL version. But, the latter is simply too huge to be practical.

otto.f
16-Dec-2023, 00:49
When I started in the 90’s I preferred Schneider above Rodenstock. When I picked LF up again in 2018 after 15 years working with mostly Leica, my first concern were the focal lenghts. I had very good experience with Schneider 90 and knew that a 75mm is a lot of unnecessary ado (I restarted with a Chamonix 45F2). Formerly I was also a bit addicted to the Schneider 210 but found out later that Schneider’s 150 is my most liked lens in the field. More recently I began to search for character lenses, and thanks to this forum, I was reminded of the Voigtländer Heliars, especially for studio work with stills because of its bo-keh. I also bought Nikon 300 because it is so handy in the field and not expensive enough to hesitate.

I do not know Fuji from own experience but what I have seen I have the impression that they are primarily very sharp (which is important), but not much more than that. Formerly I worked a lot with color, which nowadays is unnecessarily expensive now but that was an important reason for Schneiders. Now that I work with B&W only I look broader, but the old classics are getting more and more expensive.

Greg
16-Dec-2023, 04:24
90mm f/5.6 Schneider Super-Angulon XL with Schneider IVa Center ND filter for whole plate - lens was an absolute bargain on eBay - Buy It Now and I couldn't pass it up, BUT the IVa Center ND filter took me 3 years to find one FS. The filter costs more than the lens and was shipped from Germany to the USA in a plain unpadded manila envelope! Amazingly arrived unbroken.

5.9” No. 5 Gray Periscope for 11x14 - took me many years to acquire this optic from a dealer in England. Probably, no definitely, paid too much for that barrel lens. SK Grimes amazingly mounted it into a Copal #3. No regrets though in the end.

12 inch f/4.5 Wollensak Velostigmat Series II in a BETAX 5 - my very first LF lens for 8x10. In the mid 1970s I bought it from a Photo store in New Britain, Connecticut for all of $25.00 cash. Store owner skipped town the next day.

330mm f/6.8 IA Raptar, 508mm (20”), 647mm (25 ½”) Alphax - previous owner bought it new way back when but never used the lens, essentially NOS. Estate sale find.
14” f/6.3 Kodak Commercial Ektar in ILEX No 5. - Essentially NOS, I acquired the lens at the same estate sale.

508mm f/7 Caltar ILEX for 11x14 - a real sleeper for 11x14. At one time there were three of them up for auction on eBay. Bought the best of the three which was in essentially new condition.

600mm f/11.5 S KangRinpoche - acquired for way less that a FUJI on eBay from a South Korean Camera shop. Was described as being graded in "excellent" condition. To my surprise it arrived in essentially new condition and in its original box.

linhofbiker
16-Dec-2023, 05:45
I bought my used LF lenses from camera stores up until the late 1990's when Ebay was the choice.

Then in the late 90's camera shows were a good source where I found a Zeiss Protarlinse set with 22, 29, 35 and 2 41's in shutter that came with an 8x10 camera.
I did a lot of reading on forums and found that the old Schneider Doppel Anastigmat Symmar 6.8 (a Dagor) was good for B/W and found a 240 and 270 on Ebay at a good price.

I was shooting color, mostly 4x5 Fuji 64T, in the late 90's and found the Protarlinses lacking compared to the old 135 Symmar and 135 Componon-S, so traded them for a Linhof Technika V 6x9 with 2 lenses. This trade was a straight swap with a photographer in New Zealand.

tundra
16-Dec-2023, 10:06
When I started in the 90’s I preferred Schneider above Rodenstock. When I picked LF up again in 2018 after 15 years working with mostly Leica, my first concern were the focal lenghts. I had very good experience with Schneider 90 and knew that a 75mm is a lot of unnecessary ado (I restarted with a Chamonix 45F2). Formerly I was also a bit addicted to the Schneider 210 but found out later that Schneider’s 150 is my most liked lens in the field. More recently I began to search for character lenses, and thanks to this forum, I was reminded of the Voigtländer Heliars, especially for studio work with stills because of its bo-keh. I also bought Nikon 300 because it is so handy in the field and not expensive enough to hesitate.

I do not know Fuji from own experience but what I have seen I have the impression that they are primarily very sharp (which is important), but not much more than that. Formerly I worked a lot with color, which nowadays is unnecessarily expensive now but that was an important reason for Schneiders. Now that I work with B&W only I look broader, but the old classics are getting more and more expensive.

My 150mm f/5.6 APO Symmar is one of my most frequently used 4x5 lenses along with my 210mm f/6.3 Caltar-II (Rodenstock).

Chauncey Walden
16-Dec-2023, 16:41
Like Mark Sawyer: see lens, like lens, buy lens.

StrangleMeRandy
16-Dec-2023, 18:19
As I hinted in my original post, I have a bit of an obsession in building a modern Fuji kit, which I am two lenses away from (125 NSW and CM-W 300... or perhaps the 360... Hear me, Claus...)

Nonetheless there are oddities I would spring for, given the right opportunity and price, like a myriad of Kodak lenses mounted in Copal (IIRC) shutters for the UK market in dickety two. Did Kodak sell much in the way of optics in Japan back then? I just really like Copal shutters, and I highly value having consistent operation across lenses. I digress!

LabRat
16-Dec-2023, 19:39
I picked up lenses cheap over decades and didn't have an application for them then, but have been trying out new formats and applications and some now have come to life for me in the present...

They do that sometimes... ;)

Steve K

Mark Sawyer
16-Dec-2023, 20:46
As I hinted in my original post, I have a bit of an obsession in building a modern Fuji kit, which I am two lenses away from (125 NSW and CM-W 300... or perhaps the 360... Hear me, Claus...)

Really, I'm not trying to start trouble, but... umm...

You know, the Fujinon L-Series Tessar lenses are really, really nice...

If you really want a complete "Fuji Kit", I think you need all of them.

otto.f
17-Dec-2023, 00:17
My 150mm f/5.6 APO Symmar is one of my most frequently used 4x5 lenses along with my 210mm f/6.3 Caltar-II (Rodenstock).

Yes I meant the APO too

Havoc
17-Dec-2023, 03:24

Just_don't_tempt_me! I really "need" the SWD 65, CM-W 105 and L 400. And an SF of course but with all the sieves. Not that I have taken any 4x5 the last 2 years but they would sit nice in the cabinet.

radu-123
17-Dec-2023, 13:13
I have bought all my lenses from eBay, specifically from Japan, all in mint condition. I have a 75 mm, 90 mm, 135 mm, 150 mm, 210 and 250 mm. All Fujinon, but the 90 ( Schneider super Angulon 90/8).

goamules
21-Dec-2023, 08:11
I was buying hot and heavy from about 2006-2014. I was interested in antique (brass) lenses and rare ones (Struss). I dug deeply, searched hard, networked. Some obscure ones I found on eBay that were unknown at that time. One engraved "Lewis" comes to mind, an American Radial. Some I found at the great Paris camera fair, went 2 years to that. But many I found networking and talking to people. Several times I ended up meeting the sons or grandsons of photography studios from the 1920s-30s. They often still had old brass Petzvals, when they closed. I'd get to know these people and eventually they'd unlock the studio and let me take my pick of all the dusty lenses, usually Vitax and Veritos and such. Sometimes A CC Harrison, still being used after WWII. I'd go to estate sales, like the one for the University president who was friends with Ansel Adams, and created the Center for Creative Photography to house his work. Got a Leica or two there. I went to antique shops. Once I saw a big Anthony studio camera with brass lens in the rafters of an old bar and pizza joint back east in the Appalachians. I remembered it and a year later when back, talked the owner into selling it to me. Climbed up in the rafters and got it down, it's an all original webplate era one.

After a golden age when you could buy a good lens for just a couple hundred, the prices quickly bubbled and it became almost impossible to source. I stopped trying. I see now one or two big sellers in Eu are still at it, with fancy websites. They buy the same way I used to. Me, Eddie, Jim Galli, and a few others were treasure hunters, or as Jim said - pirates seeking booty. I still am, but in other types of antiques. The other tip is don't search were the other searchers are, or the retailers show. Look for lenses at those other places no one thinks about, if you want good prices anyway.

It was an enjoyable period, I wish you all a Merry Christmas.

McSnood
21-Dec-2023, 10:42
I have to have a need. Then has to have good glass, especially rear element. Then if it is a bargain or appropriate price. Then shutter condition, which may affect the my value of the lens. Buying off ebay I always expect condition to be worse than described which means condition of the glass is everything and any hesitation on my part is a "Pass". I would be more likely to buy off this forum when something I am looking for comes around.

Conrad . Marvin
21-Dec-2023, 17:01
After reading Kerry Thalman’s website maybe 10 or so years ago, I was on the lookout for a 150 f9 Kowa for my 5x7. I put in a bid on eBay for a set of two lenses for $79.00. I won the auction and cleaned up the lenses (210 & 150). The were, are both in excellent condition and screwed into Copal shutters directly. I only wanted the 150 but the 210 was excellent and light at f9 so I sold my heavy sinaron s and never looked back. Other lenses were bought in local shops or mail order from various places like Lens and Repro or others. Only a few dogs over the years. Luck, I guess. I particularly have liked Kodak lenses, especially the 203 and 127, but have not enjoyed the weight of the tessars. Artars are so good in the long focal lengths. Etc. . . .

StrangleMeRandy
28-Dec-2023, 11:17
Really, I'm not trying to start trouble, but... umm...

You know, the Fujinon L-Series Tessar lenses are really, really nice...

I've been kicking myself for losing an auction for the 420... and I do want to plan ahead for my inevitable jump to ULF... And in addition to my dream kit of EBC 125/180/300, I already have single coated Fuji 150 and 250, which could use a friend for a nice complete vintage kit...

Any Fujinons languishing on your shelf, Mr. Sawyer? Alms for the poor?