PDA

View Full Version : Re-Entry Strategy

Bob Kerner
9-Dec-2023, 07:53
I’ve been away from the forum and LF photography for several years. Now looking to re-engage. Wondering if my approach is sound-minded.

I went waaay down a rabbit hole in the late 90s, early 2000’s starting with a press camera and then onto a Wisner 4x5. I had a lot of fun but never quite mastered the technical controls to get maximum sharpness. Digital became more affordable and I sold my stuff to learn to make videos. The only thing I held onto was my light meter, loop and the few boxes of negatives I made. Fast forward, and I’ve been shooting film almost exclusively for well over a year. Just bought a MF camera and am really enjoying the larger image and developing at home. Developing at home really helps control the cost. BUT now I miss that really big negative! YouTube isn’t helping either, because now I know there are very inexpensive entry (or re-entry) level cameras out there. Honestly if I had YouTube 20 years ago I’d still have that Wisner because I’d have a better understanding of how to utilize the movements.

So I want to give it another try. The Intrepid looks like a no-brainer place to re-start. Add a lens, some holders and I’m ready to go. New device so I don’t have to worry about getting someone’s cast-away that needs repairs or a new bellows….yes, I know it’s not the precision tool like the Wisner was, but I want to ease back in, not dive in.

Thoughts??

Also I’m going to want to develop at home. No darkroom. I use a Patterson tank for my roll film. I see there’s an insert….does it work?

I live near a community darkroom for printing but it’s not worth the effort to go there to develop. And I imagine I’ll be scanning a fair amount (Epson V750).

I remember this community being very friendly and helpful. I even met complete strangers up in New Paltz for an afternoon of image-making and they didn’t kidnap or kill me!

Thanks

BrianShaw
9-Dec-2023, 08:26
Welcome back!

First, I would respectfully suggest that you thoughtfully review and clearly clarify your goals. If you seek pinpoint focus then a more robust/precision camera than the Intrepid may be a better choice. If economical entry is priority, then it seems a great option. Personally, I’d reconsider the used option as careful shopping can easily avoid the potential problems you mentioned. You’ll need to exercise that skill buying lens/shutter anyway.

A focus on composition and interesting images should be the goal!

For processing look into the Stearman Press 4x5 processor. Real nice and affordable solution for daylight processing is small numbers of negs.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Axelwik
9-Dec-2023, 08:58
I have an Intrepid 5x7 and it's a great field camera that doesn't weigh me down and doesn't get in the way of making good photographs. With a careful and competent photographer it will make photographs just as sharp as anything else; and did I mention that it's lightweight?

Axelwik
9-Dec-2023, 09:04
I've been using a Patterson tank with the Mod54 holder. Works fine for me. Adequate and complete agitation is the key - continuous for 30 seconds at the start and full/complete inversions, but a little slower than you might with roll film as to not dislodge the sheets.

Alan Klein
9-Dec-2023, 09:12
I’ve been away from the forum and LF photography for several years. Now looking to re-engage. Wondering if my approach is sound-minded.

I went waaay down a rabbit hole in the late 90s, early 2000’s starting with a press camera and then onto a Wisner 4x5. I had a lot of fun but never quite mastered the technical controls to get maximum sharpness. Digital became more affordable and I sold my stuff to learn to make videos. The only thing I held onto was my light meter, loop and the few boxes of negatives I made. Fast forward, and I’ve been shooting film almost exclusively for well over a year. Just bought a MF camera and am really enjoying the larger image and developing at home. Developing at home really helps control the cost. BUT now I miss that really big negative! YouTube isn’t helping either, because now I know there are very inexpensive entry (or re-entry) level cameras out there. Honestly if I had YouTube 20 years ago I’d still have that Wisner because I’d have a better understanding of how to utilize the movements.

So I want to give it another try. The Intrepid looks like a no-brainer place to re-start. Add a lens, some holders and I’m ready to go. New device so I don’t have to worry about getting someone’s cast-away that needs repairs or a new bellows….yes, I know it’s not the precision tool like the Wisner was, but I want to ease back in, not dive in.

Thoughts??

Also I’m going to want to develop at home. No darkroom. I use a Patterson tank for my roll film. I see there’s an insert….does it work?

I live near a community darkroom for printing but it’s not worth the effort to go there to develop. And I imagine I’ll be scanning a fair amount (Epson V750).

I remember this community being very friendly and helpful. I even met complete strangers up in New Paltz for an afternoon of image-making and they didn’t kidnap or kill me!

Thanks

Welcome back Bob. I've used LTI Lightside in Manhattan for developing BW in case you'll be using an outside lab. They don't do E6 chromes. I also ship my film to North Coast Photo Services in Carlsbad California. They do all processing including E6. Both firms return the film in plastic sleeves. I have a V850, and it does a nice job with 4x5. I'm sure your V750 will work well too.

I started four years ago during Covid with a new Chamonix. I also didn't want to start with someone else's problems. Of course, as mentioned, large format lenses are all used so you have to be diligent when buying those. Good luck.

paulbarden
9-Dec-2023, 09:33
Bob,
There's no reason to think that you need a much more expensive camera than the Intrepid to get excellent results. The techniques that apply to the Intrepid also apply to cameras 10X the price, and vice versa. Mastery can be accomplished on any reasonably well built camera, and the Intrepid certainly qualifies. I still have my original version of the Intrepid 4x5 (2017) and I have not yet found any compelling reason to replace it with anything better.

There will always be someone happy to advise you to spend $$$$$ to get a new camera, but I think some people place more value on the device itself (and the more expensive, the more value it is perceived to have) than it's actual merits as a photography tool. I think the current version of the Intrepid 4x5 is an excellent choice.

Chuck Pere
9-Dec-2023, 10:01
One possible advantage of buying used is you can sometimes find an entire large format outfit for sale by someone exiting large format by choice or the big sleep. Might get a good bundle price on a camera, lenses, holders and other needed extras.

darr
9-Dec-2023, 10:11
I highly endorse the Paterson tank system paired with the MOD 54 reel for 4x5 film development, as I've achieved consistent results with it over a decade of use.

On the other hand, I recently experimented with the "B's 4x5" development reel for Paterson tanks and cannot vouch for its performance.
When employing my semi-stand development technique, the B's reel led to uneven development.
However, it could be a viable alternative if you are not utilizing a semi-stand or stand development method.

Welcome back, and I wish you the best in your large format endeavors!

Bob Kerner
9-Dec-2023, 17:45
Thank you everyone. I just came in from a day afield with the 6x6 TLR, operating it as I would have if using my old 4x5. Tripod. Deliberate composition, metering etc. Very different from using it in "street" mode!

I'm not locked into the Intrepid but it seems like an 'easy' entry point rather than hunting Ebay etc. But I will poke around and see what's available used. I waited a long time for that Wisner to show up, and really don't want to go thru that wait again!

Brian asked about my goals. I'm an enthusiast. I take photos when I hike, go on vacation and the rare occasion I can get someone to pose for me! Mostly I'm outdoors. Here's a couple of photos from that Wisner. The metadata from the scan says it was shot with a 210mm Fuji. I have some other scans noting I had a 135mm Nikkor as well.

Louis Pacilla
9-Dec-2023, 18:38
One possible advantage of buying used is you can sometimes find an entire large format outfit for sale by someone exiting large format by choice or the big sleep. Might get a good bundle price on a camera, lenses, holders and other needed extras.

plus one!

Welcome back Bob glad to have you around again!

Vaughan
9-Dec-2023, 19:41
...so I don’t have to worry about getting someone’s cast-away that needs repairs or a new bellows...

Ten or more years ago, new bellows were the HARDEST things to find and when you could they were expensive. Now new bellows are being made in China (and elsewhere, but I only have experience with the ones from China) to a high standard. Thin and light tight, very reasonably priced. Multiple colours if that's your thing.

The variety of camera bellows that the sellers are making are impressive, and you can order made-for-a-specific-model and know they will fit. I have bought such bellows for Wista 45N and 45D, Toyo Field 45A, Toyo View 45, Rittreck View 5x7, a Toyo 810 bellows, and also had a bellows custom made to fit a 100 year old Japanese wood 5x7 camera I picked up.

Bellows aren't particularly hard to change, and if you are up to the task you can pick up some real bargains. Go for cameras that have their bellows in tatters and the rest of the camera is dusty but otherwise working and complete: these are the cheapest. Cameras with bellows covered in patches but sold as "mint++++ few leaks" but have parts missing or broken are often more expensive.

Note that original Toyo bellows have not aged well and even if they are unopened NOS or LNIB they will have a hole in every. single. corner. So buy a cheap Toyo Field 45a with ragged bellows and put a new one on it for $200.

Note also that folding wood field cameras almost universally have crinkled and creased bellows from being packed away incorrectly. These look bad and reduce the price significantly but are often light tight and functional. I bought an early Tachihara Fiel 45 with seriously creased bellows, and an immediately ordered a new Chinese replacement bellows. After receiving the camera the bellows look really bad but are light tight. They are apparently made from special sheep leather and are paper-thin, and I couldn't bring myself to replace them.

Michael R
9-Dec-2023, 20:47
I guess an Intrepid (I have no experience with it but others seem to like it and the price is right) or something like a Chamonix maybe. If you go used Sinar monorails are great, but I hear you…used is a bit of a gamble. It was never my thing. Assume “Excellent mint A+++++ wow” means gross and moldy smelly bent warped and you’ll be fine :)

On the developing side I definitely would not use any of the inserts made for Paterson tanks with the possible exception of B’s. My two cents.

Jim Jones
9-Dec-2023, 21:09
America and other countries have been making good view cameras for a long time. Many are a bargain when compared to even the least expensive new cameras. Most were built to last, and last they certainly did. I used them for decades until going digital. Graflex company made the neat Graphic View Camera, built to be as durable as their more famous press cameras. Even my 100-year-old R. B. Cycle Graphic seems to be in perfect working order, although its leather case and straps are failing. Burke & James view cameras might not be quite as elegant, but they too served me well. Some of the new camera companies may have knowledge of how cameras function. The experience and the facilities to produce them may well be another matter.

otto.f
10-Dec-2023, 00:21
“Thoughts?? “

In the end you will want a darkroom. I do not see a nice difference in favor of film in scanning LF sheets. Besides, I actually hate scanning, it’s not at all a nice thing to spend time on whereas wet printing always has that magical moment and the proud that you made it at last how you had visualized it.

j.e.simmons
10-Dec-2023, 04:28
I'd suggest that you look at Sinars for sale on keh.com and usedphotopro.com. Those are top of the line cameras that sell for only a few hundred dollars now. Those two companies have accurate descriptions and return policies, unlike ebay. I've never seen an Intrepid, so can't comment on them.

jnantz
10-Dec-2023, 05:13
there are some processes that do not require a darkroom to make prints (contact prints) ... you might not need a darkroom..
if you have access to the classifieds here there might be cameras &c. I've never seen an intrepid, if you read the posts on-site
people seem to either love them or hate them .. like the carbon fiber toyo view / field cameras .. my only advice would. be to
NOT buy some antique clunker that needs a little work / TLC that you need to manufacture bellows for &c ...
and send your lenses out for a CLA so your shutters are calibrated ...
have fun!

Axelwik
10-Dec-2023, 08:59
A new Intrepid 4x5 is about $390 right now (varies due to exchange rate).

New Intrepid, careful selection of a couple lenses, a few good film holders, and you're in business - no messing with a used camera that that was someone else's problem and is now your problem.

Here's a photo of my 5x7 Intrepid in action making a 10-minute exposure (no light leaks - it's new!):https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53056362342_4bdeff2c36_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2oQpJ4Y)thumbnail_image0 (20) (https://flic.kr/p/2oQpJ4Y) by Marco Wikstrom (https://www.flickr.com/photos/197947664@N05/), on Flickr

Bob Kerner
10-Dec-2023, 09:05
A couple of people mentioned the Chamonix. Those are lovely looking cameras but 3x the price. I know, "buy once cry once" but I'd rather start back at $400 than $1500 if I choose to go with a new camera. My first foray into 4x5 ended with me feeling like I quite sucked at it....and that's on me because I didn't really put the effort into it.....and because I was sending everything to the lab, the gap between shooting and seeing the image wasn't particularly helpful to me understanding what I was doing correctly or incorrectly. So I'm trying to exercise some moderation!

What are your thoughts on:
1. Film holders, new vs used? I suppose this is like anything used that "it depends", but I wonder what condition some of these things are in with the potential for cracks in the plastic or uneven film channel guides. Toyo holders are going for $120-150 for a new pair.
2. Fresnel or no? I honestly cannot recall whether my Wisner Tech Field had a fresnel. I think so but don't have any pictures of the rear standard. I wear reading glasses if that matters.

Bob Kerner
10-Dec-2023, 09:09
A new Intrepid 4x5 is about $390 right now (varies due to exchange rate).

New Intrepid, careful selection of a couple lenses, a few good film holders, and you're in business - no messing with a used camera that that was someone else's problem and is now your problem.

You're feeding into my thought process! One of the concerns I've read about and seen (Youtube) is that you need to keep the lenses on the lighter side; otherwise the front standard can get squirrelly. Is that true? I've never put much thought into the weight of lenses.

paulbarden
10-Dec-2023, 09:34
You're feeding into my thought process! One of the concerns I've read about and seen (Youtube) is that you need to keep the lenses on the lighter side; otherwise the front standard can get squirrelly. Is that true? I've never put much thought into the weight of lenses.

I've not had a problem with somewhat heavier lenses on my Intrepids, as long as I don't stick a Petzval on them!
Intrepid used to warn users not to put "heavy" lenses in their cameras, but now they state: "The Intrepid 4x5 will accept all standard copal shutter style 4x5 lenses from 75mm-300mm", with no mention about weight limitations. I think you'll be fine to put most any "standard" lens/shutter on the 4x5 Intrepid without any concerns. Just not an Aero Ektar or something like that.
I regularly put my 300mm f4.5 Kodak Ektar on my 8x10 Intrepid and have no problems with that. The 300mm Ektar is quite heavy. (2 pounds 11 ounces/1220 grams)

Axelwik
10-Dec-2023, 10:38

I haven't noticed any problem mounting a heavy lens, but the heaviest lens that I have is a Fujinon SW 125mm f8 that's not used very often (my Intrepid is 5x7). For 4x5 I typically carry a 135mm f5.6 Sironar N (very small lens) and a Fujinon A 240mm f8 (only slightly larger). My 4x5 is a Tachihara which is only slightly heavier than an Intrepid.

Joshua Dunn
10-Dec-2023, 15:04
Several people have mentioned Sinar as an option. I would consider it. A used Sinar F2 in good condition is often less than $400. They are almost infinite in how you can configure them. So as your needs change so can your camera. And if you decide to go with another system you can likely sell it for what you paid for it. There are also plenty of lens boards available, even free plans to 3D print them if that's your thing.

It will be a little heavier and not as portable as a good wooden folding camera but if you get creative it's easier than you think. Used film holders are a viable option and save you a ton of money compared to buying NOS. I would keep your initial purchase of the camera as reasonable as possible and then save your money for good lenses that match your vision.

-Joshua

BrianShaw
10-Dec-2023, 15:22
Good grief… as a monorail camera user since 1982, I can easily say that the most miserable photo expeditions have been with that camera. Mine, a Cambo, is a sweet and affordable camera but it really doesn’t travel very gracefully past the trunk and parking lot.

Daniel Unkefer
10-Dec-2023, 16:46
Depends. For the price of an Intrepid you can sometimes buy a nice Sinar Norma. During Covid sales drooped and I filled my studio with Normas. If you want to start with the finest, consider checking them out. Sinar has oodles more parts available for sale than other brands, because so many were used professionally. The notion that Normas are not field cameras is laughable. LOL. Good Luck and HAVE FUN. Plenty of good stuff out there.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52628900021_99ca9220d2_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2obCSpX)SONY DSC (https://flic.kr/p/2obCSpX) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

paulbarden
10-Dec-2023, 17:25
Rail cameras can be a nightmare to take out anywhere. They seem to appeal to people who like to torture themselves as part of the creative process. No thank you!

Bob Kerner
10-Dec-2023, 17:43
Not really interested in a monorail

What are your thoughts on this 150mm (https://www.ebay.com/itm/145429959094?hash=item21dc4d11b6:g:kUIAAOSwWqZlTYGX&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0EjliGpQ%2Bg0u7S0iyhpR1dkBAfch%2BftsUNe6XUHoUjbTSX1DFuWQ24of%2F1KC93GhS8bdBsAQU7tWsk7QFsuvdP6DSB3QXb%2FpL79KxArE4UMTRSv%2FWpNdaVbLcFBCo2Ra72UbDbxddyY684%2BdSOfRkPcPP538Ba6U9mpdNMJbm9JTjQLc1eC8rEsdzfzR%2FzjvkJeC%2Bf2O8343nmFYLW37jwYyjLG0Q3g6CuRgBc3kNTCDMHv%2F2K0YTkPaJBXJEZWY%2B1XvoEP9VkAaOqgOKL34Is8%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7DAyeSKYw) ?

Prices jump up pretty quickly into the mid $300 unless willing to purchase from Japan and then you're giving some of that money back in shipping.

BrianShaw
10-Dec-2023, 17:59
I like Xenar lenses. Some say they are a bit soft around the edges, which might be so wide open, but stopped down a bit I’ve found them crisp and delightful.

Alan Klein
11-Dec-2023, 06:56
I have a set of 77 mm filters for my medium format kit that I use with my large format kit. Pick large format lenses that don't exceed the size of your filters. You could use Step Up adapters to reach the filter size.

paulbarden
11-Dec-2023, 08:08
Not really interested in a monorail

What are your thoughts on this 150mm (https://www.ebay.com/itm/145429959094?hash=item21dc4d11b6:g:kUIAAOSwWqZlTYGX&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0EjliGpQ%2Bg0u7S0iyhpR1dkBAfch%2BftsUNe6XUHoUjbTSX1DFuWQ24of%2F1KC93GhS8bdBsAQU7tWsk7QFsuvdP6DSB3QXb%2FpL79KxArE4UMTRSv%2FWpNdaVbLcFBCo2Ra72UbDbxddyY684%2BdSOfRkPcPP538Ba6U9mpdNMJbm9JTjQLc1eC8rEsdzfzR%2FzjvkJeC%2Bf2O8343nmFYLW37jwYyjLG0Q3g6CuRgBc3kNTCDMHv%2F2K0YTkPaJBXJEZWY%2B1XvoEP9VkAaOqgOKL34Is8%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7DAyeSKYw) ?

Prices jump up pretty quickly into the mid $300 unless willing to purchase from Japan and then you're giving some of that money back in shipping.

There's nothing wrong with a Schneider Xenar, but I feel that price is a bit high. The Xenar is a Tessar design, and Schneider did a very good job crafting theirs. I have a few Xenars and like them a lot.
If I were you, I'd consider one of the Kodak Ektar lenses. The 8.5" Commercial Ektar is exceptional, as is the 203mm Ektar (f7.7), which is regarded as one of the best lenses of the 200mm plus/minus category ever made. These can be had for about $200.

Peter De Smidt
11-Dec-2023, 08:34
One thing to consider with old lenses is whether you're going to use filters or not. If so, modern filter threads in a common size are convenient. If you don't plan on using filters, then don't worry about it! An Intrepid is fine.

Bob Kerner
11-Dec-2023, 08:43
There's nothing wrong with a Schneider Xenar, but I feel that price is a bit high. The Xenar is a Tessar design, and Schneider did a very good job crafting theirs. I have a few Xenars and like them a lot.
If I were you, I'd consider one of the Kodak Ektar lenses. The 8.5" Commercial Ektar is exceptional, as is the 203mm Ektar (f7.7), which is regarded as one of the best lenses of the 200mm plus/minus category ever made. These can be had for about $200.

That was the most reasonably priced 150 on the ‘Bay when I searched. Next closest one was a Nikkor at $349. Buying used is not my strong suit. I noticed a number of posting where the pictures all look alike.

BrianShaw
11-Dec-2023, 09:58
That was the most reasonably priced 150 on the ‘Bay when I searched. Next closest one was a Nikkor at $349. Buying used is not my strong suit. I noticed a number of posting where the pictures all look alike.

Peter De Smidt mentioned filters and this is something for you to consider, as well as image circle, relative to your imaging goals. That lens seems to use a bit of an odd filter size - 34mm. While I really like Xenars, you might want to read this before buying to see if anything here helps you make a decision. I'm a bit surprised at the prices of 150's these days...

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/mid-rang.htm

150mm f5.6 Schneider Xenar: Xenar is the trade name Schneider uses for their four element, three group lenses of the classic tessar type design. The Xenars have been produced for over 70 years. During that time, a wide variety of focal lengths (75mm - 480mm) and maximum apertures (f3.5 - f6.1 depending on focal length) have been offered. What a lot of people don't know is that Xenars are still available new in the 150mm and 210mm focal lengths. In order to keep the cost down, even current production Xenars are only single coated. They are supplied in modern Copal shutters. Being tessar types, the coverage is smaller than the plasmats, but it also allows them to be quite small, light and affordable. Specifically, the current 150mm f5.6 Xenar has a published image circle of 173mm, a weight of 170g, and takes 34mm screw in filters with a new price of $359.00 (as of November 15, 1999 from Badger Graphic Sales). Very compact and lightweight. My friend Chris Perez owns one, and it has excellent sharpness at f22 (see Table 3.). Coverage is tight on 4x5, but if you're willing to sacrifice a little coverage, the current production Xenar is very small and light and inexpensive for a reasonably fast (f5.6), current production lens. In addition to the limited coverage, the other drawback with the 150mm Xenar is the odd filter size. I have been unable to locate an off-the-shelf source for a 34mm - 52mm step-up ring. However, B&H does list a 34mm - 46mm step-up ring in their catalog, so you can make it in two steps. Also, B+W makes a 34mm - 58mm step-up ring, if you have standardized around 58mm filters. If all else fails, for $50.00 (as of November 15, 1999), Steve Grimes can custom fabricate a 34mm - 52mm (or other size) adapter.

The mention of Kodak Commercial Ektars is an interesting one. That line is another one of my absolute favorites. The challenge with them could be the older shutter and bi-post synch. But great lenses of epic reputation and it's nice of Paul to bring them up in a discussion like this.

Michael R
11-Dec-2023, 13:27
Ok I get it if OP simply prefers folding cameras or is a hiker/backpacker, but there have been some other uh let’s just say silly comments about monorails in this thread.

Bob Kerner
11-Dec-2023, 15:16
I'm going to roll with the Intrepid. Turnkey system other than lens, light and available. Even some of the bits & bobs such as film are a little cheaper through their site.

Thank you Brian for the dinner-time reading. Image circle coverage, in my mind, is more important than the filter threads because I've never been a big filter user and there are adapter rings. Goal is a nice clean, functional 150mm or 210...would prefer to start with the 150. I wonder if the prices reflect people like me re-entering the arena or the uptick in interest in film photography in general...more people shopping means sellers can demand more.

I mentioned in my OP that I went down this path many years ago. "Way back then" there was Lens and Repro in NYC...a magnificent shop where you could go and physically inspect and even try equipment before buying it. I miss that experience. I hate not knowing what will show up in the mail, whether you bought a great thing or someone else's nightmare. The Wisner I referred to very quickly started to have issues, it became my nightmare and I sold it for a fraction of what it cost new.

Peter De Smidt
11-Dec-2023, 16:25
A nice and compact Fuji 125W is a good alternative to the 150. I have one and really like it. A slightly wide and a slightly long lens set is a good combo.

Axelwik
11-Dec-2023, 17:18
I'm going to roll with the Intrepid. Turnkey system other than lens, light and available. Even some of the bits & bobs such as film are a little cheaper through their site.

Thank you Brian for the dinner-time reading. Image circle coverage, in my mind, is more important than the filter threads because I've never been a big filter user and there are adapter rings. Goal is a nice clean, functional 150mm or 210...would prefer to start with the 150. I wonder if the prices reflect people like me re-entering the arena or the uptick in interest in film photography in general...more people shopping means sellers can demand more.

I mentioned in my OP that I went down this path many years ago. "Way back then" there was Lens and Repro in NYC...a magnificent shop where you could go and physically inspect and even try equipment before buying it. I miss that experience. I hate not knowing what will show up in the mail, whether you bought a great thing or someone else's nightmare. The Wisner I referred to very quickly started to have issues, it became my nightmare and I sold it for a fraction of what it cost new.

I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

fatherdougal
11-Dec-2023, 20:59
I like my Fujinar W 150. Cost is less than just buying a shutter, light and compact and sharp enough for those few days that I am seeking sharpness. Not a huge image circle however but a solid option if you can live with that.

Bob Kerner
12-Dec-2023, 06:31
Peter De Smidt mentioned filters and this is something for you to consider, as well as image circle, relative to your imaging goals. That lens seems to use a bit of an odd filter size - 34mm. While I really like Xenars, you might want to read this before buying to see if anything here helps you make a decision. I'm a bit surprised at the prices of 150's these days...

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/mid-rang.htm

Thank you again doe this link. I instantly recognized the webpage design, I consulted this information during my first foray into LF…forgot about it long ago. My goodness, some of the glass referred to there is now selling for over a thousand dollars, if you can even find it. I feel like I should go back under my rock! I bought my lenses new back in the early 2000s, and I don’t think I paid more than a few hundred bucks and now they are selling at Leica prices.

I found a 150 f5.6 Fuji W last night at a reasonable price. Trying to get pictures of it.

Axelwik
12-Dec-2023, 08:56
Thank you again doe this link. I instantly recognized the webpage design, I consulted this information during my first foray into LF…forgot about it long ago. My goodness, some of the glass referred to there is now selling for over a thousand dollars, if you can even find it. I feel like I should go back under my rock! I bought my lenses new back in the early 2000s, and I don’t think I paid more than a few hundred bucks and now they are selling at Leica prices.

I found a 150 f5.6 Fuji W last night at a reasonable price. Trying to get pictures of it.

Supply & demand - very little supply of new lenses now. I'm lucky in that a good friend is a skilled professional watchmaker. With lenses, as long as the glass is clean I'll buy a lens, and he's always been able to service and fix the shutters.

There are some good deals out there; in my case usually through local connections. Recently a gallery manager where I've sold connected me with a widow who was trying to quickly unload her late husband's gear, and she didn't care about the price. I got 6 90s vintage lenses and a 4x5 camera for very little - two lenses had been exposed to water and my watchmaker friend was able to clean and repair them.

Bob Kerner
12-Dec-2023, 16:35
Ok. I’m all set. Between the Intrepid and one of the members here I have everything I need to get re-started. Thank you to everyone who offered advice > even the monorail folks :) It’s nice to know there are still a few corners of the Internet where you can get good advice.

Alan Klein
13-Dec-2023, 08:43
Good luck Bob, Post some photos when you get them.

Bob Kerner
13-Jan-2024, 14:23
The Intrepid arrived and my initial impression: the lest precise photographic instrument I've ever used. A bit disappointed but I have to remember the price. The lack of detents on the front standard is a pain, particularly when it doesn't look square to the eye but the bubble level says it is. There are almost no instructions on the company's website about where to attach front standard to the bed; had to watch a few videos to figure out where to screw in for my 150. And, worst of all....although I'm using a recommended lens board, the lever to secure the top edge of the board will not slide down over the edge of the board.....something's off with the tolerance of either the board or the standard. I can make it work, I think. Ground glass had dust on the inside/bellows side......wouldn't have expected that from something that just came from the manufacturer.

My last contact with a 4x5 was a Wisner that had detents galore, so this is bit more fiddly. The movement of the knobs, also, isn't as smooth. I guess I expected something a little more refined in version 4.............Remember the price! Weather should be okay tomorrow for a trip outside to see how it handles in the field.

Jeff Keller
14-Jan-2024, 10:32
You should consider a camera that can do either 4x5 or 5x7. You said you wanted a bigger film size and don't seem to be using large movements. 5x7 capability might not cost much more. Probably, ease of operation should be a high priority: easily moved, set up quickly, no crazy limitation of movements. I've never used an Intrepid but they look pretty straight forward to use.

Welcome back and have fun