PDA

View Full Version : Looking for classic grand hotel tween Baltimore and VA

Frank Petronio
18-May-2006, 16:49
I am looking for a shooting location for a couple of models.

I'm not very familiar with this area - I'm looking for a hotel or large guest house very classic and traditional with a high key paint job (lots of off-white).

We also make a lot of noise and I want to shoot in a suite or large room, so a B&B probably wouldn't work.

And not too dear either... I know this is a tall order.

Actually something old and funky would be fun too. Like some old place from the Anthropologie catalog.

Needs to be between Baltimore to Springfield, Virginia to the sea.

Thanks, Frank

Michael Graves
18-May-2006, 17:07
You're not going to make a big mess with shaving cream are you?

Frank Petronio
18-May-2006, 17:23
No No, you'll see the digi tests next Wednesday and the film in June, after I get back.

Stay tuned for a pretty nude on my site later tonight though...

wfwhitaker
18-May-2006, 18:33
I'm looking for a hotel or large guest house very classic and traditional with a high key paint job (lots of off-white). ....

There's a place that fits the bill and it's smack between Baltimore and VA. It's right along Pennsylvania Ave. In fact, if you can get the current tenant out, I'll pay your day charge!
:)

Ralph Barker
18-May-2006, 18:52
Now, William. ;)

Robert Knight
18-May-2006, 18:58
Try the Charleston Place in Charleston, SC.

Henry Friedman
18-May-2006, 19:42
Robert -

Time to crack open an atlas. South Carolina is not between Baltimore and Virginia!

HMF

Jim Rice
18-May-2006, 21:55
Frank, while not in direct line geographically, check out the greenbriar in "by god west virginia"

Brian Ellis
18-May-2006, 22:43
"Try the Charleston Place in Charleston, SC"

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting tired of all these changes. First this forum changes all around and then they go and move Charleston to somewhere between Va and Baltimore.

Frank Petronio
18-May-2006, 23:13
Dang, leave it to a bunch of landscape photographers to be 3-400 miles off...

Mark Sampson
19-May-2006, 03:58
Around Washington, DC and "not too dear"? Good luck! The Imperial City is not for the thrifty. But check out the Willard Intercontinental in DC- it would meet your other requirements.

Nick Morris
19-May-2006, 04:18
The Jefferson in Richmond. The staircase was used in movie "Gone with the Wind", or so I've heard. Serve a great brunch on Sundays.

jshanesy
19-May-2006, 05:08
The Jefferson in Richmond. The staircase was used in movie "Gone with the Wind", or so I've heard. Serve a great brunch on Sundays.

Well, we're getting closer. Richmond's only about 100 miles south of Springfield, VA.

jshanesy
19-May-2006, 05:11
Needs to be between Baltimore to Springfield, Virginia to the sea.

Thanks, Frank

Does it need to be east of a line between B'more and Springfield?

mark anderson
19-May-2006, 05:11
http://www.pinehurst.com/carolina_historic_hotel.asp

others in the green nav bar,

jshanesy
19-May-2006, 05:22
The Kentlands Mansion (http://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/poi/default.asp?POI_ID=699&TOC=1;8;699;) in Gaithersburg looks like it would fit the bill. The website features a virtual tour.

mark anderson
19-May-2006, 05:39
darn i tried to post a link to a place in nc and it didn't go through.....must be my lucky day

Frank Petronio
19-May-2006, 06:44
One person is coming from Baltimore and the other from Springfield, so I wanted to make it easy on them is all, find something near equal distance...

Michael Graves
19-May-2006, 06:53
Check out the Atlantic Hotel in Ocean City, Maryland. You're on your own for getting permission if you like it. Meanwhile, I've got to get back to work. I'm trying to figure out how to get those Yosemite shot that I took while I was in Florida posted.

jshanesy
19-May-2006, 11:24
One person is coming from Baltimore and the other from Springfield, so I wanted to make it easy on them is all, find something near equal distance...

Gaithersburg's about 1 hour's drive from either Baltimore or Springfield.

Donald Brewster
19-May-2006, 13:50
I'd suggest the Goodstone Inn and Estate in Middleburg, VA. Not technically within your travel range, but very close, would be the Inn at Montchanin Village in Montchanin, DE. The reason I suggest this one is that it has several buildings on site that might enhance the privacy and mitigate the noise factor you expect. Nice gardens too. For a good selection in one place, take a look at http://www.historichotels.org/our_destinations

Chad Jarvis
19-May-2006, 14:13
In Baltimore, the Belvedere is about as grand as it gets.

Unfortunately most of the classic hotels - including the aformentioned - in the region have been converted to apartments/condos, so if signage is part of the point, you'll be hard-pressed to find much. And interiors are pretty much out of the question.

jshanesy
19-May-2006, 19:00
Try the Clyburn Arboretum (http://www.cylburnassociation.org/) in Baltimore. There's a restored Victorian mansion which they might let you use, and the grounds are lovely.