PDA

View Full Version : Developing issues with SP 445 tank

bomzi
17-Nov-2023, 06:53
Can anyone help diagnose the problem here? I'm using a SP-445 tank. The film is Delta 100 developed in HC-110.

C1 - shows some sort of uneven development?
C2 - shows a patch of sky that is darker with a defined edge.

Is this just a development issue or something else?

Thanks.
Randhir

BrianShaw
17-Nov-2023, 06:57
It might be worth showing the whole negative as there possibly seems to be something odd going on in the rebate also.

Which version of the holders do you have? The original holders had some problems that were resolved in a later update. See Stearman Web site if you aren’t already aware of that issue.

bomzi
20-Nov-2023, 16:09
Thanks Brian.
The rebate issue is caused by the negative not sitting correctly in the film holder.
I've processed another 10 sheets and this problem has not come up again. Perhaps I didnt agitate properly...
I'm not sure why version of Stearman holders I have but I did need to shave off some extra plastic bit which were scratching the film.

Steven Ruttenberg
20-Nov-2023, 19:33
I will also mention that the direction of rotation for agitating is crucial. Never rotate the holder with the long narrow edge facing you. Ie, rotating about an axis normal to the large flat sides. Always rotate about an axis that goes thru the long narrow sides ie, with the wide flat side facing you, rotate it away from you thru a complete 360, then reverse that.

Mick Fagan
20-Nov-2023, 20:37
There is a little tab, attached to the lid. This tab can be seen as you look down through the filling/baffle side of the two openings.

If you fill to just cover this tab, then you have covered the film, but crucially, you have left enough spare air space to enable the developer solution room to easily move around. If you fill virtually up to the bottom of the screw cap openings, then there is almost no room for the solution to run around.

Ulophot
20-Nov-2023, 20:40
I also took some very fine emory paper and smoothed a few rough edges on the underside of my holder tabs. No more scratches. The 445 is really an excellent piece of equipment in my view. Once I solved the agitation issues and some anomalies I was having initially, it has been virtually flawless.

Wideview454me
21-Nov-2023, 11:18
I am planning on using the SP-445. Do you have any other bits of info that I need to know about when I use this. Seems like the best way for my system of things to develop 4 x 5 film. Thanks, Steve.

BrianShaw
21-Nov-2023, 11:38
I am planning on using the SP-445. Do you have any other bits of info that I need to know about when I use this. Seems like the best way for my system of things to develop 4 x 5 film. Thanks, Steve.

Squeeze the tank when putting caps on to keep it from leaking. Don’t freak out if it leaks a little anyway.

Ulophot
21-Nov-2023, 17:04
I recommend the video on the Stearman site in which Tim demonstrates a full development cycle, including agitation. adhering to his technique exactly eliminated some problems for me.

Wideview454me
22-Nov-2023, 02:38
Thanks, men. Appreciate the good report on this product. Helped me make my mind up to buy this piece of equipment. Thanks again, D.

Ulophot
22-Nov-2023, 18:56
I believe that Tim has several videos or posts on the site regarding issues that have arisen. And you can call him; he's always very helpful.