PDA

View Full Version : Who is Going to Rockford?

Kerry L. Thalmann
17-May-2006, 14:29
Well the View Camera Large Format Conference is a little over three weeks away. So, I thought it was time for a show of hands to see who is planning to attend the conference and/or trade show.

I'll be there again this year and am looking forward to it. With the new location, it should be possible for many to attend who missed out on previous conferences due to travel issues. I've already exchanged email with several people who will be attending, but I'd like to hear from others as well. It's a great opportunity to catch up with old friends and make some new ones as well.

Hope to see you there,
Kerry

Joseph Kayne
17-May-2006, 14:46
I will be there. I will be presenting on the Midwest Landscape.

Thanks.

Hope to meet some of you.

Joe

Joseph Kayne Photography
www.josephkaynephoto.com

Tom Westbrook
17-May-2006, 14:58
I hope to be there, but am still working out the logistics. I suppose I ought to see if there are any rooms left.

Ted Harris
17-May-2006, 15:44
I'll be there. Moderating the Friday evening panel discussion .... with the chap from Playboy and Kirk Gittings and maybe one other. Doing a workshop and the Speed Date a Camera session with Kerry.

chris_4622
17-May-2006, 15:58
I'll be there. I signed up for a workshop on portraiture, now all I need is some film. I was going to post a question on the forum for a replacement for my usual Efke PL100. The film I got in January was cut for the European market and haven't received a replacement yet. Any suggestions out there?

I'm looking forward to meeting some of the people I read on this forum.

Bruce Watson
17-May-2006, 16:13
I'm going to miss it. It's two day's drive for me. I don't suppose we'll ever have one in the southeast so it may be a while before I make one of these conferences. Not that I don't want to attend, but if I have to balance conference vs. film/chem/paper....

Kerry L. Thalmann
17-May-2006, 16:20
I don't suppose we'll ever have one in the southeast so it may be a while before I make one of these conferences.

Bruce,

I know Steve has seriously considered hosting the conference in Asheville, NC more than once in the past. So, hang in there. You might eventually get one closer to home. I'm personally lobbying for Portland, OR, but one of the great things about this conference is Steve's willingness to move the location from year to year. It gives me a chance to meet new people every year. I met a lot of people in person for the first time at the conference in Springfield, MA last year and I'm sure I'll get to put a lot more faces with names in Rockford this year, too.

Kerry

Tom Westbrook
17-May-2006, 16:53
Well, I officially signed up, so I'll definitely be there. The conference hotel still had a few rooms left at the discount rate when I called just now, in case there are other procrastinators out there.

steve simmons
17-May-2006, 17:17
The Friday night presentation will include Susan Goldman, a food photographer from NYC, George Georgio, Playboy photographer. and Kirk Gittings. Kirk is on a panel on arch photo earlier in the day and Susan and George will show their work Friday evening. Then George, Kirk, and Susan will be on a panel about running a photo business.

Ilford will be previewing new products for the traditional photographer, Igor's Camera, from Cleveland will be exhibiting, Renassaince Photo Tec will be there showing new photo backpacks, CFAAHP will be there to talk about the wet plate process in the trade show, etc.

I always enjoy these affairs and look forward to this one. Thanks for the support.

steve simmons

Kirk Gittings
17-May-2006, 19:01
As some have mentioned above I will be there doing presentations on Arch photography, equipment selection and a panel on business. I would'nt miss it. I haven't missed one yet and look forward to it very much every year.

David Karp
17-May-2006, 23:52
Sorry I will miss it. Originally from Chicago, so would like to get back for a visit but can't make it this year. Hopefully next time it is in the west.

Have a great time.

Linas Kudzma
18-May-2006, 04:21
Kerry,
I made my hotel reservation yesterday. I had a fine time in Springfield last year. Nothing like a group of like-minded individuals sharing ideas and experiences!

Linas

Gary Smith
18-May-2006, 04:37
I really would like to attend, my hometown is only an hour away from there. I was hoping to time a visit home so I could attend the conference, but work is keeping me here in Japan.

Gary

steve simmons
18-May-2006, 06:48
Here is a final list of exhibitors

Visit These Exhibitors at the Conference: Arca Swiss, Badger Graphics, Bergger, Better Light, Bostick and Sullivan, Bromwell Mktg., Calumet, CFAAHP, Cone Editions/Inkjet Mall, Cooke Optics, Darkroom Automation, EJ Arts, Fuji, Hunt's Photo, HP Mktg.,Igor's Cameras, Ilford, Kodak, Laser Light, Lee Filters, Mid-West Photo, Pixilnation, Quality Camera, Renassaince Photo Tec., Ries Tripods, Schneider, Toyo, Wehman Cameras...& More!

If you are looking to buy a camera, lens, etc. this may be the largest collection of new and used lf cameras and accessories anywhere in the US. This trade show is free, just show up and walk in.

Best Western Clocktower Resort in Rockford, IL. Their phone is 815-398-6000.

steve simmons

Paul Metcalf
18-May-2006, 08:11
I "have" to be in RMNP that week, so will miss it this time. Kirk, I have to ask, do you think anyone will really notice your architecture work (despite it being fantastic) next to George Georgio's? ;-)

Kirk Gittings
18-May-2006, 11:05
Paul,

Point well taken. At past conferences I have had to present with some real "heavyweights" and my work has held up well. At the first one I was pretty nervous about that. Those heavyweights have included such luminaries as Jack Dykinga, David Muench, Michael A. Smith, Mark Citret etc.

Having said that, as sensual as the landscapes of Muench and Dykinga can be they are not nearly as captivating as a sensual naked woman.

Luckily that particular discusion is on business issues and hopefully the backdrop will not be the lastest playmates in their full splender or no one will be listening either to the discussion or looking at my work.

steve simmons
18-May-2006, 11:16
I regret to say that the Playboy photographer's presentation will not be a series of centerfold images. Playboy has used the view camera for just about everything from the beginning and the talk will be about the evolution of the equipment over the years and the practical side of running a studio.

On the other hand, we have added a presentation by Susan Goldman, a nationally known food photographer from NYC, on shooting naked food for editorial and advertising purposes. She will talk about the business of being a food photographer, how the images are made and used, and the equpment she has used over the years. After the two presentations Ted Harris will moderate a panel on running a photo business.

steve simmons

Herb Cunningham
19-May-2006, 13:49
I will be there- last year was my first and I discovered steve is
a pretty agreeable guy (seriously).

AND the talks were great, and I spent too much money.

Herb

Christopher Perez
19-May-2006, 14:24
Well, I too would like to see one of these conferences held in Portland, Oregon. I think the city would provide a wonderful backdrop for all things related to LF. So here's my vote to lobby for Portland, Oregon in 2007.

BTW, is this anything like bidding on an Olympic host site? Does money need to pass under the table? Or something? ;)

This year, India calls. Have fun, y'all!

... I'm personally lobbying for Portland, OR...

Kerry

Diane Maher
19-May-2006, 15:52
I'm going and I'm excited! :D I'm taking the wet plate workshop and the LF portraiture workshop. I'm glad it's where it is, the coastal locations are expensive to get to, especially with gear in tow, but this one's not that far for me. But, you can't please everyone all the time.

Capocheny
19-May-2006, 21:10
Hi Kerry,

As much as I'd love to attend, Rockford, IL is just a tad bit too far for us to travel to. Portland, Oregon, on the other hand, would have been far more accessible!

It sounds like it'll be a lot of fun and... I wish the Conference organizers good luck and great success! :)

Cheers