PDA

View Full Version : fungus amongst us

jerry smithson
9-Mar-2000, 16:45
I recently purchased a 90mm F8 Schneider Super Anulon lens with a Compur 0 shutter, it has a Linhof logo engraved on the shutter,and it has a fungus inside the front lens.

Why the Linhof logo on the shutter?

Is there anyway to remove the fungus and does it affect the resolution of the len

N Dhananjay
9-Mar-2000, 19:03
I would imagine it would affect resolution. If it was bad enough, it would probably be quite clearly noticeable. I've heard that they eventually can spread over the whole lens and actually affect the glass itself. I'm not positive about this but I thought exposure to UV was supposed to kill the fungus - so you could leave the lens exposed to the sun, can't do any harm. I wonder if there are chemical means to achieve the same without having to disassemble the lens and separate the elements to clean it. You could check with Steve Grimes. DJ

Ron_673
9-Mar-2000, 21:33
Send your lens to a shop you trust now before the fungus starts etching into the coating. I once had a 90 f5.6 Super Angulon that had fungus and I sent it to Schneider USA and they were able to clean the lens so it looked like new. Peace of mind now and resale in later years will make it worth the $50-$75 it will cost to clean.

Jimi
10-Mar-2000, 04:22
For some general info on this subject look at: http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/

neil poulsen
10-Mar-2000, 08:31
I've always heard that Linhof cherry-picked lenses from a larger collection. They would add their logo to those lenses selected. I have two Schneider lenses that have the logo incribed on the outside edge of the rim.

Pete Andrews
10-Mar-2000, 08:33
Total agreement with the above. Get that fungus sorted out soonest, if it's not too late already. Not only will it eat through the coating and affect the contrast, but if left long enough it'll actually etch the glass as well, ruining the lens completely. A good exposure to UV or strong sunlight will arrest the fungus, but it needs to be properly removed. If the lens is kept in a leather bag or case, throw that bag/case away, it'll harbour the fungus, and probably caused it in the first place.

Linhof supplied (still supply?) Schneider lenses under their own name (at a premium) for their Kardan and Technika cameras.