PDA

View Full Version : Linhof B1 rail extension stuck on

jswinny
14-Nov-2023, 05:20
I'm hoping for some advice on how to disassemble the rail on a Linhof Kardan B1-System 8x10 camera. I was lucky enough to find this in an estate sale with 8x10 and 4x5 backs, the below extension, and the rail extension (and a dozen Fidelity Deluxe holders). It's well used but all there, and apart from a mis-folded bellows (which after careful manipulation has refolded correctly and is under a book) everything works except for the rail extension, which is stuck on. I am new to this particular system, and don't know for sure how the extension is supposed to be released. There is a black plastic cap on the front end, and on the back end of the rail there is an aluminum knob. Unfortunately the knob looks like it has taken a beating - perhaps from the camera tipping over more than once. The knob is askew, as if whatever rod it may be attached to has been slightly bent, now jamming the inside of the knob against the outside of the rail. My assumption is that this knob must be turned to release the rail - or does the black cap on the front function as a knob?

Assuming that the knob must be turned, the next question is how to do so. I wrapped an old bicycle inner tube around it and applied what force I could with channel lock pliers, but I have no way of securely holding the rail itself (which still has both standards on it). Can the black cap on the front be removed without unscrewing the knob? If so I could remove the standards and perhaps find a way to hold the rail in a wood vise.

I am hoping for any advice here, and thanks.

JMO
14-Nov-2023, 07:47
We don't know where you’re located, but if you are unsuccessful and stumped on how to repair and make this rail system operable, you could always contact Auston Calhoon at LAFLEX in LaJolla CA. He has a website, and is excellent on repairs and reconditioning of anything Linhof. I purchased a superbly reconditioned Linhof Master Kardan GTL from him 3-4 years ago, and visited his shop when I (and it) was in Rancho Mirage area a couple of years ago, and noted that he has lots of parts and routinely has various Linhof cameras and other gear under reconditioning (for subsequent sale). The best way to contact him is to call and speak to him.

jswinny
14-Nov-2023, 10:10
if you are unsuccessful and stumped on how to repair and make this rail system operable, you could always contact Auston Calhoon at LAFLEX in LaJolla CA

Thanks, very helpful reference. The problem is that getting the camera to him - without some way to take off the front and rear standards, and on the rail plus extension - would be an expensive shipping proposition. I am tempted to break off the black plastic cap on the front rail so I can remove the standards. I am concerned that the extension is glued on - whoever owned this camera had glued it to a Majestic tripod head (yesterday's project was gently removing it), clearly liked glue, and there appears to be glue in the seam between the rail and the extension. I just don't know for sure how the thing works, so don't really know how to tackle the problem.

sharktooth
14-Nov-2023, 10:34
You need to provide some pictures of what you're trying to describe.

JMO
14-Nov-2023, 10:40
Call Austin, he will help you with suggestions on how to disassemble your rail, and then other pieces in case you’ll need/want to send it to him. I’ve found him very helpful if you call him.

jswinny
14-Nov-2023, 11:52
You need to provide some pictures of what you're trying to describe.

The camera

The knob

The cap

The joint

Jeff Keller
14-Nov-2023, 13:10
I have a 4x5 Linhof BI at home with an extension rail. I don't remember anything special about taking it apart. I'll take a look at it tonight.

jeff

sharktooth
14-Nov-2023, 13:39
That shiny metal cap in the second photo doesn't look right. The extension rail has a normal looking black end fitting that is used to turn the long rod in the middle of the tube. I suspect the original black end piece has broken off, and someone has jury-rigged this shiny metal piece instead.

The standard rail just has black end caps should just screw off easily.

In a normal system it's a black end that gets turned. It's either connected to the inner rod of the extension, or just a cap.

It could be that the black end piece is actually the extension rail. Try turning that. If it comes of easily, then it's just a cap for the standard rail. If it turns, but doesn't come off, then it's the extension rail, and should release from the main rail.

jswinny
14-Nov-2023, 15:27
That shiny metal cap in the second photo doesn't look right. The extension rail has a normal looking black end fitting that is used to turn the long rod in the middle of the tube. I suspect the original black end piece has broken off, and someone has jury-rigged this shiny metal piece instead.

The standard rail just has black end caps should just screw off easily.

In a normal system it's a black end that gets turned. It's either connected to the inner rod of the extension, or just a cap.

I don't think this is the standard rail that is on the 4x5 B1 - the main section is 65cm from the joint with the extension to the shinny cap on the other end. I cannot find any reference photos online for a later model B1 8x10 such as this. I suspect that the shiny cap is original, and is aluminum (not black plastic) because the rod that goes down the center of the rail is so long, and so would have to be torqued a little harder to make for a tight joint. The black cap on the front end will not come off.

sharktooth
14-Nov-2023, 16:29
Does the black cap turn? If it turns, but doesn't come off, then it's the extension. The plain end caps should come off quite easily. That shiny cap looks way too cheesy to be anything made by Linhof.

Jeff Keller
14-Nov-2023, 23:39
The black caps on the standard rail have a short plastic threaded male fitting (looks larger than 3/8") that could screw into either end of the standard rail. Your black cap should unscrew easily. The metal cap on yours would have to be on the extension tube and is connected to the rod that extends to the opposite end of the extension tube with the fairly large male fitting that would screw into the main tube.

I would guess that something loosened up or broke on yours. Someone "fixed" it by gluing the extension tube to the main tube. Normally they unscrew very easily.

The rod inside the extension tube is roughly 3/8" in diameter and is smaller than the male fitting that screws into the main tube. Maybe the male fitting came off or just came loose so someone glued everything together. I can't see how the male fitting, the rod, and the knob are attached together. There are fittings inside the extension tube that keep everything approximately centered, and block the view of how it all fastens together.

Both my main tube and my extension tube are roughly 32cm long.

jeff

Jeff Keller
15-Nov-2023, 00:15
Black cap

Extension tube

Main tube

sharktooth
15-Nov-2023, 11:16
The Bi-Kardan main rail has no threaded rod in the middle. It only has screw holes at each end. The black caps screw into them.

The extension rail has a long threaded rod in the middle that acts like a bolt. The bolt screws into either end of the main rail. The head of the bolt is attached to what looks like a black cap. You turn that to tighten/loosen the bolt. There is no cap on the other end of the extension rail. The bolt has a retainer to keep it in the extension rail, so the black bolt head cap cannot be completely removed, it just unthreads the bolt.

Try to unscrew the black cap. If the cap comes off, then that section is the main rail. If it doesn't come off, and is harder to turn, then that's the extension rail.

The 65cm long rail is probably the main rail for 8x10, since that's just over twice the focal length of a standard lens for 8x10. I'd guess that the shiny metal cap is someone's home-made replacement for the regular rail cap that got lost.

Jim Andrada
16-Nov-2023, 15:16
And it's worth noting that the rail sections are keyed into each other so they won't turn unless the threaded rod is loosened. This cap is definitely not a Linhof part. I have 3 Linhof cameras that use the same rail sections. (4 x 5, 5 x 7, and 8 x 10)

Worst case you could cut the whole end of the tube off and detach it, then find a new rail - they turn up on eBay from tie\me to time, or just cut down the threaded rod. I had a rail shortened by a local machinist once who did exactly that so I could squish my 5 x 7 down enough to fit in a Kelty backpack. By the way there is a black cap part that's threaded to fit the end of the rail so it accts as a stop.