PDA

View Full Version : Unifiied view by initial post

Scott Knowles
17-May-2006, 11:47
I noticed the unified view list the posts by latest response. Is there a way to list them by the date/time of the original post? I like to see what's new, not what's the newest response to previous posts. I didn't see this in the user settings or the options, but then I'm likely overlooking something, a knob here and lever there.

Tom Westbrook
17-May-2006, 12:01
Check this out and see if it answers your question: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17480

Most of the specialized views are done using special search URLs. There's also a general post about this in the News section: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17419.

I'll probably do a better write-up and put it in the FAQ before too long.

Cheers

Brian Ellis
17-May-2006, 23:18
I open on the forum home page and I click on "questions and answers" to get from there to here. I don't want to exclude anything and I don't want to see only the threads started since my last visit. I'd just like to have the unified view in order by thread start date rather than the date of the most recent post to the forum. Is this possible and if so how is it done (I read the link but got confused because I don't list this page as a favorite or bookmark it and I don't want to exclude anything or mark anything as read or anything else, I'd just like the unified view to be in order by thread start date, most recent first, if that's possible).

Tom Westbrook
18-May-2006, 04:00
This should give you what you are looking for
<base forum url>/search.php?&do=getdaily&days=30&sortby=threadstart (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?&do=getdaily&days=30&sortby=threadstart).

You'll need to bookmark it or add it to your favorites, though, since the link on the home page goes to the official Forum home page.

Brian Ellis
18-May-2006, 08:32
Thanks Tom, that hopefully will do it.

Brian Ellis
18-May-2006, 12:35
Unfortunately that didn't do it. I added that link as a favorite. When I click on it I get a LF Photography Forum page with a window in it. The upper left hand corner of the window says "v Bulletin Message." The text says "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." If I go from that message into Unified View I can see the messages but they're in the same old order, i.e. by most recent post rather than by most recent thread.

Tom Westbrook
18-May-2006, 12:56
I added some links in the Quick Link emnu at near the top. Try those and see if they work for you.

Brian Ellis
18-May-2006, 19:21
Sorry but what's the "Quick Link emnu at near the top." I assume "menu" should read "menu" but I don't know where to look for "at near the top" and I'm unsure exactly what a "Quick Link menu" is.

Ralph Barker
18-May-2006, 21:38
Brian - it's part of the blue menu bar at the top of the screen, 3 lines down from where it says, "Welcome, Brian Ellis". Click on the little down arrow and the menu will appear.

Brian Ellis
18-May-2006, 22:57
Thanks Ralph. I still get this silly "vBulletin" page and "no match" page when I click on the link Tom gave and then after I click on Unified View from that page the change under Quick Link to posting in order by thread start date apparently has to be made every time the page opens. So now I have five steps to go through to get where I want to be. If that's how it is that's how it is but it seems like it should be possible to open Unified View directly and have things automatically be in order by thread start date instead of having to first get this vBulletin page, then get out of it by clicking on Unified View, then clicking on Quick Link, then scrolling down and clicking again, all just to get things in order by thread start date every time I visit here.

Tom Westbrook
19-May-2006, 04:00
I suspect the reason the URL doesn't work for you is that you have a typo or a stray space somewhere. Bookmark it via copy/paste or other browser features so no typing is required.

For example, in IE6 you can right-click any link and there is a menu option to bookmark the link called "Add to Favorites...". Select that option. Replace the name of the link in the "Name" slot, e.g. "LF Forum" or whatever you want. If you then click the "Create in..." button and select the "Links" folder, the bookmark will appear in your browser "Links" toolbar with the name you gave it, so it's readily available for your use--it stays there forever until you manually delete it, so this is a one-time activity.

Other fairly recent browsers have similar features. I just went through theses steps in IE6 and the link works fine, and now all I have to do is click on the toolbar button to get the view I want.

Brian Ellis
19-May-2006, 08:34
Thanks Tom. I realize that some of my questions might have led you to believe this is my first day using a computer but actually even I know how to cut and paste and add to favorites. :-) I did it slightly different from the way you describe - I copied the URL from your link, pasted it in IE, then opened the page and added it to favorites from there (with a name change and a "Create In" to a sub-group I created quite a while ago) - but no typing. However, I did it again just now to be sure and for some reason it now works fine. Maybe I got an extra carat or other symbol in there the first time, I don't know, when I have time I'll compare the two URLs and see what the difference is but whatever, it does work fine for now at least. Thanks.

robc
19-May-2006, 12:02
I suspect your problem is this:

if I click on unified view I get the view and the following is in IE address bar:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?searchid=98788

if you bookmark that it won't be gauranteed to work next time becuase the searchid will no longer exist in the database.

So what you need to do is to book mark it and then edit the bookmark to put in the actual search phrase e.g.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&days=30

or what ever your search criteria are. To do that go to bookmarks and right click on the bookmark and select properties and change the link to the correct values.

in a nutshell bookmarking the result is not what you want. You want to bookmark the question (which never appears in the url field).

Tom Westbrook
19-May-2006, 14:33
Thanks for that, robc--well said. I keep forgetting about that "feature". You do have to copy the link right off the page where it is cited (the right-click method is good).

Sadly, that behavior can't be disabled. It does that so you can save complex searches in the board's database (Advanced Search has a 'Save' button for that).

Brian Ellis
19-May-2006, 16:26
Thanks robc, I've done it as you and Tom suggest and now it looks like Unified View is staying in order by thread date. Better yet, "v Bulletin" hasn't made a showing for a while now.