PDA

View Full Version : why does this happen on some posts?

Paul Ron
12-Nov-2023, 06:28

i cant read the posts unless i make a choice as you can see at the bottom of my screenshot.

i just skip those posts now.

PatrickMarq
12-Nov-2023, 15:34
I have seen this also, but only on my smart phone.
Probably an option for using an app, for beter viewing

r_a_feldman
12-Nov-2023, 19:35
Ignore the app and just use the browser option. LFP does not use complex web effects, so the browser view is fine.

jnantz
13-Nov-2023, 06:57
Hi Paul
I get the same thing from time to time, I think for whatever reason the site's software forgets whether or not you are on a mobile device and whether or not you have a browser preference and it is asking if you'd like to use "tap talk" or similar/other mobile applications to make the your large format doom scrolling :) that much more pleasurable. I've never used the 3rd party/mobile browsers so I don't know if I am missing anything, like animated Memojis, Emojis and 3D images, TBH, if they had "telnet" as a 3rd party option, I'd probably use that, much easier to doom scroll without distracting images.

John

Paul Ron
13-Nov-2023, 06:58
but why so many posts showing this option? is it an android thing? do my posts show this? thought we are getting smarter but it seems improvements are a step backward lately.

BrianShaw
13-Nov-2023, 07:22
It happens on iPhone also.

nitroplait
13-Nov-2023, 07:50
It is just a plug (ad) for you to download the Tapatalk app on the device you are using.
It happens occasionally on all vBulletin forums I visit.

I have never bothered to use Tapatalk (which supposedly should give you a better user experience of the forum on mobile devices) so I don't know if it is worth pursuing.

If you select the option of "Continue" with your own browser - in this case Chrome - then it will be a while before you are asked again.
Just an irregular nuisance - that is all.

rdenney
13-Nov-2023, 10:31
Because LFPF supports Tapatalk, one of the standard aspects of that support is the nag when you view the forum using a browser on a devise that Tapatalk supports. I use Tapatalk a lot and I get the nag all the time. If you don't want to use Tapatalk, just continue past it.

Yes, it's a nuisance, but many of us prefer Tapatalk for accessing the forum online. I preserve the browser view for certain moderator actions, like killing spam, but it involves a lot of zooming in an out to do anything. But that's just me, and others may prefer the browser skin on their smartphones.

Rick "sorry for the nuisance" Denney

Paul Ron
14-Nov-2023, 05:22
im seening this more lately. it is very annoying to get that reminder for every post. ill just pass on the posts that show this remnder... partisipation will surely fall off.

Tin Can
14-Nov-2023, 05:45
NOW

I know

rdenney
14-Nov-2023, 06:21
im seening this more lately. it is very annoying to get that reminder for every post. ill just pass on the posts that show this remnder... partisipation will surely fall off.

You shouldn’t get it on every post. Are you logged in with the “keep me logged in” box checked? I’m able to use the browser skin for quite some time between nags. But if you click links from notification emails, you’ll see it every time.

It’s been this way as far as I know for many years.

Rick “have dropped out of forums that don’t support Tapatalk or have an effective smart phone skin” Denney

rdenney
14-Nov-2023, 06:58
To check myself, I just spent the last half hour looking through the forum using Safari on my iPhone. I saw the Tapatalk nag precisely once.

But I also got a headache reading that tiny text, or trying to scroll image windows that don’t scroll. And trying to sharpen my thumb in a pencil sharpener hurt.

Of course, there is forum software with better mobile skins, but none of them really work well on a smartphone.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231114/6919021e802a137e87f4be3972c226f2.jpg

Rick “though Tapatalk has changed recently and not for the better” Denney

Tin Can
14-Nov-2023, 13:52
I have no problem reading this forum

on tiny SE

r_a_feldman
14-Nov-2023, 19:10

Don’t skip posts that show the option — it is not the fault of the poster, rather it is the software, so you would be ignoring valid posts. I don’t want to install Tapatalk, so I just select the browser option.

j.e.simmons
15-Nov-2023, 05:00
I don't have any of those apps but still get the nag occasionally on various forums. It happens on both my kindle fire and my iPad.

rdenney
15-Nov-2023, 05:35
One thing just came to kind…

If I leave the forum as an open tab in Safari (or whatever browser), I get the nag less often. I do a couple of forums that use Xenforo, which I don’t really like but which at least has a usable mobile skin. One of them has implemented a Tapatalk interface which I don’t use. I get the nag on that forum maybe as often as once a week/month, but I never close that tab. That may not actually be cause and effect but I’ll pass it along.

Rick “sees the nag every time when opening a forum web page the first time” Denney

Paul Ron
5-Dec-2023, 07:15
still getting the nag on every post i try reading. this is the only site this happens.

ic-racer
6-Dec-2023, 04:27
The taptalk virus should be removed from the host server.
It makes this site a real shit forum.

Tin Can
6-Dec-2023, 05:54
Pita

Paul Ron
14-Dec-2023, 13:23
the nag went away the last time i mentioned it , but its back since yesterday.. what changed?.

when it went away, i tried signing out and logged back in to see if it was cured... and no nag! mysteriously it returned yeaterday and i didnt log out between then and now.

i wonder if it has something to do with my android tablet os?

rdenney
18-Dec-2023, 05:56
I has to do with your browser, I’m sure. On Safari (iPhone) I see it no more often than every few days. Make sure the “keep me logged in” button is checked and that you are allowing cookies from this site.

Rick “asking Tom for advice also” Denney

Paul Ron
18-Dec-2023, 07:17
i stay logged in. im using chrome and cookies are on.
this tablet is a month old so as far as the os, its a recent version.
this is the only site this happens.

Tom Westbrook
27-Dec-2023, 09:11
Presumably this is on a mobile device. Not sure with Android (don't have one) but on Safari (possibly similar with other browsers if it also happens there) go to the Settings app -> Safari then toggle off the 'Safari Suggestions setting. That's global, though, and will turn off all app suggestions. Alternatively uninstall the Tapatalk app if you're not using it.

Alan Klein
27-Dec-2023, 17:37
Because LFPF supports Tapatalk, one of the standard aspects of that support is the nag when you view the forum using a browser on a devise that Tapatalk supports. I use Tapatalk a lot and I get the nag all the time. If you don't want to use Tapatalk, just continue past it.

Yes, it's a nuisance, but many of us prefer Tapatalk for accessing the forum online. I preserve the browser view for certain moderator actions, like killing spam, but it involves a lot of zooming in an out to do anything. But that's just me, and others may prefer the browser skin on their smartphones.

Rick "sorry for the nuisance" Denney

Why is Tapatalk an advantage to you and why might I use it instead of Android?

Paul Ron
31-Dec-2023, 07:32
seems it goes away for a few days after posting here then its back.

i use chrome on an android tablet. i have cookies on plus i dont sign out using the remember me sign in.

im logged in to several sites and not a single one does this nag thing. in fact not a single site i visit on the internet does this. its definately this site's software bug.

when the nag shows, if i click on continue with chrome, it goes away for the session. when i come back the next day still logged in, the nag is back. what is odd, because i have cookies on, it shouldnt appear anymore till i sign out then log in again. not so here.

well, its back.

Oren Grad
31-Dec-2023, 11:30
Why is Tapatalk an advantage to you and why might I use it instead of Android?

Tapatalk Mobile App isn't a replacement for Android, it's an app that runs on Android. The standard forum screen, viewed through a generic web browser, isn't well suited to access via mobile devices with small screens. Tapatalk adds a layer on top of the forum software that makes it much easier to both read and respond to posts for those who are visiting from mobile devices.

Tin Can
31-Dec-2023, 11:47
OK now we know

I hate it

Alan Klein
31-Dec-2023, 18:22
Tapatalk Mobile App isn't a replacement for Android, it's an app that runs on Android. The standard forum screen, viewed through a generic web browser, isn't well suited to access via mobile devices with small screens. Tapatalk adds a layer on top of the forum software that makes it much easier to both read and respond to posts for those who are visiting from mobile devices.

Does Tapatalk have nag screens or other annoyances or performance issues?

Oren Grad
31-Dec-2023, 22:29
Does Tapatalk have nag screens or other annoyances or performance issues?

I don't use it, so I can't tell you from my own experience. But obviously this thread exists because Paul has been having some trouble with it.

Memento Mori
1-Jan-2024, 09:25
I don't use it, so I can't tell you from my own experience. But obviously this thread exists because Paul has been having some trouble with it.
I can’t even use tapatalk on my android. It keeps telling me I have the user/pass wrong. I’m signed in on my iPad so…not true. SMH

Tin Can
1-Jan-2024, 13:23

Me Too

It is Spam

Paul Ron
15-Jan-2024, 15:28
well its back again. doesnt matter if im logged in or not.

rdenney
17-Jan-2024, 05:55
I do not believe it is “this site’s software bug.” I get the nag from time to time in all the forums in which I participate that have a Tapatalk interface. But I have never gotten it every time. I see the nag sporadically at most on my iPhone.

Do you leave the forum open on a tab in your browser? I do, but I still see the nag once in a while, but no more often than that. I’ve been leaving it open routinely just to monitor because of this complaint.

I will look into it more.

BrianShaw
18-Jan-2024, 07:55
For me it’s happening a lot. 100% of the time after getting automatically logged out and looking at a thread in the logged out mode. Then the same after logging back in and looking at a thread. Just once in each mode it seems but I’ve not really done a detailed study to verify that it’s just once. Inconvenient but not a major problem.

iPhone X and Safari.

jnantz
19-Jan-2024, 06:40
I dont' stay logged in, I barely ever get the tap talk message on my phone ( 2x since October ). when I do it's no big deal I just tap on the safari button. and maybe 3 weeks later I do it again ..
my software is up to date on my iPhone 3 with a 3rd party TRS80 skin.

Tin Can
19-Jan-2024, 06:49
Ai is finding our ways on this forum

It has become better recently

as it learns this forum

BUT OUR Internet has become a wasteland with everybody SELLING

something

Paul Ron
19-Jan-2024, 07:44
I do not believe it is “this site’s software bug.” I get the nag from time to time in all the forums in which I participate that have a Tapatalk interface. But I have never gotten it every time. I see the nag sporadically at most on my iPhone.

Do you leave the forum open on a tab in your browser? I do, but I still see the nag once in a while, but no more often than that. I’ve been leaving it open routinely just to monitor because of this complaint.

I will look into it more.

im not on a smart phone. this is an android tablet recently replacing an older tablet. the nag was on the old tablet as well.

using my windows xp machine just has a security certificate issue with this site but it allows me to add certificate when i go advanced on the notice to download a certificate. i dotn use my compter much on the internet, its too outdated... but no nag.

if not logged in... i still get the nag on the first message i open. the nag gives me a choice to use chrome or tap talk... i click on continue and i dont see the nag the rest of that session.same happens if im logged in. i generally stay logged in using the remember me feature.

staying logged in still doesnt keep the nag away from day to day although i am logged in. the first post i open has the nag then its goid for that session. if i leave to another site andvreturn, the nag is back on the first post as if im starting a new session.

i only see the nag on this site and no place else. im on several sites where i am using the remember me feature to stay logged in. other sites i visit randomly also never shows the nag.

its not a problem or deal breaker... its a heads up to this site as a software glitch you should be aware of. when i said its back, the next day or per session, the nag doest appear for several days but returns. i then posted its back and again it goes away. soooo that says whatever you did on your side of the screen fixed the problem... at least temporarily for a few days.

as far as my software?... logically, i doubt it. must be a hole in your system.

rdenney
21-Jan-2024, 19:55
Well, we didn’t do anything on our side of the screen because we can’t think of anything to do. There is no setting to bypass the nag from our side, and that is confirmed with recent posts I could find on developer forums. And Tom couldn’t think of anything, either.

I studied all the Tapatalk settings in the admin control panel but me making any unsupervised change there would be very dangerous, to say the least. But we did also discuss it on the moderator back-channel.

You wouldn’t see the nag on your computer because Tapatalk is a smart-phone app only.

I hope it remains at least tolerable.

Rick “cannot use his work computer for forums and therefore is stuck with the phone” Denney

Paul Ron
23-Jan-2024, 05:40
hahahaha, i can imagin the spaghetti of settings you have to look through. but its back again. seems whatever you guys did or didnt do, it goes away for a few days but returns.

smart phone? doesnt seem very smart for more than a few days at a time. btw this isnt a phone, its an android tablet.

jnantz
23-Jan-2024, 06:11
Paul,
maybe it's something to do with your router or ISP. Sounds like a PITA to have to deal with such nonsense. I was told by a friend that his anti advertisement system is so good that he got a note from the yooo-toooob to let in their ads or not use their service. LOL, needlesstosay he didn't. maybe there's a similar choke you can ask your ISP for or an adware/spyware add on through the android App Store that might alleviate your tap talk issues .. I know for a wile there my spam cop thought he was "cannon" but after too many sinkers we had to retire him .. unlike cannon he wasn't unto the task of running and doing the seal-glide across the deck of a boat or slippery floor to nab the bad guys. im using spam assassin now and he seems to be on the job.

Paul Ron
23-Jan-2024, 11:48
Paul,
maybe it's something to do with your router or ISP. Sounds like a PITA to have to deal with such nonsense. I was told by a friend that his anti advertisement system is so good that he got a note from the yooo-toooob to let in their ads or not use their service. LOL, needlesstosay he didn't. maybe there's a similar choke you can ask your ISP for or an adware/spyware add on through the android App Store that might alleviate your tap talk issues .. I know for a wile there my spam cop thought he was "cannon" but after too many sinkers we had to retire him .. unlike cannon he wasn't unto the task of running and doing the seal-glide across the deck of a boat or slippery floor to nab the bad guys. im using spam assassin now and he seems to be on the job.

if it were my router or isp... then why is this the only site that does this? i vist dozens of forum sites of all types.

ill check the other sites i visit to see if they are using vbulletin.

Paul Ron
31-Jan-2024, 06:12
well its back... but... i noticed this happened on another forum. its a vBulletin problem. i mentioned it to the webmaster there and he told me pretty much the same you did.

ps... alot of forums are now using xen foro.

thanks for taking the time,
paul

rdenney
4-Feb-2024, 07:14
I dunno if it’s just vBulletin—I also get it on a couple of xenForo forums I read from time to time.

Rick “just clicks continue” Denney