PDA

View Full Version : Wet Plate Collodion question

Pete Caluori
16-May-2006, 18:29
Greetings,

I know there is a forum dealing specifically with wet plate, but given the last thread on glass plates I figured I'd ask here first.

Is is possible to coat a glass plate with collodion and store it for days/weeks/months, before sensitizing it with silver compounds? I know the exposure and subsequent process must be done before the plate dries, but can the collodion dry before use?

Regards, Pete

Wayne
16-May-2006, 18:38
Greetings,

I know there is a forum dealing specifically with wet plate, but given the last thread on glass plates I figured I'd ask here first.

Is is possible to coat a glass plate with collodion and store it for days/weeks/months, before sensitizing it with silver compounds? I know the exposure and subsequent process must be done before the plate dries, but can the collodion dry before use?

Regards, Pete

You might be interested in this

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27769

Wayne

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
16-May-2006, 19:55
... Is is possible to coat a glass plate with collodion and store it for days/weeks/months, before sensitizing it with silver compounds?...

No, at least not with processes I know. The "film", whether gelatin or collodion, has to be wet before and during sensitization.

steve simmons
16-May-2006, 20:16
View Camera has done articles on this process in the March/April and May/June 06 issues.

steve simmons