PDA

View Full Version : Broken 4x5 protective cover glass

younghoon Kil
20-Oct-2023, 17:31

Hi,
Recently, the protective cover glass of the Maxwell HI-LUX focus screen broke while shipping the Chamonix camera to China.
I sent an email to Mr. Bill Maxwell, but did not receive a reply.

First, I bought protective clear sheet from Chamonix and installed it instead.
But this is plastic, not glass.
Mr Hugo said Chamonix now uses plastic clear sheet instead of glass sheet to cover the Fresnel lens.

Anyway, I want to get a clear sheet made of glass.
If there is a seller, please let me know.
Thanks.

rfesk
20-Oct-2023, 18:15
I suggest that you call Bill Maxwell if at all possible.

phdgent
20-Oct-2023, 22:52
On the picture you posted, I can see it is only a corner that broke off.

There is a special glue for restoring glass, which is even used in archaeological musea for restorations, that is extremely fine and when dry is hardly visible, years ago I used that, I think it came from AkzoNobel, for repairing the ground glass of my 13x18cm Sinar Norma, which worked perfectly...

diversey
21-Oct-2023, 03:13
This protective glass is not a special glass, just a piece of glass to protect the fresnel glass. You can go to any window glass stores near you and they will find a piece of matched glass for you, cut the size you want. I have done that before when a seller did not ship the protective glass with the camera to me. It only costs about $6.

Alan Klein
21-Oct-2023, 08:36

Hi,
Recently, the protective cover glass of the Maxwell HI-LUX focus screen broke while shipping the Chamonix camera to China.
I sent an email to Mr. Bill Maxwell, but did not receive a reply.

First, I bought protective clear sheet from Chamonix and installed it instead.
But this is plastic, not glass.
Mr Hugo said Chamonix now uses plastic clear sheet instead of glass sheet to cover the Fresnel lens.

Anyway, I want to get a clear sheet made of glass.
If there is a seller, please let me know.
Thanks.

Why do you object to plastic? Glass could only break again.

Alan Klein
21-Oct-2023, 08:38
I'm just looking at your photo again. Is that the protective cover that broke or the ground glass?

younghoon Kil
21-Oct-2023, 19:17
Thanks for all the replies.

1. I emailed Bill Maxwell again. my English speaking is very bad.
2. The broken protective clear sheet was discarded in China.
3. Following your advice, I am looking for 1~1.5mm thick clear glass here in South Korea.
4. For some reasons I need glass instead of plastic.
5. "Ground glass + fresnel lens" is not broken, protective cover is broken.

jose angel
23-Oct-2023, 05:52
If it's just a piece of glass, buy a cheap clip photo frame to have the material and cut it to size.
A common size is 6x4" but if the cut is tight go for a larger one (10x8"). This glass is thin and very easy to cut; or just give it to a glass store and ask for a cut.
Smooth the edges with sandpaper if needed.

domaz
23-Oct-2023, 09:13
Why do you object to plastic? Glass could only break again.

I bought an 8x10 camera that had plastic over the ground glass to protect it. I started having a had time focusing with the camera, so I resolved to clean the ground glass and noticed the plastic had developed some sort of fade/fogging that was uncleanable. I threw away the plastic and resolved to just be careful with the ground glass. (Adding another piece of glass is fine, but in an 8x10 that's much more extra weight)

younghoon Kil
23-Oct-2023, 19:15
If it's just a piece of glass, buy a cheap clip photo frame to have the material and cut it to size.
A common size is 6x4" but if the cut is tight go for a larger one (10x8"). This glass is thin and very easy to cut; or just give it to a glass store and ask for a cut.
Smooth the edges with sandpaper if needed.

Thanks for your advice!

phdgent
24-Oct-2023, 21:54
Thanks for your advice!

There is frame glass that is non reflective coated...

younghoon Kil
25-Oct-2023, 22:00
There is frame glass that is non reflective coated...

If you know of an eBay or Amazon link, please let me know. Thanks.

younghoon Kil
25-Oct-2023, 22:03

Anyway, I replaced it with a new glass! :)

tom43
2-Nov-2023, 15:51
May I ask you, how the Maxwell screen compares against the original one? Was it a clear improvement in darker situations? Many thanks.

phdgent
2-Nov-2023, 23:00
If you know of an eBay or Amazon link, please let me know. Thanks.

It is the kind of glass as used for museum framing, there are many brands, I don't know what is available in your part of the world.
The frame brand I know of which is using that king of glass is the German Nielsen, but I think they don't produce glass...

Tin Can
3-Nov-2023, 05:24
https://www.howardglass.com/

Makes almost any glass

I bought 200 pieces once

younghoon Kil
3-Nov-2023, 07:10
May I ask you, how the Maxwell screen compares against the original one? Was it a clear improvement in darker situations? Many thanks.

- https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?156836-4x5-Screen-comparison-(Intrepid-Chamonix-Maxwell)

Tin Can
3-Nov-2023, 07:10
#2 ?

younghoon Kil
3-Nov-2023, 07:12

Rodenstock Sinar Sinaron-W(Grandagon-N) 6.8/90mm MC Lens.

- Intrepid 4x5 MK4 View Camera & basic focus screen(ground glass).
- Chamonix 45H-1 View Camera & basic focus screen(ground glass, fresnel lens, clear cover screen).
- Chamonix 45N-2 View Camera & Maxwell Precision Optics HI-LUX Extra Brilliant Matte 4.7 focus screen(ground glass + fresnel lens, clear cover screen).

younghoon Kil
3-Nov-2023, 07:17
It is the kind of glass as used for museum framing, there are many brands, I don't know what is available in your part of the world.
The frame brand I know of which is using that king of glass is the German Nielsen, but I think they don't produce glass...

Makes almost any glass

I bought 200 pieces once

Thanks for all the replies. :)

younghoon Kil
3-Nov-2023, 23:56

Makes almost any glass

I bought 200 pieces once

I looked into this site.
However, I don't know which glass is suitable for the cover glass.
And I only need a few sheets of 12.8 x 10.2 cm glass, but I don't think they sell 2 or 3.
Anyway, thanks for your information. :)

Alan Klein
4-Nov-2023, 06:14

Rodenstock Sinar Sinaron-W(Grandagon-N) 6.8/90mm MC Lens.

- Intrepid 4x5 MK4 View Camera & basic focus screen(ground glass).
- Chamonix 45H-1 View Camera & basic focus screen(ground glass, fresnel lens, clear cover screen).
- Chamonix 45N-2 View Camera & Maxwell Precision Optics HI-LUX Extra Brilliant Matte 4.7 focus screen(ground glass + fresnel lens, clear cover screen).

Thanks for the pictures. I'm wondering. Your photo of each sample is just from the center of the ground glass. So the image falls off at the sides and corners because of the Fresnel distortions. Ordinarily, a photographer would move his head to see the sides and corners. Wouldn't additional photos taken from those areas give a better view and comparison?

younghoon Kil
4-Nov-2023, 06:42
You're right. I'll take pictures again. :rolleyes:

Rod Klukas
13-Nov-2023, 10:10
Wista makes and uses a thin protective glass on their cameras. Which may work for you as well.

younghoon Kil
14-Nov-2023, 07:08
Wista makes and uses a thin protective glass on their cameras. Which may work for you as well.

Thanks. :)