PDA

View Full Version : Dry spots on Fiber Based Print

Csholl
15-Oct-2023, 15:46
Hi,

So I tried sepia toning a print on Fiber-Based Paper. I noticed after drying there appear to be "dry spots" on the outer perimeter, not noticeable in the image itself. I burned in around the portrait or head with a portrait utensil and then sepia-toned it to a dark brown. The brown tone is uneven. I dried them after taking a light squeegee to them and putting them for a minute or two on a print dryer. Then laid them face down on a print screen (might be the problem?) I tried rewetting them and they still appear. Are there any remedies? It does not really appear on my other prints where the black is left black, not toned, although there are some residual spots noticeable (Faint).243135243136

Drew Wiley
15-Oct-2023, 16:12
First of all, you need to be more specific about the paper itself - which exact brand and product? Likewise, with the specific toner protocol and product involved. Then you should try air-drying the print overnight before coming to a conclusion.

Csholl
15-Oct-2023, 16:21
First of all, you need to be more specific about the paper itself - which exact brand and product? Likewise, with the specific toner protocol and product involved. Then you should try air-drying the print overnight before coming to a conclusion.

I am using multigrade FB Ilford warm-tone paper semi-matte. I am using Photographers Formulary Sepia toner. Prints are being laid face down on a fine mesch print screen, there are not much sticking but slightly. So far the spots are staying.

LabRat
15-Oct-2023, 17:35
Bleach/Redevelop toning tends to soften emulsion a lot, so handling/drying takes special care... Make sure all water is off surface of print, well washed, and helpful to soak fully washed print in distilled water for 5-10 minutes before careful squeezing with a damp, fresh photo sponge...Dry them face up, but expect a spot might come up anyway after your efforts...

I did extensive split toning years ago, but abandoned it as it could be a persistent heartbreak for a # of reasons, but beautiful when the planets lined up properly... ;)

Steve K

Csholl
16-Oct-2023, 04:39
Bleach/Redevelop toning tends to soften emulsion a lot, so handling/drying takes special care... Make sure all water is off surface of print, well washed, and helpful to soak fully washed print in distilled water for 5-10 minutes before careful squeezing with a damp, fresh photo sponge...Dry them face up, but expect a spot might come up anyway after your efforts...

I did extensive split toning years ago, but abandoned it as it could be a persistent heartbreak for a # of reasons, but beautiful when the planets lined up properly... ;)

Steve K

Hi,

thx for your reply, I'll take not. I'm glad to say that I let the prints dry overnight and the dry spots have come out, it is now one even tone, maybe one spot slightly uneven. but the prints I showed are good. I'll make sure to dry them face up, I think that was it, and blot them with a cloth, as well as squeegee. I know I can always retone them, although I'm not sure with the sepia, but I'm sure its ok. thx