PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop/ ImageReady

Colin Graham
16-May-2006, 11:10
So I've had PS 6 for years and am finally strapping myself to the chair to learn how to use it. Mainly for image scanning to get some sort of a website up. So far it's actually somewhat intuitive but that doesnt mean I have no stupid questions, so: Is this still an effective platform or should I get a CS2 upgrade (are the script generators and html codes and jpeg optimizers and so forth in 6.0 and its bundled ImageReady somehow obsolete? or at least tired?) And is ImageReady a good platform for web design in the first place? (I rather like it so far but dont want to waste a bunch of time learning it if it's a dinosaur) Is there a comparable program bundled with CS2? Also, so far I've been scanning in traditional prints on an epson 3200 but would working directly with negatives (4x5 B&W) be better for any reason? Sorry if this subject is a tired one but could find no direct references though searching. Thanks very much.

Frank Petronio
16-May-2006, 14:20
Use ImageReady for making optimized (smaller) jpgs and gifs. Don't use ImageReady to write code because it is bulky and poorly written code. A jpg written with PS6 is just as small and good as one made with CS2. But you do want to use ImageReady or "Save for Web" functions as they will strip header and profile info out of the file, which is desirable for internet use.

Scanning prints is fine as they are well suited to the range of the scanner. However for going larger, film is probably better. But only by testing your system and output will you ever know for sure.

Look for Marko's and my post re: web design as everything we've said before applies here too. Best, FP

Colin Graham
16-May-2006, 14:41
Great! Thanks for the help, Frank, really appreciate it. I was in fact just reading the web hosting thread and probably will hire out eventually, but wanted to see how much of a hairball I can make first.

Brian Ellis
16-May-2006, 18:05
"Also, so far I've been scanning in traditional prints on an epson 3200 but would working directly with negatives (4x5 B&W) be better for any reason? "

If your only purpose in scanning is to put the pictures on a web site then I think scanning the prints is the way to go. The improvement in image quality that usually comes from scanning a negative isn't going to show up on the web anyhow and by scanning the print you save yourself the editing time that would be involved in getting a negative scan to look like the print.