PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon 105 f/8 rear barrel diameters

Mark J
13-Oct-2023, 16:54
I was just looking for info on the subject of rear barrel diameter on these wide angles but drew a blank.
I think I could have found this on the 'Cameraeccentric' website database, but it seems to be down - hopefully not permanently.
I think I have hard-copy at work.... but anyway.

The older Fuji 105mm f/8 SW in Seiko has 70mm OD which is good re. my ( modified ) Gandolfi which is machined to accept 70.

Did the later 'N' lenses with Copal with the 6/6 element/group construction have a larger rear barrel, or the same ?

The otherwise excellent xkaes Fuji database doesn't have a column for this parameter, unfortunately.

Dan Fromm
13-Oct-2023, 17:02
Whenever a site is unavailable, look on archive.org

http://web.archive.org/web/20170123102058/http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/fujinon_1.html

xkaes
13-Oct-2023, 18:57
The rear outer diameter for the NSW 105mm f8 is 75mm. You should be able to attach the rear element through the rear standard without too much trouble.

Mark J
14-Oct-2023, 04:45
Thanks both. I had a look at this a few weeks ago, I think, I couldn't remember the difference.

Mark J
14-Oct-2023, 05:25
Actually the later catalogues were not on Camera Eccentric, in the end.
However there's one on Kerry Thalmann's pages -
http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/mar-1997.htm

rfesk
14-Oct-2023, 05:36
Therefore, to be clear, the NSW 106mm f8 lens with the 75mm outer diameter will require the rear lens element group to be unscrewed from the shutter and reattached through the back of the camera after the front group/lensboard has been mounted on the camera.

Some people do that - I personally would select another lens to use.

xkaes
14-Oct-2023, 06:04
Therefore, to be clear, the NSW 106mm f8 lens with the 75mm outer diameter will require the rear lens element group to be unscrewed from the shutter and reattached through the back of the camera after the front group/lensboard has been mounted on the camera.

Some people do that - I personally would select another lens to use.

The earlier SW 105mm solves that rear element "problem", but whether it's the SW 105mm or the NSW 105mm it's a big, heavy sucker. That's why I use the CM-W 105mm f5.6. It's light & tiny in comparison, and is a full f-stop faster & brighter. But if you need a lot of movement, or are using a format larger than 4x5", the CM-W 105mm is NOT an option.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm

Mark J
14-Oct-2023, 06:40
Yes, this is for me a super-wide for 5 x 7". I think I'm inclining towards trying a good example of the earlier lens first. I had thought about the rear-barrel removal/refit before, it's do-able, but adds to the set-up time, which is not negligible for the camera overall. The weather is so fickle in the UK that an extra 30sec can mean a lost image.
The later one has better coatings, but it also has 4 more air-glass surfaces. Flare, shooting into the light is something i want to minimise, but i don't think these constructions are much flare-prone ..... Unless anyone has hands-on experience with the earlier lens ? Are the 1970's Seiko shutters pretty reliable ?

xkaes
14-Oct-2023, 13:15
Are the 1970's Seiko shutters pretty reliable ?

That sounds like a good topic all its own -- and probably has been discussed many times. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I only have one -- not exactly an ample sample size.

Mark J
14-Oct-2023, 13:35
Ok, thanks, I'll have a quick search.
It's slightly too late to go back on that, since I just bought a near-Mint example of the 'SW' on EBay !
I think I can test the shutter speeds at work.
The final part that swung me was that the earlier lens weight 405g, the newer 'N' lens if 570g.

Mark J
19-Oct-2023, 12:19
Just got the 105/8 from Japan. Lens looks immaculate, looks like it's been stored somewhere clean and dry for 45 years. Glad to see that the Seiko '0' is the same bore size as a Copal '0' , so I have fitted it to the spare Gandolfi '0' board I have.
It took me a couple of minutes to work out that the Seiko 'preview' lever doesn't work until the shutter is cocked, I presume Seiko users can confirm this ?
Shutter looks and sounds fine, but will check some speeds if I can.

Vaughan
19-Oct-2023, 15:33
Just got the 105/8 from Japan. Lens looks immaculate, looks like it's been stored somewhere clean and dry for 45 years. Glad to see that the Seiko '0' is the same bore size as a Copal '0' , so I have fitted it to the spare Gandolfi '0' board I have.
It took me a couple of minutes to work out that the Seiko 'preview' lever doesn't work until the shutter is cocked, I presume Seiko users can confirm this ?
Shutter looks and sounds fine, but will check some speeds if I can.

A weak point of the Seiko shutter is the preview lever. Internally it’s a pin riveted to a thin metal lever. The rivet weakens and the pin becomes loose when the preview lever is activated before cocking the shutter. Be gentle with it.

Mark J
19-Oct-2023, 16:11
Thanks - advice noted. i think this lens will see limited use given how wide it is, so should be OK. To be honest i don't even know if this lens was ever used !