PDA

View Full Version : # returns in search results

Wayne
15-May-2006, 13:34
I imagine this been covered somewhere, but I cant keep up so I'm sorry. When I perform my personalized, bookmarked search it frequently comes up with more than 25 new posts, hence more than one page of search results. Can we personalize/increase the number of results per page to something like 100 so I dont have to go through several pages of topics just to see theres nothing I want to read anyway? We can personalize the number of posts per page when viewing a thread (up to 40 anyway), but I cant find a way to do it search results.

Wayne

Tom Westbrook
15-May-2006, 15:55
Check in your User CP settings for that. It's under "Edit Options" and then find the "Thread Display Options" section.

Ralph Barker
15-May-2006, 16:01
Tom - I think he means can the search string do the same thing.

Tom Westbrook
15-May-2006, 16:18
Oh. Sorry, I guess that's for lists of posts, not threads. I'll dig around some more.

Tom Westbrook
20-May-2006, 05:03
I found the setting to limit the number of search results. It's a global setting, though, so in deference to people using slower connections, I'll leave it where it is for now. We can revisit it again if people feel it needs changing.

Wayne
20-May-2006, 06:23
I am on a dialup and I have a lousy, erratic and slow connection most of the time (I'm connected at 33.2 right now). I think its worse/slower when I have to open 2 pages just to view the search results. Theres my vote!

Wayne

Sal Santamaura
20-May-2006, 06:41
I am on a dialup and I have a lousy, erratic and slow connection most of the time (I'm connected at 33.2 right now). I think its worse/slower when I have to open 2 pages just to view the search results. Theres my vote!There's much greater consistency with my dail-up at home: count on 24k, roughly one third of the time 26.4k. I agree; better to put it all on one page than need to load two. I've set my Posts Per Page to 40 and wouldn't mind the same number of threads per search result.

Tom Westbrook
20-May-2006, 08:35
So how many rows are we talking about? We have to be careful about increasing it very much to avoid stressing the system, since increasing the setting affects all search results pages and searching is the most popular thing to do next to opining :).

Sal Santamaura
20-May-2006, 08:41
So how many rows are we talking about?Forty feels about right. That would seem to cover the level of activity between my typically twice-daily visits.

Wayne
20-May-2006, 10:47
yeah, 40 would be certainly be better but fifty even more better. :) if I could personalize it myself I would go fo 100, but I dont want to make it more difficult for others.

Wayne