Tin Can
4-Sep-2023, 13:58
I see many more admitting

Rodinol is used

As you know

Me Too

Michael R
4-Sep-2023, 14:08
It’s not easy to get. B&H seems to have some stock but won’t ship it. I recently got a bottle from Argentix but it’s rare he has any in stock. Freestyle sometimes has it but ground shipping only.

SimonMaddock
4-Sep-2023, 15:49
Availability in Europe is good. I originally bought some as backup but ended up really liking the results with Delta 100 a lot so I kept using it. Handling and price is much better than Perceptol, which was my favourite with fp4.

paulbarden
4-Sep-2023, 16:00
Blue Moon Camera in PDX has the 500ml bottles of R09 (https://bluemooncamera.com/shop/product/4260163981141/r09-one-shot-film-developer--500ml) in stock (7 bottles)

Fred L
4-Sep-2023, 16:55
It’s not easy to get. B&H seems to have some stock but won’t ship it. I recently got a bottle from Argentix but it’s rare he has any in stock. Freestyle sometimes has it but ground shipping only.

Downtown Camera in Toronto usually stocks it. $21 Cdn

Mark Sampson
4-Sep-2023, 17:01
Agfa has been bankrupt since 2005, so the companies who now manufacture "Rodinal" use different trade names for the product.
I don't know who owns the "Rodinal" trademark, but I assume that they are not manufacturing film developer.
Yet it is indeed out there for sale... just a little detective work necessary.

Full disclosure: I have not used Rodinal since about 1980, through no fault of the developer.

Dugan
4-Sep-2023, 17:20
My default developer has been Rodinal since before Agfa's dissolution.
Adox has been producing Rodinal since, thankfully.
Recently, the European photo-chemical industry has been having difficulties...so we'll see how it all works out.

Michael R
4-Sep-2023, 19:05
Fotoimpex (under the Adox label) makes current Rodinal (or has it made) using the last formula Agfa was using before operations stopped in 2005. Adox/Fotoimpex owns the trademark.

Agfa has been bankrupt since 2005, so the companies who now manufacture "Rodinal" use different trade names for the product.
I don't know who owns the "Rodinal" trademark, but I assume that they are not manufacturing film developer.
Yet it is indeed out there for sale... just a little detective work necessary.

Full disclosure: I have not used Rodinal since about 1980, through no fault of the developer.

notorius
4-Sep-2023, 23:09
What is your experience with the shelf life of the post-AGFA Rodinal(or R09)? I used to soup nearly anything in Rodinal in the past, nowadays I switched to HC-110(the syruppy liquid). Just because there was not the same confidence as with the old one(red AGFA bottle). I tried various Rodinal/R09, all of them had significantly shorter life.Some crystals emerged after couple of months of using and sudden death...There was(maybe still is) very few real producers of the developer, lot of them are just rebadged products, just as with films. This leads to confusion. Last one I tried was Adox Adonal(and even Adox used to sell two different formulas at time!), and crystals in the bottle again. I remember the original Agfa did behave similar but the activity was the same until the last drop.

Tin Can
5-Sep-2023, 05:28
IF I get crystal

I just use the liquid as is

I have no problem with all 3 Rodinol I have now

Some are 20 years old at least

B&H has 3 flavors

I buy the cheapest by the case

Willie
5-Sep-2023, 05:49
Blue Moon Camera in PDX has the 500ml bottles of R09 (https://bluemooncamera.com/shop/product/4260163981141/r09-one-shot-film-developer--500ml) in stock (7 bottles)

How do I get to PDX? If I drive to Yellow Corners - which direction do I turn?

Michael R
5-Sep-2023, 06:52
Unlikely there is a definite answer. Even throughout the 100+ year run of Agfa Rodinal there were likely slightly different formulations. Post-Agfa "R09", APH09, Blazinal etc. may or may not be the same formulas. As far as I know the only "documented" versions from a recipe perspective are Adox's APH09 and Rodinal (Adonal). The rest of what's out there, who knows. On the other hand the working properties, with the possible exception of shelf life, are probably very, very similar if at all distinguishable.

All other things being equal, the shelf life would tend to vary depending on the amount of free hydroxide in the concentrate. But there could be other variables - even the container/bottle.

What is your experience with the shelf life of the post-AGFA Rodinal(or R09)? I used to soup nearly anything in Rodinal in the past, nowadays I switched to HC-110(the syruppy liquid). Just because there was not the same confidence as with the old one(red AGFA bottle). I tried various Rodinal/R09, all of them had significantly shorter life.Some crystals emerged after couple of months of using and sudden death...There was(maybe still is) very few real producers of the developer, lot of them are just rebadged products, just as with films. This leads to confusion. Last one I tried was Adox Adonal(and even Adox used to sell two different formulas at time!), and crystals in the bottle again. I remember the original Agfa did behave similar but the activity was the same until the last drop.

Kevin Crisp
5-Sep-2023, 07:12
How do I get to PDX? If I drive to Yellow Corners - which direction do I turn?

Head north a bit, then hang a left and drive to the coast.

Kind of reminds me of the Beatles' interview: "How did you find America?" "Turned left at Greenland."

paulbarden
5-Sep-2023, 07:13

I have only had reliable access to R09, and I can say with certainty that it has very poor shelf life once the bottle has been opened. I found that a half full bottle will last only a couple months at best, which is why I stopped buying it 2 years ago. I found it too tedious to decant the 500ml bottle into smaller ones, just to get it to last longer. I use PMK almost exclusively now, and that stuff lasts for at least two years regardless of how close to empty the bottle is.

I have about 1/4 of a bottle of original Agfa Rodinal from 1984 that was given to me 5 years ago, and it still works fine.

Dugan
5-Sep-2023, 07:26
I have been using the Adox-branded Rodinal the same way I used the Agfa version, and have not had a problem with longevity.
It usually takes me 6 months to a year to go through a bottle of concentrate, using only 12 or 24 ml per batch of film.

Tin Can
5-Sep-2023, 08:38
Many Love to Hate Rodinol

Maybe too easy for a Pro

I try to follow no one

Michael R
5-Sep-2023, 08:46

Maybe too easy for a Pro

I try to follow no one

Rodinal has always been good enough for Mark Citret. Can't make better prints that that in my opinion. Granted, that's LF. I think most who dislike Rodinal are referring to the graininess but you'd need to make pretty big enlargements from LF negatives for that to be a problem.

I never really used it other than trying it a few times early on (this would have been Agfa stuff at the time). But I recently bought a bottle for some print developer ideas. Actually at one time, very long ago admittedly, when papers were very different) Agfa recommended it as a print developer in addition to film/plates. Not sure what else there would be to hate about it.

paulbarden
5-Sep-2023, 08:59

Maybe too easy for a Pro

I try to follow no one

Randy, my point is that R09 isn't Rodinal, but a facsimile. Many expect it to be Rodinal, which it isn't. I don't "hate Rodinal" at all, but I find the facsimiles fall short of my expectations.

faberryman
5-Sep-2023, 09:51
Randy, my point is that R09 isn't Rodinal, but a facsimile. Many expect it to be Rodinal, which it isn't. I don't "hate Rodinal" at all, but I find the facsimiles fall short of my expectations.

The formula for Rodinal has changed over the decades. I am not sure which formula would be deemed the "real" Rodinal.

https://www.digitaltruth.com/articles/historic-rodinal.php

notorius
5-Sep-2023, 10:23
I have been using the Adox-branded Rodinal the same way I used the Agfa version, and have not had a problem with longevity.
It usually takes me 6 months to a year to go through a bottle of concentrate, using only 12 or 24 ml per batch of film.

Maybe I should give it a try. I had the same bad experience with R09(Foma, Calbe, etc.) as paulbarden.
I used to use 35mm, MF and 13x18, everything in Rodinal, various dilutions. Few weeks ago I discovered an old 30x40cm print in my darkroom, made from 35mm Agfapan APX100 negative souped in Rodinal(1+50 possibly) and the grain is very subtle yet very sharp. I would not believe if someone else told me this is Rodinal developed 35mm.

Dugan
5-Sep-2023, 11:53
I chose Rodinal as my default developer for a few reasons:
No mixing of powders
Long life of concentrate, even in opened bottles.
Economical due to high dilution.
Sharp grain...I dislike mushy grain.

PatrickMarq
5-Sep-2023, 12:41
Fotoimpex (under the Adox label) makes current Rodinal (or has it made) using the last formula Agfa was using before operations stopped in 2005. Adox/Fotoimpex owns the trademark.

They still sell them, I buy it under the names: Rodinal, Adonol … about 14€ for 500ml

PatrickMarq
5-Sep-2023, 12:46

I have use this for years now, and my shelf life is at least 6 months or more. At the end there are cristal on the bottom, but I shake before I use. And sometimes I pour the rest in a fresh bottle. Never problems.

Michael R
5-Sep-2023, 14:05
Yes but it’s often difficult to buy Adox Rodinal in North America due to shipping restrictions.

They still sell them, I buy it under the names: Rodinal, Adonol … about 14€ for 500ml

paulbarden
5-Sep-2023, 14:25
Yes but it’s often difficult to buy Adox Rodinal in North America due to shipping restrictions.

If I could get the Adox product shipped to me, I'd buy some.

Salmo22
5-Sep-2023, 14:44
Earlier this year, I bought Adox Rodinal from Freestyle and they shipped it to me via ground shipping. The fact that it did not fly on a plane wasn't noticeable to me. It arrived about as fast as I thought it would.

Michael R
5-Sep-2023, 14:51
Freestyle will ground ship it within the continental US so you should be able to get it (unless you have a PO Box or something). Unfortunately stock can be spotty - currently out of stock.

paulbarden
5-Sep-2023, 16:07
Freestyle will ground ship it within the continental US so you should be able to get it (unless you have a PO Box or something). Unfortunately stock can be spotty - currently out of stock.

Yeah, I've been watching for it, but I never find it in stock. End of October is what they forecast, but I'll have forgotten all about it by then!

Tin Can
6-Sep-2023, 07:40
Most everybody is out

B&H Out but sent me to Adorama

Bought 6 shipped in 2 days

on sale under $100 including tax and ground shipping

Adox Rodinal Acutance Enhancing 16 oz Film Developer

Yeah, I've been watching for it, but I never find it in stock. End of October is what they forecast, but I'll have forgotten all about it by then!

Salmo22
6-Sep-2023, 10:38
Rodinal has always been good enough for Mark Citret. Can't make better prints that that in my opinion.

I 100% concur with your comment Michael about Mark Citret's prints. Before COVID, I had the opportunity to speak with Mark about his use of Rodinal and, noting that the original Rodinal was no longer available, he said that the alternative Rodinal developers being offered by Freestyle "are the exact same developer". If it is good enough for Mark Citret, it is good enough for me.

domaz
6-Sep-2023, 16:12
I always heard Rodinal lasted forever but I had a batch that exhibited sudden developer failure at about 6 months, so I've sworn the stuff off. Maybe it had already been sitting in the shop many months before that.

paulbarden
6-Sep-2023, 16:50
I always heard Rodinal lasted forever but I had a batch that exhibited sudden developer failure at about 6 months, so I've sworn the stuff off. Maybe it had already been sitting in the shop many months before that.

Was it actual Rodinal, or one of the clones, like R09? The "almost original" clones do not last more than 6 months once the bottle has been opened, in my experience.

domaz
6-Sep-2023, 18:24
Was it actual Rodinal, or one of the clones, like R09? The "almost original" clones do not last more than 6 months once the bottle has been opened, in my experience.

It may well have been an "almost original" clone Paul. In fact I'm pretty certain it was, but I don't remember the details.

J-Dub
6-Sep-2023, 22:19

Paul, Glazer's in Seattle has the Adox version and ships - they have been my source.
https://www.glazerscamera.com/products/adox-anodol-developer-500ml

Tin Can
7-Sep-2023, 03:50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodinal#:~:text=1%20History-,History,and%20not%20as%20a%20powder.

drew.saunders
7-Sep-2023, 09:23

Adox/Fotoimpex states a 6 month shelf life after it's been opened: https://www.fotoimpex.com/shop/images/products/media/56415_4_PDF-Datenblatt.pdf

OllieG
7-Sep-2023, 10:56
I ended up following this Rodinal trend last month after my binge on XTOL. So far so good with Fuji X-ray . I feel dirty as it’s so simple.

paulbarden
7-Sep-2023, 13:28
I ended up following this Rodinal trend last month after my binge on XTOL. So far so good with Fuji X-ray . I feel dirty as it’s so simple.

Sounds like a Hank Hill quote - "Rodinal's a dirty girl!"

Tin Can
7-Sep-2023, 13:44
Why bother to suggest Rodinol???

Most experts here prefer alchemy!!!

Fred L
8-Sep-2023, 07:33
fwiw, I've been using Blazinal that was opened more than year ago. can't see much difference in the results. might be a few crystals on the bottom but otherwise...

spacegoose
8-Sep-2023, 15:45
I bought some Adox Rodinal from Adorama recently and they shipped it to me. I think it cost a bit more to ship.

I looked around beforehand, most places were out, B & H wouldn't ship it.

I haven't used any yet but I notice it seems more watery than I recall Agfa's Rodinal to be, which I remember was more syrupy?

Am I misremembering? Perhaps I'm confusing it with HC110.

Tin Can
8-Sep-2023, 15:53
110 is the thick one

I bought some Adox Rodinal from Adorama recently and they shipped it to me. I think it cost a bit more to ship.

I looked around beforehand, most places were out, B & H wouldn't ship it.

I haven't used any yet but I notice it seems more watery than I recall Agfa's Rodinal to be, which I remember was more syrupy?

Am I misremembering? Perhaps I'm confusing it with HC110.

Tin Can
9-Sep-2023, 05:58
Got the 6 bottles of Rodinal after sunset

They were loose in a too big box, the baggy broke

NOT packed or labeled correctly

Perhaps I never need to buy more

I use 10 ml per 80 square inches of film

Usually 4 up in Gas Burst

jnantz
9-Sep-2023, 07:26

yeah there was a thread that Mirko started or chimed in on years ago when RO9's Rodinal's Authenticity over on fo3o was being discussed. He said something like it's Agfa's recipe or one of their recipes or something like that. there was some guy who had a chimp wearing sunglasses listening to a walk man or looking a human skull or something equally as provocative for an avatar who was collecting and publishing(?) developer recipes .. he seemed to have said " it's not Rodinal" and a lot of the developers of the olden days can't be made anymore because of outlawed chemical components or no one is left at the lab who remembers what temperature they are supposed to boil substance A+C at before adding cold substance B+D ... not sure, but I do know people were really cranky because he was hunting and gathering recipes that were in the public domain and he may or may not have been saying where he found them. sure are a lot of developers out there. Maybe you remember his website, it looked like torn pages from a spiral bound notebook. he seemed to suggest he had a open air garage and he was boiling developer chemicals.

paulbarden
9-Sep-2023, 07:50
Got the 6 bottles of Rodinal after sunset

They were loose in a too big box, the baggy broke

NOT packed or labeled correctly

Perhaps I never need to buy more

I use 10 ml per 80 square inches of film

Usually 4 up in Gas Burst

Guess I won't be buying it from Adorama.

I looked up the Adorama eBay store to buy Rodinal, and they have 55 negative reviews for the past 12 months alone. Lots of complaints about getting the wrong item, bad packaging, etc.

Michael R
9-Sep-2023, 07:53
Was that the guy Ian Grant was constantly flustered about? I can’t remember his first name but the second initial was E. Something E. That guy?

yeah there was a thread that Mirko started or chimed in on years ago when RO9's Rodinal's Authenticity over on fo3o was being discussed. He said something like it's Agfa's recipe or one of their recipes or something like that. there was some guy who had a chimp wearing sunglasses listening to a walk man or looking a human skull or something equally as provocative for an avatar who was collecting and publishing(?) developer recipes .. he seemed to have said " it's not Rodinal" and a lot of the developers of the olden days can't be made anymore because of outlawed chemical components or no one is left at the lab who remembers what temperature they are supposed to boil substance A+C at before adding cold substance B+D ... not sure, but I do know people were really cranky because he was hunting and gathering recipes that were in the public domain and he may or may not have been saying where he found them. sure are a lot of developers out there. Maybe you remember his website, it looked like torn pages from a spiral bound notebook. he seemed to suggest he had a open air garage and he was boiling developer chemicals.

jnantz
9-Sep-2023, 09:56
Was that the guy Ian Grant was constantly flustered about? I can’t remember his first name but the second initial was E. Something E. That guy?

yea I think that was the guy. ...

Mark Sampson
9-Sep-2023, 10:56
Ah, the endless search for the "magic bullet". See the 'opinions' section on the front page of this site.

Michael R
9-Sep-2023, 12:24
Well, Rodinal was arguably the first silver bullet. D-76 was essentially the last. Sliced bread is the greatest thing since D-76. :)

OllieG
9-Sep-2023, 12:34
Ah, the endless search for the "magic bullet". See the 'opinions' section on the front page of this site.

I just had a read... 100% on the money.

paulbarden
15-Sep-2023, 14:41
Although I wasn't going to buy from Adorama because of numerous reports about bad service, I went ahead and bought 2 bottles of the Adox Rodinal.
I'm happy to report that I received it in 3 days, and it arrived well-packed in a box labeled "this way up!" and was delivered to me correctly oriented. Much to my surprise, this transaction went smoothly and Adorama gets 5 stars from me.

jnantz
15-Sep-2023, 18:34
Although I wasn't going to buy from Adorama because of numerous reports about bad service, I went ahead and bought 2 bottles of the Adox Rodinal.
I'm happy to report that I received it in 3 days, and it arrived well-packed in a box labeled "this way up!" and was delivered to me correctly oriented. Much to my surprise, this transaction went smoothly and Adorama gets 5 stars from me.

for a while there they had a stretch of really good customer service. they hired Helen Oster and she fixed problems and compensated and tried to make sure there were no problems. she left 5 or 6 years ago and sounds like they could use someone with her expertise. I remember back in the day you'd buy something from them over the phone and get an earful, like you were ordering a meal at the old Durgin-Park in Boston..

Dugan
15-Sep-2023, 21:08
Sliced bread is the greatest thing since D-76. :)

LOL!
..but I think Rodinal might actually have preceded sliced bread. <shrug>

Michael R
16-Sep-2023, 05:43
Yup Rodinal pre-dates D-76 which pre-dates sliced bread. :)

Torquemada
7-Dec-2023, 22:57

mine came with the this way up arrow facing the cieling, but the bottles themselves, the lids were facing down. Ironically the delivery dude put the package on my door step, arrow pointing DOWN>