PDA

View Full Version : 180 Symmar S MC

Bob McCarthy
15-May-2006, 04:49
After a 15 year absence I'm back into large format. I'm currently assembling my system. In looking at lenses in the local market (Dallas), I was shown a used 180 Symmar.

Lens was clean, no fogging or significant dust. Barrel showed no brassing, or other wear.

It did have what appeared to be metal flakes (well shiney anyway) just behind the front element. All were to one side and I suspect the lens has been sitting on its side for quite a while.

Questions, A) is the silver an issue, B) can it be repaired, C) is the Symmas S near equivalent to the APO varient, and D) anyone have a clue whats its worth should the flakes be a non issue (dealer wants roughly $600).

Thanks for any response.

Bob

Steve Hamley
15-May-2006, 05:31
Bob,

Seems high to me, search eBay for completed auctions to get a feel for the going price - my guess is about $400 - 450 for a nice one. The Symmar S is now two generations old. The silver is probably "Schneideritis", a separation of the black paint on the edges of the glass. It can probably be repaired, but at the cited price plus fixing it, you could come close to getting a new lens. Mild cases are generally believed to not cause image problems but does decrease value. In comparison, MPEX lists the latest "Like New" Rodenstock for $795.

Steve

Kevin Crisp
15-May-2006, 05:38
Bob: I agree with Steve. This is a fine lens with what sounds like what we call "Schneideritis." Schneider takes the position it has no effect on the image and from my experience this is correct. It will bring the value down some since it is a turn-off to some buyers. Price should be down more in the $325-$375 range.

Ted Harris
15-May-2006, 05:50
One quick additional comment, the Symmar S came in both single and multi coated versions. If it doesn't say multicoated or MC on it then it is not and that puts the value squarely in the 300 area. Only a later multicoated version would be worth more.

Bob McCarthy
15-May-2006, 06:55
It was a MC. Guessing, it was a new lens that sat on the shelf for 20 years. It was that clean. All the little flakes were piled up on one side. I've bought uses nikkors from KEH with satisfaction. I'll look there. I don't like ebay, though I've used it successfully. Seems like the "wild west" compared to a dealer who has there reputation at stake.

Any other vendors you would recommend?

Gonna pass on this one.

Thanks,

Bob

ronald moravec
17-May-2006, 13:44
I paid 400 for a mint one. Very fine lens.

Find one without debris in it.

Jeremy Moore
17-May-2006, 14:15
Bob, I'm in Denton, north of Dallas, if you'd like to go shoot sometime let me know :)

Also, I highly recommend KEH.com for used equipment. They have had way too much of my money over the years.

-Jeremy

Rider
5-Jun-2006, 07:49
One quick additional comment, the Symmar S came in both single and multi coated versions. If it doesn't say multicoated or MC on it then it is not and that puts the value squarely in the 300 area. Only a later multicoated version would be worth more.

Why is multicoating so important? I have heard various advice on this: some people say that single coating is all that's needed with LF lenses.

Bob McCarthy
5-Jun-2006, 08:11
Bob, I'm in Denton, north of Dallas, if you'd like to go shoot sometime let me know :)

Also, I highly recommend KEH.com for used equipment. They have had way too much of my money over the years.

-Jeremy

I too have used KEH for quite a while. I've recently made a few LF friends here in the metroplex. I was able to pick up two lenses (Fuji 150 and 300) from a local LF enthusist at a very fair price. Midwest is very popular with the local guys.

Bob