PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Ikeda Anba Japan View Camera 5x7

Vaughan
30-Aug-2023, 22:44
Hello

I just purchased a project camera from Glendale Heights IL USA, not Japan. The seller identified it as an Ikeda Anba but it has no markings. The bellows could be classified as hazardous waste and the metal work is somewhat dull but the camera appears to be otherwise complete. It has a spring back, I took a chance on whether modern 5x7 film holders will fit and am pleasantly surprised to find they do. When folded the camera is 55mm, thinner than a Tachihara 4x5, and weighs only 1.6 kg.

One of the interesting features is the mechanical level on the side. Brilliant. Some photos attached.

Finding a new bellows will be a challenge, but I'm seriously looking forward to getting it going again.

JMO
31-Aug-2023, 00:48
After you get it cleaned up, you could either send the whole camera, or just the bellows if you can detach
them intact, to Custom Bellows in the UK. They can either install the new bellows perfectly fit to your camera, or send you a replacement bellows that you can install.

Vaughn
31-Aug-2023, 13:02
Fun project! Not a lot of movements, but very usable. Tripod attachment will be another project.

My older cameras have similar mechanical levels. Useful!

notorius
31-Aug-2023, 23:11
Fun project! Not a lot of movements, but very usable. Tripod attachment will be another project.

My older cameras have similar mechanical levels. Useful!

Very nice camera and project! I have a similar camera with mechanical level too. I my case I have to check it every time I close the camera. It is little bit loose and can block the movement.

r_a_feldman
1-Sep-2023, 14:03
Tripod attachment will be another project.

Here is what you need for your tripod attachment. It came with my Okuhara half-plate field camera. The graph paper is 1" by 8ths.

You could also attach a Folmer Graflex Crown tripod to where the black pins shown in your photo #4 are located, like this photo showing one leg attached:

Vaughan
2-Sep-2023, 01:59
Thanks for the suggestions.

Axelwik
2-Sep-2023, 08:36
Looks like a very useable camera once it's cleaned up and the bellows is replaced. Enjoy it!

Oren Grad
2-Sep-2023, 09:11
I have a 5x7 Nagaoka, which is similarly compact and lightweight - marginally heavier (3 lb 12 oz), probably because it has a full rather than hollow base. One of the things that allows the camera to fold to such a compact size is that the bellows is pretty thin. So if you order a new bellows, be sure to specify not just the mounting dimensions, number of pleats and maximum extension, but also how far it needs to compress to allow the camera to close.

Good luck and enjoy - using these ultralight, easy-folding cameras in the field is a delight!

Vaughan
14-Sep-2023, 06:13
The camera has no brand markings, the seller thought it was an Anba Ikeda. However from looking at other cameras, the detail on the metal work and particularly the mounting for the handle on the top (which is completely missing the leather part) I think it's probably an Okuhara.

I ordered the new bellows today.

The camera also came with a wood Fulmer & Schwing 5x7 plate holder (without cut film sheaths) that had broken dark slides but were otherwise good. I fashioned replacement slides from thin black plastic sheet that is hopefully light tight. I have some J.Lane Dry Plate Ambrotype black glass plates that will be suitable for the camera. This old holder is identical in size to modern 5x7 holders.

MadJake
14-Sep-2023, 08:06
That's a nice looking camera. Another source for bellows is a guy in Hong Kong who regularly has listings on eBay. I bought a set of bellows from him three years ago. They were for a Toyo Metal Field 4 3/4" x 6 1/2" Sakai Special camera and cost me £100 shipped. I wrote about it on my blog in 2020.

Vaughan
14-Sep-2023, 17:21
Another source for bellows is a guy in Hong Kong who regularly has listings on eBay.

That's probably the seller I bought from. I've bought several (via eBay and AliExpress) and all have been excellent. I consider them to be reasonably priced considering the expertise involved in making a bellows.

Since it's a custom bellows build I needed to provide detailed measurements so there is a chance it may not fit (if not the fault will probably lie with my measurements, and I'll sell the bellows on the forum as it will be of use to somebody.) If this goes well there are a couple of whole plate cameras that look extremely interesting: their bellows are shot and the camera body looks dirty but appears to be complete and unbroken.

Vaughan
14-Sep-2023, 17:35
I have a question about the camera back. The ground glass is cut really badly which suggests it's not original (it appears quite old though) and the metal brackets holding the glass to the frame look odd, not least being the poor way the screws are fitted: none are straight, some are almost sideways. There are a couple of additional screw holes under the corners which suggests they aren't original. Two of the corners (those at the end the holder is inserted) have had the metal cross bar bent outwards as if it should be holding something.

Most of the Okuhara (and similar) cameras I can find on the web have plate backs not spring backs like this one, so I cannot get an idea of how this camera may have originally looked. If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Vaughan
13-Nov-2023, 23:54
A video of the restored camera in use:

https://youtu.be/24lmoi9zQG0

DannL-USA
15-Nov-2023, 09:24
Congrats on the camera find. There is lots of potential there. I ended up taking the full plate route. Ebay, direct from Japan. I looked for a 5x7 but could never find one. Having to cut my own film just adds to the fun.
243924 243925
Okuhara 6-1/2 x 8-1/2

Vaughan
15-Nov-2023, 19:20
I have whole plate backs for Rittreck View. Shanghai was selling 6½x8½ film a couple of years ago, I bought a couple of boxes. I also got a box of J.Lane Speed Plates. Unfortunately he seems to no longer be in business.

Jim Andrada
16-Nov-2023, 15:02
Jason seems to have moved inland from NH - to Illinois or somewhere in the mid west IIRC. He hadn't posted in quite a while, but then I saw a post or two from him not so long ago so he's still around.

I have a full plate camera also - it's a really nice form factor and perfect for contact prints IMHO. I bought some FP4+ when Ilford had their custom buy a few years back.

Vaughan
16-Nov-2023, 17:06
The force in whole plate cameras is strong, I'm tempted by several old woodies similar to the 5x7 this post is about, but the even greater difficulty in finding film is a huge deterrent. That, and the fact that most WP cameras have glass-plate-holder backs, and those few with spring backs can be a problem because there is no standard for WP film holders and some makers like Rittreck made their own standard.

I have a bit of time on my hands, and making dry glass plates (in quantities for sale) would be a project I could get enthusiastic about. But I'd hate to rain on Jason's parade.

r_a_feldman
17-Nov-2023, 08:02
The camera has no brand markings, the seller thought it was an Anba Ikeda. However from looking at other cameras, the detail on the metal work and particularly the mounting for the handle on the top (which is completely missing the leather part) I think it's probably an Okuhara.

Based on the half-plate Okuhara camera I have and ones I have seen on the Web, I do not think your camera is an Okuhara. The handle fitting is different from mine and the clips to hold the ground glass are different. Also, I have never seen one with a spring back. However, it is possible that the back on yours has been replaced with one from a different manufacturer (hence the different GG clips). Of the half-dozen or so I have seen pictured on the Web, no two are alike, complicating identification.