PDA

View Full Version : Is this separation?

uphereinmytree
29-Aug-2023, 07:50
this is the rear cell of a symmar 240mm convertible lens. It has concentric circles in the front elements of the rear cell set. They look like scratches, but are too perfectly circular and even.
Is it separation? Also, can this element be removed from the housing. it seems to be glued into place? thanks

xkaes
29-Aug-2023, 08:06
I don't know what else it could be -- Here's a better picture.

domaz
29-Aug-2023, 08:42
I recently took apart a 240mm Symmar to clean it and you could separate out one of the groups in each cell, but after that it looked like the remaining cells were either glued or held in place by a metal rim. Probably not trivial to get that apart if you wanted to re-cement it.

Kevin Crisp
29-Aug-2023, 09:52
I sent you multiple messages about the part you said you needed and you ignored me.

I've not seen a lens separate in concentric circles like that.

Even if one of the lens is internally fixed in the mount, it is a single non-glued lens so you can clean it.

domaz
29-Aug-2023, 14:48
Kevin-

I just had one of these lenses apart and one of the lens group that came out easily appeared pretty glued to me. Check this older PDF on Symmar's Page 5. (https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00896/00896.pdf) so if you had an issue in that first cemented group it would be an issue and not cleanable.

Kevin Crisp
29-Aug-2023, 18:07
Assuming that the lens type corresponds with #1 in the attachment (interesting document I've never seen) then we are saying the same thing. If you take apart the rear element, first you get to two glued together pieces of glass. Then an air space and a smaller single lens. Sometimes that smaller one doesn't come out easily, but you can still access both sides of it and clean it.