PDA

View Full Version : Unread postings

Alec Jones
14-May-2006, 10:09
Perhaps it is here and I've just missed it, but is it possible to have the postings I have opened marked? I liked that feature in Photo.Net, but haven't found a way to implement it here. Just logging in doesn't seem to do it, and I would hope that is a pre-requirement.

Donald Qualls
14-May-2006, 10:18
It's doing it automatically for me -- you can mark the whole forum read (at the end of a visit, say), from the "quick links" menu, or you can display only new posts since your last visit with the "new posts" menu entry.

Ralph Barker
14-May-2006, 10:49
Depends on how you're navigating, Alec. If you use the back button in your browser to return to the unified view index, for example, clicking the Unified View link will update the status of the posts you've read.

Alec Jones
14-May-2006, 10:52
No, Donald, it is not the same thing. I don't read all the messages, so I find that looking back for a message is easier if I only have to look at the ones I did read. Since other major forums [photo.net, Graflex.org/helpboard] do this, I'm just suggesting that if it is present, but unknown to me, or present, but not activated by the moderators, that it become available. Then again, mayble I'm the only one that misses this feature. We DID have it last time, you know.

Tom Westbrook
14-May-2006, 11:08
I think we're just not clear about what you mean by "unread". I think you're talking about the fact a visited link changes appearance in you browser when you go back to the page where you clicked on it the first time.

If I'm right about that, then it's a "feature"! The default style has the same colors for visited and non-visited links. I'll see if I can't change it to be different colors.

Paul Coppin
14-May-2006, 14:09
Non-read threads (since you last looked) are bold in the lists. Once you've read them (you may have to go out of the board and come back in) they go to regular weight text. The marker on the left is red if it contains new posts since you last looked, and will have an "return arrow" if you made a contribution.

Donald Qualls
14-May-2006, 15:15
What I recall seeing on the old version is that you'd get an e-mail notification if someone replied to your posting (and you'd asked to be so notified). The closest this software comes to that, that I'm aware of, is to let you subscribe to a thread so you receive all replies in that thread.

I'll admit, it would be nice to have a flag indicating if I've previously posted to a thread (APUG has this, but most boards I've seen using PHPbbs don't), since I don't get the e-mail notifications (never requested them on the old software, either). I don't find it that big a deal, though, since the software does a good job of showing me what threads have new replies since my last visit.

One limitation this software has, though, is that it doesn't seem to natively hold posts unread from one visit to the next -- more of an issue on higher traffic boards than this one, I think.

Tom Westbrook
14-May-2006, 15:32
I'll admit, it would be nice to have a flag indicating if I've previously posted to a thread

When inside Forums or in Unified view or using those search URLs I posted in News yesterday, you get a different Icon if you posted in a thread. There is a little arrow on the icon.

Donald Qualls
15-May-2006, 13:18
When inside Forums or in Unified view or using those search URLs I posted in News yesterday, you get a different Icon if you posted in a thread. There is a little arrow on the icon.

Aaaah, so there is. Too subtle for my brain, addled by too many hours of scanning negatives. Obviously need to get into the darkroom, smell some fixer, get my fingers in the Dektol and clear my head... ;)

Alec Jones
15-May-2006, 20:57
Thanks to you all. Sounds like I need to read about the features more since mayble it already has what I want. I think I'm beginning to notice changes, and I'll study it more. Generally, I like the new format. Thanks the work it took to change it over.