PDA

View Full Version : ADOX takes step on D-76 production

Vaidotas
20-Aug-2023, 11:18
Fotoimpex announcement.

“Because of the significant supply problems in the market for Kodak branded D-76 developer customers have asked ADOX to start production of the D-76 developer.
And ADOX fulfilled this customer demand:

The Kodak “Developer-76” recipe is a photography legend next to Rodinal, gaining almost universal recognition as the go-to developer for photojournalistic work during the WWII and post war era.
D-76 is a universal, easy-to-use developer with a multitude of applications with the most different films and contrast situations, always delivering fine grain and great speed-utilisation.
ADOX took the classical formula and, while keeping all the important original properties and developing times, brought it up to modern standards. The new ADOX D-76 has significantly lower dissolving temperatures, as well as the Captura® technology for dust-free mixing. Additionally, all the borates were removed and replaced with a non-toxic biodegradable buffer. The ADOX D-76 powder developer is made in Germany, with both research and post-production quality control carried out on site. The product is available in 1l and 5l packs.
The ADOX D-76 developer can be used exactly like the Kodak D-76, with the already-published D-76 times, dilutions and factors.
ADOX D-76 is available at our online shop and our store in Berlin:

https://www.fotoimpex.com/chemistry/adox-d-76-film-developer-to-mix-1000-ml.html?fbclid=IwAR0PRZRQGg8KQLIsYesJXdLAjdJTHKAXYurrhTJzdajnEX5lioNXYnEga00

Michael R
20-Aug-2023, 12:13
XT3 made some sense to me as an XTOL clone but this one puzzles me. For one thing, even if Kodak branded chemicals are indeed dead, there is still Ilford ID-11 which is identical to D-76. Not to mention D-76 is quite easily/cheaply scratch-mixed for those preferring that route. I guess borate-free and captura would be the selling points here.

Alan Klein
20-Aug-2023, 14:34
My lab North Coast Photo in Carlsbad CA uses Clayton F76+ which is supposed to be close to D76.

Oren Grad
20-Aug-2023, 14:47
Clayton F76+ is a phenidone-based developer sold as a liquid, D-76 is a metol-based developer sold as a powder.

jnantz
20-Aug-2023, 15:10
sprint film developer is like d76 as well but better... easy to mix works every time ..

Alan Klein
20-Aug-2023, 21:34
Clayton F76+ is a phenidone-based developer sold as a liquid, D-76 is a metol-based developer sold as a powder.

Do you get similar results?

Oren Grad
21-Aug-2023, 06:49
Do you get similar results?

Fair question! I've used only a bottle or two of the Clayton, have much more extensive experience with D-76 and haven't done a well-controlled comparison, so I won't venture an opinion. Most of the time I prefer the powder developers for film, but I've mostly switched from D-76 to ID-11 because it's easier to mix. Evidently the new Adox D-76 offers a similar advantage, and I'm happy to see another option available.

Alan Klein
21-Aug-2023, 07:25
Fair question! I've used only a bottle or two of the Clayton, have much more extensive experience with D-76 and haven't done a well-controlled comparison, so I won't venture an opinion. Most of the time I prefer the powder developers for film, but I've mostly switched from D-76 to ID-11 because it's easier to mix. Evidently the new Adox D-76 offers a similar advantage, and I'm happy to see another option available.

North Shore Photo told me they get the same results with Clayton as they do with D76. That's what they claim. I have no personal experience since I don't have a dark room. That's why I was asking the question.

Alan Klein
21-Aug-2023, 07:30
All these I believe were processed for me at North Shore with Clayton.
Tmax 400 in 35mm and 4x5 https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-taken-desc&safe_search=1&tags=tmax400&user_id=55760757%40N05&view_all=1
Tmax 100 in 4x5 except the color and BW conversion. https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-taken-desc&safe_search=1&tags=150mm&user_id=55760757%40N05&view_all=1