PDA

View Full Version : LF lenses with cat's eye bokeh?

StrangleMeRandy
13-Aug-2023, 02:11
I know it's not the most popular look, but it's a look "eye" love (ha ha). Are there any large format lenses known for this look?

Sample of the look, from fstoppers:

Reference shot for the catty bokeh of one of my favorite lenses, Minolta's MC Rokkor 50/1.4, from Phillip Reeve:

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I do like the look! Less the outlined look, mainly the almost halo-like effect of the warping bokeh.

Also, you might find it interesting that the effect is called optical vignetting, the bokeh is physically clipped (from photographylife.com):

If I'm being honest, I would very much like to find a catty 300mm or so, with enough coverage for some movement on 5x7, with a pronounced cat eye sorta look. I do know that 50mm translates to 250mm, not 300mm, on 5x7, but I would like a bit more reach. I recently found out about the Tele Dynar 32cm f/6.3, which apparently covers 8x10, seems nice. Also, I already have a nice Fujinar 25cm f/4.7 which I haven't really tested the bokeh of. I should do that. I would hope a singlecoated tessar might have nice bokeh. Hmm... Pardon my liberal use of the B word...

Tin Can
13-Aug-2023, 04:59
Your links failed

Mark J
13-Aug-2023, 05:40
Cats-eye bokeh IS vignetting.
A big Tessar at full aperture or near full-aperture should work for you. How it's coated won't make any difference.

Mark J
13-Aug-2023, 10:40
If I'm being honest, I would very much like to find a catty 300mm or so, with enough coverage for some movement on 5x7, with a pronounced cat eye sorta look. I do know that 50mm translates to 250mm, not 300mm, on 5x7, but I would like a bit more reach. I recently found out about the Tele Dynar 32cm f/6.3, which apparently covers 8x10, seems nice. Also, I already have a nice Fujinar 25cm f/4.7 which I haven't really tested the bokeh of..
Going to longer focal lengths will not help you to get the cat-eye look ; because the vignetting is most noticeable as you get towards the lens's full coverage angle. The Fujinar however sounds like a good bet - see how that works out.

Larry Gebhardt
13-Aug-2023, 10:51
Maybe find a tele lens designed for 4x5 since they should have less coverage and vignette on 5x7.

Drew Wiley
13-Aug-2023, 14:33
Find a cat.

xkaes
13-Aug-2023, 15:26

Drew Bedo
14-Aug-2023, 07:17
What about the 1970s to 1980s look of mirror lenses in 35mm film format? All out of focus highlights make a little circle.

Has anyone ever mounted a 4x5 to a large-idsh folded optic telescope? A Celestron or other astro telescope with a
TravelWide or WillTravel on the back could do that. Have to use eyepiece projection techniques to get the coverage.

Larry Gebhardt
14-Aug-2023, 08:29
Maybe a barrel lens with a cats eye shaped Waterhouse stop would also give the look.

xkaes
14-Aug-2023, 08:45
Maybe a barrel lens with a cats eye shaped Waterhouse stop would also give the look.

The Fujinar SC lenses -- like the one pictured above -- were also sold as barrel lenses, and simply labeled Fujinar, without the "SC", which is an abbreviation for "SHUTTER COPAL".

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm

A "cat's eye" aperture could easily be made on any of the lenses -- even one that is variable. Just two concave, opaque sheets.

xkaes
14-Aug-2023, 08:52
What about the 1970s to 1980s look of mirror lenses in 35mm film format? All out of focus highlights make a little circle.

Has anyone ever mounted a 4x5 to a large-idsh folded optic telescope? A Celestron or other astro telescope with a
TravelWide or WillTravel on the back could do that. Have to use eyepiece projection techniques to get the coverage.

Because 35mm lenses -- and similar telescope optics -- are designed to cover a "small" format, they will only cover 4x5" (or even medium format) at extreme magnification -- which requires an extreme amount of extension. Not any help for distant subjects.

Mark J
14-Aug-2023, 10:51
Yes, it sort of depends what the OP wants from this though. This approach will make central out of focus highlights the 'cat-eye' shape but when it interacts with vignetting in the lens you will get some odd and variable shapes around the picture periphery ... unless you stop the lens down a lot ... in which case the backgrounds won't be out of focus enough.

Mark Sawyer
14-Aug-2023, 15:52
Regarding a cat's-eye-shaped aperture, that won't work. That cat's-eye specular highlight would maintain the same direction at all points all through the frame, while a cat's-eye specular highlight from mechanical vignetting will rotate around the center and only have the cat's-eye shape at the periphery of the frame where the vignetting occurs. Vignetting from a lens hood might give the effect that StrangleMeRandy is looking for.

As the rotational cat's-eye effect is somewhat reminiscent of the "Petzval Swirl", I'll point out that the Petzval's effect is from sagittal astigmatism, not the aperture shape.

maltfalc
14-Aug-2023, 17:44
Because 35mm lenses -- and similar telescope optics -- are designed to cover a "small" format, they will only cover 4x5" (or even medium format) at extreme magnification -- which requires an extreme amount of extension. Not any help for distant subjects.

not true. you missed the "eyepiece projection" part.

xkaes
15-Aug-2023, 05:53
And what does that do to the image quality, length of exposure, light fall-off, etc.?

MAubrey
15-Aug-2023, 16:01
I know it's not the most popular look, but it's a look "eye" love (ha ha). Are there any large format lenses known for this look?

Sample of the look, from fstoppers:

Reference shot for the catty bokeh of one of my favorite lenses, Minolta's MC Rokkor 50/1.4, from Phillip Reeve:

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I do like the look! Less the outlined look, mainly the almost halo-like effect of the warping bokeh.

Also, you might find it interesting that the effect is called optical vignetting, the bokeh is physically clipped (from photographylife.com):

If I'm being honest, I would very much like to find a catty 300mm or so, with enough coverage for some movement on 5x7, with a pronounced cat eye sorta look. I do know that 50mm translates to 250mm, not 300mm, on 5x7, but I would like a bit more reach. I recently found out about the Tele Dynar 32cm f/6.3, which apparently covers 8x10, seems nice. Also, I already have a nice Fujinar 25cm f/4.7 which I haven't really tested the bokeh of. I should do that. I would hope a singlecoated tessar might have nice bokeh. Hmm... Pardon my liberal use of the B word...

Having movements from a large image circle and also cat-eye bokeh are two competing things. The cat's eye is mechanical vignetting and mechanical vignetting also impacts the size of the image circle. If you're willing to find a lens that's designed for a format smaller than 5x7 at infinity and only use it for nearer focus (e.g. portraits) you'll get the effect you want. I use a 300mm f/4.5 Xenar (an 8x10 lens) on my 11x14 and I get cat's eye bokeh with it.