PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 810MII Front/Rear standards not locking.

jammo
5-Aug-2023, 04:01
Posting here hoping a Toyo 810MII user has any idea, or had similar experience, why my brand new 810MII's front and rear standards do not lock tight into position. When I set the camera up, bring the rear and front standards in the "zero" position no matter how tight I turn the fixing knobs both standards still tilt forwards with the slightest of pressure.

I would rather not have to return the camera as its abroad and would be a massive hassle, and cost, plus having already paid import taxes....its complicated here in Germany!

Thank you.

Alan Klein
5-Aug-2023, 05:27
Posting here hoping a Toyo 810MII user has any idea, or had similar experience, why my brand new 810MII's front and rear standards do not lock tight into position. When I set the camera up, bring the rear and front standards in the "zero" position no matter how tight I turn the fixing knobs both standards still tilt forwards with the slightest of pressure.

I would rather not have to return the camera as its abroad and would be a massive hassle, and cost, plus having already paid import taxes....its complicated here in Germany!

Thank you.

Maybe washers are missing to keep the screws tight?

jammo
5-Aug-2023, 06:13
Maybe washers are missing to keep the screws tight?

It does not look like anything is missing, I can’t imagine how especially as it’s a brand new unused camera. Thanks

Alan Klein
5-Aug-2023, 12:58
I found this discussion. Some have mentioned something about tightening set screws and keep the screw knobs loose when carrying.
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?71388-Toyo-8x10-810MII-opinions-please

jammo
5-Aug-2023, 14:19
I found this discussion. Some have mentioned something about tightening set screws and keep the screw knobs loose when carrying.
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?71388-Toyo-8x10-810MII-opinions-please

Thanks Alan, I've read it but unfortunately no information concerning my problem.

rawitz
6-Aug-2023, 03:24
Both front and rear standarts have zero-adjustment screws. Rear has one, front has two on each side (one at the bottom). They easy become loose, after fixing you better do not hold/transport the camera by the standarts, but only by the bottomplate.

jammo
6-Aug-2023, 04:20
Both front and rear standarts have zero-adjustment screws. Rear has one, front has two on each side (one at the bottom). They easy become loose, after fixing you better do not hold/transport the camera by the standarts, but only by the bottomplate.

Thanks for your reply. All the zero-adjustment screws are as tight as it gets, I checked those first and they don't seem to play a role in the problem I'm facing which is locking the standards in position.

MartyNL
6-Aug-2023, 09:15
I'm a little bewildered by your problem so I felt I needed to get out my 810M. The fact that it's the same issue for all 4 knobs makes it all the more bizarre.

Here are some pic's.
One of my covers is missing so it's possible to see what's underneath.

Firstly, I'm curious about;

1. How much you can turn a rear knob, from the fully open position to the 'fully closed' or as closed as you can get it position.

2. How much physical space or the amount of travel between the fully open position and the 'fully closed' or as closed as you can get it position.

For my Toyo 810M the answer to;

1. Just over one and a half rotations. I used tape to mark the position. It will not go any further in either direction. It's the maximum from fully open to fully closed.

2. About 3mm space once released.

jammo
6-Aug-2023, 12:10

This is what mine look like, all four. As you can see, I can take the knobs completely off, which I understand differs to the M. Tightend all the way the the plastic of the knobs lays flush with the base of the standards.

What I find strange, and I hope I can explain this properly, is that when I do tighten the knobs, as soon as the knob base hits the standard base, I cannot tighten anymore, not even a fraction of a mm, whereby I would logically expect that I should be able to do so to create the tension necessary to hold any two pieces together, does that make sense?

jammo
6-Aug-2023, 12:21
And this of the front knob,

1- Knob detached,
2- knob attached but still loose
3- Knob tightened. As you can see, the space between the front standard base and the camera base remains unchanged.

jammo
6-Aug-2023, 12:22
Sorry, this is the front base knob detached:

MartyNL
6-Aug-2023, 13:24
Sorry, I didn't realise the knobs had changed.

For clarity, when you tighten the knobs they don't lock tight but they just keep turning without travelling any further along the thread?

gypsydog
6-Aug-2023, 17:55
this may give you an idea of what your lock mechanism should look like.

Alan Klein
6-Aug-2023, 18:06
The screw may be too long. Can you back it off from the other end or cut it down so you can tighten the knob fully?

jammo
7-Aug-2023, 00:43
Sorry, I didn't realise the knobs had changed.

For clarity, when you tighten the knobs they don't lock tight but they just keep turning without travelling any further along the thread?

No, they stop completely turning as soon as the knob hits the standard base. I meant that as I can't turn anymore I can't feel any tension building as I would expect.

jammo
7-Aug-2023, 00:45
The screw may be too long. Can you back it off from the other end or cut it down so you can tighten the knob fully?

I dare not cut it down but I did test that by using a few washers of differing materials...not much changed.

MartyNL
7-Aug-2023, 01:49
I'm afraid it may take an Mii owner to measure the length of the theaded bolt and to check the 'pinch-point' in order to determine where your problem lies.

In the meantime, you could try contacting the seller, who may cover all costs for return postage, duty etc.

And if you bought it by credit card, you might also be insured, so it could also be worth looking into.

Best of luck!

jammo
7-Aug-2023, 04:02
I'm afraid it may take an Mii owner to measure the length of the theaded bolt and to check the 'pinch-point' in order to determine where your problem lies.

In the meantime, you could try contacting the seller, who may cover all costs for return postage, duty etc.

And if you bought it by credit card, you might also be insured, so it could also be worth looking into.

Best of luck!

Thanks Marty, yes, I'm now sending it to be repaired and the seller is willing to cover the costs.

Best regards.

Cor
7-Aug-2023, 06:17

This is what mine look like, all four. As you can see, I can take the knobs completely off, which I understand differs to the M. Tightend all the way the the plastic of the knobs lays flush with the base of the standards.

What I find strange, and I hope I can explain this properly, is that when I do tighten the knobs, as soon as the knob base hits the standard base, I cannot tighten anymore, not even a fraction of a mm, whereby I would logically expect that I should be able to do so to create the tension necessary to hold any two pieces together, does that make sense?

Bit late, and I can be of no help, I too have a M1, but I cannot help noticing that is seems that this knob itself can be take apart, the "grooves" seem not be aligned. Probably of no help since you send it for repairs.

good luck,

best,

Cor

jammo
7-Aug-2023, 09:41
this may give you an idea of what your lock mechanism should look like.

Thanks a lot for the document .

jammo
7-Aug-2023, 09:43
Bit late, and I can be of no help, I too have a M1, but I cannot help noticing that is seems that this knob itself can be take apart, the "grooves" seem not be aligned. Probably of no help since you send it for repairs.

good luck,

best,

Cor

True, did not notice that!

jammo
31-Aug-2023, 05:29
An update, Toyo 810M users:

I received the camera back from repair today. There were extra washers in place that had been wrongly added it seems, and a lot of grease in and around the locking mechanisms that should not be there. Apparently these parts have to be bone dry for the mechanism to lock properly and tightly.

The front and back can now be tightened properly with little to no flex, however, I need to really really tighten the knobs hard to achieve that. Is that normal? Any users who can verify this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

MartyNL
31-Aug-2023, 12:12
It's not the case on the 810M but hopefully an 810Mii user can confirm.

tgtaylor
1-Sep-2023, 10:19
Also not the case on the MII.

jammo
1-Sep-2023, 11:27
Also not the case on the MII.

Thanks for the info. I was worried that might be the case. What a pain...