PDA

View Full Version : how do I make all digital topics disappear?

Wayne
13-May-2006, 12:47
Can I? eh?

the Wayne_3861 (booo!) formerly known as just Wayne and hopefully soon to be known as just Wayne again

Ralph Barker
13-May-2006, 12:53
I don't think the software has a keyword ignore list, but that might be a candidate for a future revision. ;)

There is, however, an ignore list for user IDs, accessed via your profile (through the "User CP" [control panel] link.

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 12:57
We're looking into selective forum viewing. More on that later. The number is due to having other accounts with the same name--you'll probably need to distinguish yourself from other Wayne's somehow.

Wayne
13-May-2006, 13:07
We're looking into selective forum viewing. More on that later. The number is due to having other accounts with the same name--you'll probably need to distinguish yourself from other Wayne's somehow.

I'm discussing this with Ralph behind the scenes, but I believe I'm already distinguished by

1) I believe I was the first "Wayne" here

2) I'm the only "Wayne" who has posted here since at least August 2005, and i think that Wayne stopped using that moniker long before that.

3) Other folks are using just a first name

Wayne

Wayne
13-May-2006, 13:13
Oops, you have a new Wayne problem. Someone merged my current history/profile with one of the other former Waynes, but not the right one. :)

Wayne

Frank Petronio
13-May-2006, 13:13
APUG sounds like a good forum for you

Wayne
13-May-2006, 13:53
APUG sounds like a good forum for you

Hi Frank, why dont you tell everyone about the time you posted digital images to APUG and got the ol boot in the rear end? :)

Wayne

Bruce Watson
13-May-2006, 14:01
Hi Frank, why dont you tell everyone about the time you posted digital images to APUG and got the ol boot in the rear end? :)
Wayne

Ah, civility. The man offers an answer to your question and you bite him. Nicely done.

Wayne
13-May-2006, 14:02
I don't think the software has a keyword ignore list, but that might be a candidate for a future revision. ;)

There is, however, an ignore list for user IDs, accessed via your profile (through the "User CP" [control panel] link.

And I'm sure with this topic I just made it onto many people's list. :)

But it should be easy enough to give it an "ignore forum" or "make forum invisible" function like APUG, shouldnt it? If that can be done I will be very happy with the new software, though I was content with the old forum.

Wayne

Wayne
13-May-2006, 14:07
Ah, civility. The man offers an answer to your question and you bite him. Nicely done.

Telling me to leave is civility? Pointing out Franks intentional, flagrant violation of APUG rules and his subsequent ouster is uncivil? Puhlease. I have no gripe with Frank, my question is a perfectly legitmate one that he had to be a smart aleck on.

Wayne

Ralph Barker
13-May-2006, 14:20
. . . But it should be easy enough to give it an "ignore forum" or "make forum invisible" function like APUG, shouldnt it? If that can be done I will be very happy with the new software, though I was content with the old forum.

I don't think that's a built-in feature, but we'll explore it. We're trying to keep the software as "stock" as possible to make updates/upgrades easier. In contrast, I believe Sean has done a lot of customizing on APUG, which means all of those changes have to be re-applied after any upgrade, or re-coded if incompatibilities result.

The "sub-forum view" (what you get when clicking on the "Large Format Photography Forum" link at the top) allows you to pick those sub-forums you want to read. The "unified view" shows all posts in all sub-forums, however.

Frank Petronio
13-May-2006, 14:33
Wayne, I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck, at least this time. But this forum has always mixed digital and trad, while APUG doesn't. People are going to mention inkjet, scan, pixels in otherwise "analog" threads... and trying to filter that out is going to be impossible. Or highly disjointed.

As for getting kicked outta APUG, geez, I wasn't trying anything there -- I just forgot it was so strict and thought I could share work with friends and honestly titled the work as printed on inkjet rather than faking it or leaving it blank. But a certain Littmann supporter had it in for me and raised a holy ruckus, and Sean is definitely a "black or white" kinda guy. He was P.O. at me from supporting Dean Jones over Littmann in a prior thread.

Like I said, it sounds like APUG is a good, digital-free place. And most of the people there are good folks. But jeez, filtering digital out of this forum would be like tossing 50% of the value away. Seriously.

Don Miller
13-May-2006, 14:48
I don't believe the name Old_School_Wayne is taken.

Bruce Watson
13-May-2006, 16:04
Personal attacks seem uncivil to me, yes.

clay harmon
13-May-2006, 16:07
I have a fully functional time machine that transports me back to 1909. Digital topics are never discussed. People are nicer, and nary a keyboard in sight.

clay harmon
13-May-2006, 16:10
Frank, seriously? You were kicked out of APUG? For a digital print? When about 50% of the stuff on there consists of scanned negatives? Holy geezamoly.

Wayne, I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck, at least this time. But this forum has always mixed digital and trad, while APUG doesn't. People are going to mention inkjet, scan, pixels in otherwise "analog" threads... and trying to filter that out is going to be impossible. Or highly disjointed.

As for getting kicked outta APUG, geez, I wasn't trying anything there -- I just forgot it was so strict and thought I could share work with friends and honestly titled the work as printed on inkjet rather than faking it or leaving it blank. But a certain Littmann supporter had it in for me and raised a holy ruckus, and Sean is definitely a "black or white" kinda guy. He was P.O. at me from supporting Dean Jones over Littmann in a prior thread.

Like I said, it sounds like APUG is a good, digital-free place. And most of the people there are good folks. But jeez, filtering digital out of this forum would be like tossing 50% of the value away. Seriously.

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 16:23
See this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=158143) for info on filtering your view.

Frank Petronio
13-May-2006, 16:26
I think it was more about the prior thread where some asked about Littmann and I told them about Dean Jones and it all went downhill from there.

I do miss it but I'm not about to grovel before Bob Atkins, Sean Ried, or Rob Galbraith. I'm a man... and I forgot to mention that Tom, Ralph, QT, and Ted look very handsome today.

Ralph Barker
13-May-2006, 16:31
... and I forgot to mention that Tom, Ralph, QT, and Ted look very handsome today.

lol

David Luttmann
13-May-2006, 16:38
I wonder how well everyone would do with all things digital removed? Let's see....no scanning info......no inkjet, Lightjet....info. Your color work would be interesting from now on.

Instead of hiding digital posts.....maybe we could just hide silly ones.

Marko
13-May-2006, 16:40

Frank, I agree with you about the value, but when you think about it, Wayne's suggestion could be beneficial for both sides - they would get to ignore the digital topics, and we would get not to see their replies :D

Jan Brittenson
13-May-2006, 16:59
Telling me to leave is civility? Pointing out Franks intentional, flagrant violation of APUG rules and his subsequent ouster is uncivil?

I was told in no uncertain terms I should leave APUG shortly after it was started -- because people like me who like digital have no business there. I didn't post anything about digital, or digital photos, or even pretended like digital existed. I was told by a moderator to leave because I like digital, not for expressing a liking. That I like digital was likely inferred from posts elsewhere. I joined APUG because I also like film photography, B&W in particular. But that was seemingly irrelevant, the key in my case was that I didn't sufficiently dislike digital to be welcome.

tim atherton
13-May-2006, 17:03
phpBB has some kind of keyword gizmo - on the streetphoto lsit if you type Leica in your post it changes it the HEGR or if you use photo.net it says it says somethign rude - I forget what

If we had somethign like that on here it could be fun - someone types "leica" and it changes it to "funny little toy camera" etc...

Oren Grad
13-May-2006, 18:06
someone types "leica" and it changes it to "funny little toy camera" etc...

Tim, the way it's usually done is to substitute "banana"... ;)

Wayne
13-May-2006, 18:26
Personal attacks seem uncivil to me, yes.

I agree, and I did not attack Frank I merely returned his pointed sarcasm.

Wayne

Don Miller
13-May-2006, 20:00
I have a fully functional time machine that transports me back to 1909. Digital topics are never discussed. People are nicer, and nary a keyboard in sight.

As long as it transports you back as an educated white male, I'm sure it's wonderful.

paulr
13-May-2006, 22:28
a feature that makes every post with the key word 'digital' disappear would have a great advantage ... it would make this thread disappear too!

look for it under the 'recursive irony' menu.

Bob._3483
14-May-2006, 09:05
Frank got chucked off APUG because the digital pics were the final straw as far as Sean was concerned and because of Frank's reaction when it was pointed out to him that the digi-shots were not acceptable. Personally, I think it was an over-reaction and a slapped wrist would have been sufficient, but then, it's not my forum...

Jan: the thing about APUG is that all posts are archived and searchable. You were not told to leave by a moderator: one of the other members suggested that if you do not like analog then you should go elsewhere. That person's opinion carries no more weight than any other. Only Sean can ban you from the site, and I note that your membership there is still open. You can log back in at any time. If you prefer not to, then that is your decision, not Sean's.

As for the topic: I'm 100% traditional but still like to see what's happening in the rest of the photo world so being able to ignore "digital" is of no use to me....

Bob.

Wayne
15-May-2006, 13:47
I don't believe the name Old_School_Wayne is taken.

It is now.

Wayne

Brian Ellis
15-May-2006, 18:33
The same way I make all darkroom topics disappear - I don't go to the darkroom sub-forum. : - )

Turner Reich
8-Jul-2006, 18:30
Gee the apug people sound harsh. I finally found it and I don't think I'll join them, they sound like they eat meat for breakfast.

tr

Ralph Barker
8-Jul-2006, 18:32
Gee the apug people sound harsh. I finally found it and I don't think I'll join them, they sound like they eat meat for breakfast.

tr

Nah. It's a steady diet of digitographers. ;)

Capocheny
8-Jul-2006, 18:52

Clay,

Adapters are now available for use on modern computers that will achieve the same results as your time machine... without the calories! :)

Don,

"As long as it transports you back as an educated white male, I'm sure it's wonderful."

What the ??? :( Is this an "educated" comment from a white male?

Nice!

Cheers

Jack Flesher
10-Jul-2006, 07:02
Can I? eh?

Sure -- just subscribe to APUG :D

roteague
11-Jul-2006, 12:38
Sure -- just subscribe to APUG :D

Works for me!! :D

Jack Flesher
11-Jul-2006, 13:31
Works for me!! :D

Now that was a good one Rob!

LOLOLOLOL

Wayne
12-Jul-2006, 04:56
Did you clowns read the thread?

Wayne

robc
12-Jul-2006, 07:26
throw PC out of window

roteague
12-Jul-2006, 16:19
Did you clowns read the thread?

Wayne

It doesn't look like either the software supports that configuration. Given the nature of this forum, and the fact that digital is a part of photography (regardless, whether we like it or not), digital topics are something that would be extremely difficult to avoid. APUG does it because, APUG is geared towards traditional processes, and not because of superior software.

Frank Petronio
12-Jul-2006, 19:03
And they have a couple of ruthless assassins as informers... errr... members, working as the thought police.

Greg Miller
12-Jul-2006, 19:14
So Wayne, you find every post and every thread interesting except those that reference some digital topic? You don't care to filter out anything else - just digital topics?

Wayne
12-Jul-2006, 20:12
It doesn't look like either the software supports that configuration. Given the nature of this forum, and the fact that digital is a part of photography (regardless, whether we like it or not), digital topics are something that would be extremely difficult to avoid.

You can avoid the digital forums easily by not including them in your personalized, bookmarked search. That takes care of 98% of it.

Wayne

Wayne
12-Jul-2006, 20:18
So Wayne, you find every post and every thread interesting except those that reference some digital topic? You don't care to filter out anything else - just digital topics?

No Greg, I filter out several forums entirely (the lounge, the classifieds to name 2) not just the digital ones. Nobody cares if I do that though. Wouldnt it be funny if the people selling stuff got their noses out of joint just because I dont want to read ads?

Wayne

Capocheny
12-Jul-2006, 22:29
Wayne,

FWIW, I don't know why anyone would get their noses out of joint just because you don't read their ads. If they do... that's certainly their problem!

I think it's entirely within your rights whether you want to read them or not!

So, carry on! :)

Cheers

Greg Miller
13-Jul-2006, 04:19
No Greg, I filter out several forums entirely (the lounge, the classifieds to name 2) not just the digital ones. Nobody cares if I do that though. Wouldnt it be funny if the people selling stuff got their noses out of joint just because I dont want to read ads?

Wayne

OK - I apologize because I guess I missed the posts on how to filter out those other things. I also missed the the one about "how do I filter out topics I am not interested in". This one seemed special because it was specific to "digital" topics. If I didn't know better I could have thought this thread was just a troll...

When you go to the camera store do you complain to management that you have to walk by the digital cameras to get to the chemicals?

roteague
13-Jul-2006, 15:56
You can avoid the digital forums easily by not including them in your personalized, bookmarked search. That takes care of 98% of it.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I wasn't aware of that setting. The digital forums don't bother me much, but then most of my participation is on APUG.

Turner Reich
13-Jul-2006, 18:29
How much digital equipment is used in the manufacture of Analog film and paper? It's funny to sit and read about people who deny digital over analog while they are heavy into digital timers, darkroom, lightmeters, computers, densitometers, the list goes on and on, but oh it analog all the way. Want to take out all of the digital? Good luck. Isn't there a spin off digital site comming up on APUG? It's alllll about money. If there is money then there is digital or analog or digital analog or analog digital or what ever gets the money.

Sorry to hear about Frank's experience on APUG, do they treat everyone like that?

tr

Jorge Gasteazoro
13-Jul-2006, 19:10
Isn't there a spin off digital site comming up on APUG?
tr

No there is not, there is a gray area for people who insist on going to an all analog site to talk about digital. Sort of like people who go to a non smoking house and insist on smoking...

Wayne
13-Jul-2006, 21:05
OK - I apologize because I guess I missed the posts on how to filter out those other things. I also missed the the one about "how do I filter out topics I am not interested in". This one seemed special because it was specific to "digital" topics. If I didn't know better I could have thought this thread was just a troll...

When you go to the camera store do you complain to management that you have to walk by the digital cameras to get to the chemicals?

I propose a new forum, for guys who want to pick a fight with guys who dont want to read about digital imaging.

Wayne

Wayne
13-Jul-2006, 21:13
Thanks Wayne, I wasn't aware of that setting. The digital forums don't bother me much, but then most of my participation is on APUG.

Here is my search, for anyone who cares, that ignores digital forums and a couple others.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?&do=getnew&exclude=7,17,21,27&sortby=forum

Its all explained here

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=158143

Wayne