PDA

View Full Version : 3M Rapid Access Negative - Orthochromatic

notorius
31-Jul-2023, 08:48
I acquired in the title mentioned box of 13x18 film when getting my L138S. The aquistion was through another person, I had no opportunity to ask the former user. No info could be found when I tried to search on the web.
Could you, please, share any information regarding processing this type of film? I will begin with tests anyway but starting point would be apreciated.
The box has been opened, I can estimate by weighing there is still plenty of sheets left inside, the box is quite hefty...

Tin Can
31-Jul-2023, 10:44
No idea

but will be usable!

Jim C.
31-Jul-2023, 14:52
Closest I could find, and the specs match, is this -

https://www.gwjcompany.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2419

I'm curious, what is your L138S ?

notorius
31-Jul-2023, 22:25
Closest I could find, and the specs match, is this -

https://www.gwjcompany.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2419

I'm curious, what is your L138S ?
Thank you, Jim. This could be very close. I will aim to some POTA like development and see what it yields.
L138S = Durst Laborator 138S. Your suggestion with copy film does make sense, because there was copy accessories included when I bought it, i.e. Durst copy ligths and copy sheet holder.

Mark Sampson
1-Aug-2023, 12:52
'Rapid Access" is a term invented in the 1990s to describe a new generation of high-contrast graphic-arts films. They used different, faster-acting process chemicals and replaced the old familiar "Kodalith" type emulsions. So your idea of a low-contrast developer to test this film is probably a good one, if you want any gray tones at all. But let us know how it turns out>

Jim C.
1-Aug-2023, 14:28
Thanks for the clairifcation of 138S, I'm not familar with Durst model numbers.

If the film is viable, aside from trying it with a low contrast developer, you could use it
for printing masks ( ie: mask one area of the paper for exposure )

Jim C.

Larry Gebhardt
2-Aug-2023, 04:05
Dilute paper developer like dektol 1:50 might work will for masks. With the current ortho lith films the results are very similar to what I got with POTA for masking, and it’s much easier to use.