PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your chemicals? Here's what I do.

ASA1000
28-Jul-2023, 07:32
I buy Hypo from Cesco on eBay. It's labeled for Pool DeChlorination but it; ls also photo grade. Around $35 for 10pounds shipped free. Sodium Carbonate and metabisulfite come from Duda Energy also on e-bay $12 for 5 pounds of Carb and $8 for 5lbs of metabisulfite.
I get the 'exotics' like hydroQ and Metol, etc, from the Formulary.

I have two questions: 1) Can you do better? and 2) Where do you get your sodium sulfite? (there is a guy on eBay with sulfite, but his approval rating is 8%, so he's not the guy!) so I'm still buying that from the Formulary as well.

Thanks!

Michael R
28-Jul-2023, 07:56
I still get some things from Artcraft and occasionally Formulary. I used to also sometimes get things from Bostick and Sullivan.

These days, particularly for periodic experimenting/exotica I often deal with Alphachem (Mississauga, Canada) because I can basically get anything from them.

Relatively local to me there is also a small photo supplier called Argentix. Prices are very reasonable for photo/bulk chemicals, quality has been good and service is terrific. It's especially useful in a pinch because it shows up within a day of ordering without crazy shipping prices so that's a bonus.

I only use rapid fixers so pool de-chlorinator doesn't work for me.

I'm not interested in ebay etc. as I really have no way of knowing what the hell I'm getting.

paulbarden
28-Jul-2023, 08:12
ArtCraft for everything.

Axelwik
28-Jul-2023, 08:54
Some from Bostick & Sullivan because they're just up the road in Santa Fe, and the rest from Amazon, Formulary, and Artcraft.

JMO
28-Jul-2023, 09:39
If the maker of Kodak chems is now questionable for quality, I’m wondering if there are options for making one’s own equivalent of Kodak’s Rapid Selenium Toner? I know Ilford makes a selenium toner, but does anyone make their own?

Michael R
28-Jul-2023, 10:22
Kodak T-55 is the old/other way of making KRST. However it is not advisable. I mean really a bad idea. The modern way used in commercial preparations is to use sodium selenite, sodium sulfite and ammonium thiosulfate. Those are the ingredients in KRST, Ilford, Moersch etc. They all work the same way so there is no reason to try to make KRST at home (also you need a source for sodium selenite).

If the maker of Kodak chems is now questionable for quality, I’m wondering if there are options for making one’s own equivalent of Kodak’s Rapid Selenium Toner? I know Ilford makes a selenium toner, but does anyone make their own?

Alan9940
28-Jul-2023, 11:06
ArtCraft for everything.

Same here.

ASA1000
28-Jul-2023, 14:01
Thanks Michael
yes eBay is scary, but this stuff is professionally packaged and has been 100%.... so far ;-)

jimskelton
28-Jul-2023, 22:12
It can be a challenge to find chemicals in Canada, but FLICFILM (Longview Alberta) manufactures lots of photo chemicals and distributes them at The Camera Store in Calgary. They even make CD-3!

If anyone knows where to source ferric ammonium EDTA, that would be great.

jnantz
29-Jul-2023, 04:22
I use art craft for most things too, but carbonate I get at the grocery store, vit c at trader joes, coffee I got from a local supplier, and roast it myself

Tin Can
29-Jul-2023, 04:52
I buy by total cost which means including Tax and shipping

I buy a case of TF5 4 gallons from the maker, Photographers Formulary

Hard to beat B&H, they are very responsive

Rodinal from B&H

Ilford PQ for paper and old NOS plates and films B&H

xkaes
29-Jul-2023, 05:52
Check with your local college/university. The Chemistry/Medical/Biology/Physics departments will have a chemical disposal office/program that will probably give you chemicals for free. That saves them money -- disposal is expensive!!! You might have to sign a waiver, and they won't give you anything dangerous. Some containers might be open, but it's all top-notch stuff for research/education/projects.

Fred L
29-Jul-2023, 06:16
For platinum/kallitype processes, I buy from Bostick & Sullivan. Some chemistry from B&H and for hard to get items, I'll buy from Argentix (in Montreal). Jacques can get chemistry that I can't get from the US. Presuming he ships to an address/mail depot across the border, then makes the drive across to pick up.

Fungus
29-Jul-2023, 11:46
I buy Metol, hydroquinone, Kodalk, sodium sulfite, ammonium thiosulfate, etc., in bulk quantities from Photographers Formulary and mix my own. This way I’m not beholden to Kodak, Ilford, or anyone else.

My standard developer is D-23 and it’s dead easy to make as it has only two ingredients: Metol and sodium sulfite.

All you need is a scale accurate to 0.1g, graduated cylinders, and containers for mixing and storage. I also use a cheap magnetic stirrer I bought on Amazon for $29.

wooserco
29-Jul-2023, 15:59
Regarding the purity of pool de chlorinator: one of my customers is a pool chemical manufacturer.

While there one time, they were unloading a shipment. The bags labeled "Sodium Thiosulphate-Photographic Grade."

I'd have no issue buying pool chemicals after seeing that.

neil poulsen
29-Jul-2023, 19:00
I got about 10 bags of dektol and the same of D76 from FreeStyle quite a while ago. Seems to be good chemistry. I get Kodak rapid fixer from our local ProPhoto Supply in Portland. I print on Ilford Warmtone and don't tone.

Gord Robinson
29-Jul-2023, 23:08
It can be a challenge to find chemicals in Canada, but FLICFILM (Longview Alberta) manufactures lots of photo chemicals and distributes them at The Camera Store in Calgary. They even make CD-3!

Flic Film is distributing chemicals as well as film. From what i have heard they have been shipping up to 4,000 respooled 35mm film world wide daily. If you go to their web site they have a tab for where you can buy their products. I was in their camera store last week and they are shutting down the store front analog camera store to focus on film and chemicals but will still have a web site to purchase some cameras and accessories. Other than being a casual visitor to the store in the past i have no relationship to the venture.

https://flicfilm.ca/
https://filmexperiencecamerastore.com/

ASA1000
30-Jul-2023, 08:05
Regarding the purity of pool de chlorinator: one of my customers is a pool chemical manufacturer.

While there one time, they were unloading a shipment. The bags labeled "Sodium Thiosulphate-Photographic Grade."

I'd have no issue buying pool chemicals after seeing that.

Yes. I've been through 30 pounds of 'pool dechlorinator' and all is good. Silver and hypo tests are all good.

gypsydog
30-Jul-2023, 18:54
There is this bridge......

ASA1000
31-Jul-2023, 07:06
There is this bridge......

I know what you are eluding to with the bridge, but what are you saying? That I will buy anything? That internet chemicals are trash? Help me understand.

ASA1000
15-Aug-2023, 10:35
pool dechlorinator