PDA

View Full Version : Ilford Rapid Fix

Kevin Crisp
22-Jul-2023, 09:32
Maybe academic in light of the other thread about Sino Promise, but after my 3 bottles of Kodak Rapid Fix went bad in storage I tried the Ilford product.

I haven't run a controlled experiment, but it seems to me it removes the stubborn TMAX (and now Tri-X) magenta much faster than the Kodak product. Others have this experience?

With my two sheets at a time slosher this really speeds up work flow.

interneg
22-Jul-2023, 15:41
but it seems to me it removes the stubborn TMAX (and now Tri-X) magenta much faster than the Kodak product. Others have this experience?

The Ilford equivalent to Kodak Rapid Fix is Hypam - both are designed to be used with hardeners & are buffered to a lower ph than Ilford Rapid Fix. If you really want to see the dye come out, try C-41 fix (it's a near neutral pH) - the only reason to buffer to a lower pH is for hardener compatibility - and alkaline rapid fixes can smell unpleasantly of ammonia.

Mark Sampson
22-Jul-2023, 17:34
Not quite off-topic, but I found an excellent way to remove the TMX magenta stain; post-fixing, i ran the films through a 1% Kodak solution before washing.
I suppose that has been mentioned somewhere in the extensive literature about the issue, but I discovered that one all by myself. Of course I've never measured the pH of any of those solutions, so my results are anecdotal at best.

Kevin Crisp
22-Jul-2023, 19:03
Kodalk?

Mark Sampson
23-Jul-2023, 09:30
Yes, KodaLk. Spell-checker strikes again!

Vaidotas
23-Jul-2023, 09:46
Ilford Rapid fixer has limited shelf life when opened.
To my experience three months at 24’C is enough to make it bad.
This topic was discussed recently.

Tin Can
23-Jul-2023, 10:42
TF5

Test

it

interneg
23-Jul-2023, 11:01
TF5

Test

it

It's effectively the same as most C-41/ near neutral pH rapid fixes. A higher pH allows the gelatin to swell more, but you don't want to go too alkaline for various reasons (unpleasantly strong ammonia smell being one). You will need to get used to lurid purple/ pink fix if you use C-41 fix on BW films.

Ron Mowrey, who contributed to TF5, also formulated & published some much more aggressive fixers that will fix & clear in seconds (with potential for blistering if the emulsion is not well hardened).

Tin Can
23-Jul-2023, 12:01
My TF5

has no smell

and

lasts too long

Ron convinced me long ago

Michael R
23-Jul-2023, 14:23
That’s sounds about right. Ilford suggests 6 months but higher storage temperatures will tend to reduce the shelf life. You might consider a neutral or alkaline rapid fixer instead. All other things being equal these will keep longer. However some of them will cost you more so it might or might not be worth it.

Ilford Rapid fixer has limited shelf life when opened.
To my experience three months at 24’C is enough to make it bad.
This topic was discussed recently.

Drew Wiley
23-Jul-2023, 14:54
I get zero TMax residual stain after only about 5 min final wash. Perhaps that's because I routinely used TF4 alkaline fixer, and now TF5. But all along, TMax films have been the very easiest for me in terms of residual antihalation dye - never have had any of it!

jnantz
24-Jul-2023, 03:28
I haven't ever used the Ilford product but I had a short run with the kodak rapid fix ( not sure if it is set same as you were using Kevin, it was the liquid concentrate that came with an optional bottle of hardener that we never used ) since 1988-1990 when I worked for someone else, all she exposed and developed was tri x 5x7 sheet film, so it was before the magenta dye came into play ... but I have pretty much used sprint speed fixer, since the late 70s early 80s and don't use much else. I don't know how it compares to the Ilford product/s or the current line Sino promise fixer products but
used as directed, 2:8, sprint easily removes the stain from t/films and it has a high capacity. it has optional alum hardener you can put in there if needed which I have never really used. I used the TF fixers years back when
people started ranting, raving and foaming at the mouth about them, but they reeked so bad I had my waste-hauler remove it all un-used, I've never used a fixer that smelled so bad. To be honest, I don't even remember if it worked. I guess I'm pampered, sprint is a few miles down the road from me so I just keep it local, and keep things as simple as possible.
I also have a bag of thiosulfate rice but I'm saving that for the next lockdown. It doesn't reek either.

Tin Can
24-Jul-2023, 04:42
Did you actually mix and use Store bought TF5 FIVE and mix with real DISTILLED water?

It is only made by ONE maker

Photography Formulary on-line store

But B&J also sells it

No cost shipping if you spend $50

I haven't ever used the Ilford product but I had a short run with the kodak rapid fix ( not sure if it is set same as you were using Kevin, it was the liquid concentrate that came with an optional bottle of hardener that we never used ) since 1988-1990 when I worked for someone else, all she exposed and developed was tri x 5x7 sheet film, so it was before the magenta dye came into play ... but I have pretty much used sprint speed fixer, since the late 70s early 80s and don't use much else. I don't know how it compares to the Ilford product/s or the current line Sino promise fixer products but
used as directed, 2:8, sprint easily removes the stain from t/films and it has a high capacity. it has optional alum hardener you can put in there if needed which I have never really used. I used the TF fixers years back when
people started ranting, raving and foaming at the mouth about them, but they reeked so bad I had my waste-hauler remove it all un-used, I've never used a fixer that smelled so bad. To be honest, I don't even remember if it worked. I guess I'm pampered, sprint is a few miles down the road from me so I just keep it local, and keep things as simple as possible.
I also have a bag of thiosulfate rice but I'm saving that for the next lockdown. It doesn't reek either.

Michael R
24-Jul-2023, 04:45
Sprint is good.

jnantz
24-Jul-2023, 05:10
Did you actually mix and use Store bought TF5 FIVE and mix with real DISTILLED water?

It is only made by ONE maker

Photography Formulary on-line store

But B&J also sells it

No cost shipping if you spend $50

yes "real" distilled water, purchased directly from the formulary reeked like nothing I have ever used before, I will never use it again. complete waste for me, im glad it works for you.