PDA

View Full Version : Favicon still not recognized in Safari

Ken Lee
13-May-2006, 08:28
With all respect and appreciation: Is it too much to ask, that you also place a favicon.ico in the root directory ?

I like our favicon. I asked about favicons before, and my inquiry resulted in a contest, the winner of which is our lovely image.

I'd like to see the favicon in Safari, which is not a pefect browser, but a nice one. :o

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 08:31
I will see if the page headers can be customized to use the more modern implementaion. I'll wait until after the dust settles a bit, firsst.

Ken Lee
13-May-2006, 08:40
I'm not an expert, but on my humble site, there is no reference to the favicon.ico in any of the HTML, on any pages.

It's mere presence in the root directory guarantees that browsers discover it and render it appropriately.

Perhaps PHP is different ?

fred arnold
13-May-2006, 08:44
I'm running Safari on 10.4.5 and 10.4.6, and seeing the favicon (camera on a tripod with red belows, right). What version of Safari and OS-X are you running?

Ken Lee
13-May-2006, 08:50
I am running OSX 10.4.6 and Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3).

I frequently get all the updates from Apple, so all my software is up-to-date.

Am I the only one who can't see the favicon ?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
13-May-2006, 09:35
I can't see it either (same OS and Safari as Ken). As a matter of fact, I didn't even know it existed...

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 09:39
Didn't someone mention before that we should convert the image from PNG to ICO format? Perhaps that's the problem.

bruce terry
13-May-2006, 10:05
I am running OSX 10.4.6 and Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3).

I frequently get all the updates from Apple, so all my software is up-to-date.

Am I the only one who can't see the favicon ?

Ken - ditto to your specs on osx/safari, I get the red camera/tripod.

Ken Lee
13-May-2006, 11:58
As far as I know, the standard is .ico

Here is a web site that allows you to instantly generate a favicon.ico from any file you want, for free. It's trivial.

See http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon

Ken Lee
13-May-2006, 12:09
PROBLEM SOLVED

I went to Applications/Safari/Icons and deleted all the sub-folders. Now, when I visit this site, I see the favicon, as it is.

Many thanks !!!

Rory_5244
14-May-2006, 20:14
Oh ho...

robc
15-May-2006, 11:31
Didn't someone mention before that we should convert the image from PNG to ICO format? Perhaps that's the problem.

best to create a png version, an ico version and a gif version and then if people can't see it you know that its nothing you have done.

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

the above link gets you a free and very good ICO PS plugin from which you can create the .ico version and maybe .png versions as well.