PDA

View Full Version : Navigation: "Home Page" versus the forum itself

Frank Petronio
13-May-2006, 07:37
Don't you need a more prominent link back to the parent website, http://www.largeformatphotography.info?

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 07:46
I was puzzling out where to put it a few days ago, but forgot. Any ideas?

Jack Flesher
13-May-2006, 07:48
How about under the quick-links menu?

Ralph Barker
13-May-2006, 07:49
I'd add it to the Quick Links drop-down.

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 07:49
I just added a new menu item next to Quick Links. That work OK?

Jack Flesher
13-May-2006, 07:51
I just added a new menu item next to Quick Links. That work OK?

Yeah -- but you might want to make it open in a new page...

Jack Flesher
13-May-2006, 07:52
And maybe move it to the far left of the menu bar.

Frank Petronio
13-May-2006, 07:55
I think it deserves to be up on top.

Another thing, my son participates in paintball forums and they have a newbies area with stickies that point to basic, frequently asked repetitive questions. Something like that would be appropriate here because people still haven't learned how to use the search function.

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 07:56
How's that?

And maybe move it to the far left of the menu bar.

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 07:57
We had intended the News area for that. Feel free to suggest articles we should include (like search).

Another thing, my son participates in paintball forums and they have a newbies area with stickies that point to basic, frequently asked repetitive questions. Something like that would be appropriate here because people still haven't learned how to use the search function.

Frank Petronio
13-May-2006, 08:06
Yes, but if you are someone just getting started, you might fall into a thread on this forum straight from Google, so even a mini-banner or a tab coming off the header for "Getting Started in LF" would be a great little side project for someone to create...

See, I like to direct, not do...

Jack Flesher
13-May-2006, 08:08
How's that?

Close enough.

;),

Ken Lee
13-May-2006, 08:24
The nav-bar item called Home Page doesn't bring you back to the home page of this forum: it brings you to the home page of Large Format Info - which I find confusing and inconvenient. Perhaps there is another way to handle this navigation issue.

Frank Petronio
13-May-2006, 08:29
I agree but don't know what to do...

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 08:30
Well, for historical reasons the "Home Page" is the top level page of the site, so it can be a bit confusing. I could change it to "LF Home Page"??

Ralph Barker
13-May-2006, 08:35
Or, perhaps "LF Site Home" ?

Ken Lee
13-May-2006, 08:45
Another thought would be to add "tool-tips" to those selections, so that merely passing the mouse over them would give some additional info. (Of course, I don't know if that feature is even supported in the web-hosting software).

For example, I had to click on the "unified view" menu item, to figure out what the heck that meant. It was a disappointment, since as a student of eastern philosophy, I was hoping it was the same thing that the customer asked the hot-dog vendor: "Make me one with everything".

As we all know, some things that appear obvious to engineers, are obscure to users.

Frank Petronio
13-May-2006, 08:48
IMHO, less drop-downs, rollovers, and scripts... use more obvious well written text

Oren Grad
13-May-2006, 12:46
The "Home Page" label is a bit confusing - sounds like it should be the home page for the forum. Maybe relabel it as something like "LF Info Home"?

Paul Coppin
13-May-2006, 13:15
I just discovered that if I click on the Banner title, it resets the index page to the forum... How about this: Change the Title to "Large Format Photography.info", and set the url to www.largeformatphotography.info, and set the "Home Page" button in the forum toolbar to the the forum index page. That way, if you want to go the the main site, you just click on the title, if you need to reset the forum index page you hit the home button for that. Makes it a little more consistent with other Vbulletin forum layouts...

Paul Coppin
13-May-2006, 14:07
Just to obfusticate, I checked a couple of the other boards I frequent - Since we've entered the cyber age, it should be noted that in proper geek-speak we no longer have a "forum", but a "board", comprised of forums (fora, fori?)... Where LFPF has "Home Page" in the nav-bar, others have "Forums", which takes the user back to the index page, partly to eliminate confusion with home pages.