PDA

View Full Version : Love note to Admin + tip about header

Frank Petronio
13-May-2006, 07:06
Hey, where is my avatar? it ain't showing yet I have it in default mode. I like those things...

Tom Westbrook
13-May-2006, 07:08
Avatars are off for now. It's interesting it let you define one, though. We'll restrict to a photo in your user pages, though, I think we need to upsize that a bit to something reasonable.

Ralph Barker
13-May-2006, 07:09
IIRC, we have avatars turned off initially. We may revisit that decision in the future, however.

Warren Weckesser
13-May-2006, 07:27
IIRC, we have avatars turned off initially. We may revisit that decision in the future, however.
My vote: leave them turned off. I've seen some forums where there is so much clutter associated with *each* post (avatars, sigs, buttons, post counts, membership status, poster's location, poster's favorite color, etc) that a simple "Thank you" followed by a "You're welcome" results in a full web page.

Ken C
18-May-2006, 06:21
My vote: leave them turned off. I've seen some forums where there is so much clutter associated with *each* post (avatars, sigs, buttons, post counts, membership status, poster's location, poster's favorite color, etc) that a simple "Thank you" followed by a "You're welcome" results in a full web page.

<curmudgeonly gripe>
Yes, please turn (or leave) off everything flashy. This new layout is way too busy. I read these forums for the content and it's now harder to read than it was before.
</curmudgeonly gripe>

Frank Petronio
18-May-2006, 06:29
Ahh, they've decided no going back to the lovely clean old forum so why not embrace the future? It'll keep the Alzheimers at bay to learn new things.

(That and the Scotch lubrication/crainial rinsing are my preventitive measures)

Ralph Barker
18-May-2006, 06:30
Ken - you might try the "almost no images" style/view. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the style box on the left, and change from the default. Also, Tom said he'd be working on different "skins" for people to use. Although I'm hoping for a paisley, "psycho-delic" one to take me back to the '60s, I'm confident that at least one of them will be very minimalistic.

Frank Petronio
18-May-2006, 07:00
Hey Ralph, what about that header jpg shifting the CCCCCC hex color? (make it a gif and force it to be cccccc) Just being anal...

robc
18-May-2006, 07:10
I reckon your avatar is a bit big frank. If they do get switched on then 50x50 or 64x64 should be big enough otherwise download of any thread uses a huge amount of bandwith.

just realised those are profile images and not avatars

Rainer
18-May-2006, 07:44
"My vote: leave them turned off"
me too, PLEASE!

"This new layout is way too busy. I read these forums for the content and it's now harder to read than it was before"
all-too-true!

"... Scotch lubrication/crainial rinsing ..."
in broad daylight? ;-)

Brian Vuillemenot
18-May-2006, 09:14
Another vote for no avatars- sorry Frank- maybe you could put your avatar in your public profile, in case anyone has an urgent desire to see it...

Ken C
18-May-2006, 10:47
"almost no images" style/view.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that now. "Almost no difference" <grin>.

Never mind, I'm keeping an open mind and I'm sure I'll get used to it in a few years <<grin>>.

Bob Gentile
18-May-2006, 12:08
One more vote for no avatars

tim atherton
18-May-2006, 13:05
hey - avatars are fun - have at em!

one vote for

Dan V
18-May-2006, 17:30
<curmudgeonly gripe>
Yes, please turn (or leave) off everything flashy. This new layout is way too busy. I read these forums for the content and it's now harder to read than it was before.
</curmudgeonly gripe>

Ditto

Frank Petronio
18-May-2006, 17:33
Ahh, I thought you guys were creative?

jnantz
18-May-2006, 21:14
i don't mind avatars ... another vote for'em

harder to read the content and pages being too busy ?

guess you have never logged on with "net - zero" before :)

Sal Santamaura
19-May-2006, 07:59
As much as possible, please avoid compounding the way this commercial software clutters up content with distractions. In other words, no avatars please, and turn off everything else vBulletin gives you the ability to.

Ah, it was such an elegant forum we had...

Ralph Barker
19-May-2006, 08:25
Sal - Tom is looking at other "skins" that could provide a more "minimalist" view. Stay tuned.

darr
19-May-2006, 14:36
hey - avatars are fun - have at em!

one vote for

I second the creativeness of it all.

Tom Westbrook
19-May-2006, 14:55
Some info to fuel the debate: Choosing to see or not to see avatars is selectable by individual users. The setting is in your User CP under Edit Options. It is OFF (you won't see them) by default for existing and new users. Any user can turn it on and 62 have done so so far, though there's nothing to see.

robc
19-May-2006, 16:23
go on ... turn em on. Its not compulsory to view them and those that like them can have a little fun...