PDA

View Full Version : I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Color and Cielo
7-Jul-2023, 23:11
I got a Kodak Ektar 203mm f/7.7 lens mounted on a Sychro-Compur #1 labeled Graphic. I like it because it has more character than modern lenses and is easier to handle than vintage lenses, but I don't know what size filter will fit this lens. The same lens I see often on Ebay today will fit Kodak series filters, but this seems to have a different thread. The unique number on the lens is marked OY, so this was probably the last production lens shipped in 1960. I initially assumed this was a 37mm, but it could not be mounted, then I tried a Kenko 36.5mm, which also could not be mounted. I have asked people who are familiar with filter calibers in Europe and the U.S., but to no avail. At one point I considered having S.K. Grimes in Rhode Island make a conversion adapter to 52mm. However, airfares from Japan are too expensive these days, and I have decided not to pursue this plan. I imagine that perhaps this has an unusual thread, but I would appreciate it if someone with more knowledge could enlighten me. I do a lot of outdoor shooting and I don't want to inadvertently damage the lens.

MartyNL
8-Jul-2023, 01:02
Hello, my Ektar 203mm is in a different mount and takes a 2 part slip-on filter that accepts different glass.

There are 2 older threads that I hope will help:
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?69315-Filter-size-for-threaded-Ektar-203mm-lens

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?100145-Ektar-203-filter-thread-size

However, I hope someone here can tell/confirm the answer for your exact set-up, if you can't find it above.

rfesk
8-Jul-2023, 04:53
I made my own adapter for my Kodak 203mm lens

1) Measured the outside diameter of the lens.
2) Purchased an appropriate Kodak slip-on adapter ring to series filters. (In my case it was a 1 15/32" to series VI slip-on adapter.)
3) Measured the inside diameter of this slip-on adapter (in my case it was 44mm.)
4) Purchased a 43mm to 67mm filter step up ring.
5) Epoxied the step up ring into the Kodak slip-on adapter ring.

Cheap, elegant and it works

Steve Goldstein
8-Jul-2023, 04:59
I made my own adapter for my Kodak 203mm lens

1) Measured the outside diameter of the lens.
2) Purchased an appropriate Kodak slip-on adapter ring to series filters. (In my case it was a 15/32" to series VI slip-on adapter.)
3) Measured the inside diameter of this slip-on adapter (in my case it was 44mm.)
4) Purchased a 43mm to 67mm filter step up ring.
5) Epoxied the step up ring into the Kodak slip-on adapter ring.

Cheap, elegant and it works

15/32 seems small. Did you omit the inches and write just the fractional part?

rfesk
8-Jul-2023, 08:40
I wasn't thinking. It is marked 1 15/32 also 37mm. I have edited my post.

Those dimensions are for my lens which is of European origin. The original poster's may have different dimensions.

The method of making the filter adapter remains the same.

peter brooks
8-Jul-2023, 10:41
Some of the 203mm f7.7 Ektars made here in the UK say 'Mount 370' on the beauty ring. I would imagine that this refers to the filter size.

I have several 'Mount 370' push-on filters and a push-on hood for my 203mm, all use a simple method of clamping (the rim is split, making a primitive spring / clamp), and are not threaded. They are stackable.

I also have the red filter shown which marked Size 370 "Kodak" Red Filter Made in England. This has a solid rim, no thread, and appears to be a drop-in filter that would require some kind of retaining ring (like Hasselblad ones).

Conrad . Marvin
8-Jul-2023, 18:44
I have a similar lens. Mine is from 1961 with the same type of shutter. I found an adapter ring made by Kodak which fits fine and gives you a series 6 thread. It’s a number 27 adapter ring made by Kodak. I will measure the threads and get back to you later or tomorrow. By the way, the threads will be some inch number as the lens and adapter were both manufactured in the US. Hope that this helps.

Color and Cielo
8-Jul-2023, 22:27
thank you! I also referenced these threads. However these are a bit small for my Ektar and don't seem to work.

Color and Cielo
8-Jul-2023, 22:29
Such a challenging spirit is wonderful. It's great to create something instead of an off-the-shelf product. Given the true purpose of the filter, this may be the most rational method.

Color and Cielo
8-Jul-2023, 22:32
Is the Size 370 "Kodak" Red Filter still available? Is it listed on Ebay or something?

Color and Cielo
8-Jul-2023, 22:35
Thanks for the detailed explanation. If possible, it would be helpful if you could post the image as well. Also, I am unfamiliar with inch notation, so I would appreciate it if you could post it in detail. (I learned inches instead of mm when I started working with older lenses)

peter brooks
9-Jul-2023, 01:05
Is the Size 370 "Kodak" Red Filter still available? Is it listed on Ebay or something?

Sorry, it's not for sale, I showed the photo as examples of the various types.

Doremus Scudder
9-Jul-2023, 10:16
Here's a link to the slip-on adapter you need. https://www.ebay.com/itm/401750468950
This one's on eBay, but there are others out there too. Just Google "Kodak 33mm slip-on adapter 1 5/16" and you'll come up with several.

I found a Series VI to 52mm stepping ring for my adapter so I can use 52mm screw-in filters. Works like a charm.

Doremus

Conrad . Marvin
9-Jul-2023, 11:20
The lens that I have that looks just like yours (not the mount 370 made in UK) has the serial number starting with OC making it from 1961 uses the Kodak screw in adapter #27. The threads on the adapter measure 1.430” (36.32 mm) x 36 threads per inch (.7mm).
The threads in the front of the lens measure 1.405”(35.69mm)
By the way, if you find or have an Ektar that is 127mm f4.7 with the same shutter type it will probably use the same front filter adapter, either screw in or slip on.
Have fun!

Conrad . Marvin
9-Jul-2023, 12:43

Color and Cielo
9-Jul-2023, 17:42
Conrad, oh my, it was an inch screw so I couldn't attach a Kenko 36.5mm filter! For the same reason, it is impossible to attach a 35.5mm filter to this lens, right? That's why I should look for "Kodak screw in adapter #27" am I understanding this correctly so far?? I eventually want to put on a UV filter, but it's a (Kodak screw in adapter #27) adapter and I have to buy the filter separately, right? Forgive my impertinent question.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%83%AB%E3%83%9F-103251-MARUMI-UV%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%83%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC-UV35-5mm/dp/B00BXZIM74/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&crid=1JOCMC1QUUM4E&keywords=%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%83%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%2B35.5mm&qid=1688949218&sprefix=%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%83%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%2B35%2B5mm%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-1&th=1

Color and Cielo
9-Jul-2023, 17:46
Doremus, this looks like a great adapter, will I be able to fit this on my Ektar? My lens seems to have a front thread of about 36mm. If I can get this to fit, I will be able to use my large stockpile of Nikon 52mm filters!

Conrad . Marvin
10-Jul-2023, 05:42
Whether you get the threaded #27 adapter ring or the slip on adapter, you will still need a step ring to end up with your 52mm or whatever size filter you want. Either way the rings are not costly and can be found in good condition.

Doremus Scudder
10-Jul-2023, 11:28
Doremus, this looks like a great adapter, will I be able to fit this on my Ektar? My lens seems to have a front thread of about 36mm. If I can get this to fit, I will be able to use my large stockpile of Nikon 52mm filters!

The info I have is for the U.S. version of the Ektar. The outside dimensions of the outer ring of the front element are given as 1 5/16 inches or 33mm. If yours is different than that (and likely is, since you say the filter threads are about 36mm), then you'll have to find a different adapter. There are likely push-on adapters for your lens as well, or you could have one made.

Ideally, you could find, or have made, a step-up ring from whatever front mounting threads your lens has to a convenient filter size (I like 52mm for my smaller lenses, so they're all adapted to that size). That is, of course, if there are actually mounting threads for a filter or filter adapter on your lens. The U.S. version does not have any, hence the need for the push-on adapter.

Whatever the case, as Conrad . Marvin points out, if you find original adapters for your lens, they will be to a then-common series filter size (VI most likely). You'll have to adapt from this to 52mm to use your stockpile of Nikon filters. Or, you can have someone like S.K. Grimes here in the states make you a custom adapter directly to 52mm. This, however, would likely be more costly.

I'm not really that familiar with the U.K. version of the lens and the possibilities for adapting to filters. Perhaps you could contact Ian Grant, who posts regularly on this forum and over at Photrio by P.M. He is quite knowledgeable about photo equipment marketed solely in the U.K. and would most likely have a definitive answer for you.

Best,

Doremus

Havoc
10-Jul-2023, 11:37
It isn't enough to have the diameter, you also need to know the pitch.

rfesk
10-Jul-2023, 13:55
The OUTSIDE diameter if my UK version is 37mm. My Kodak slip-on adapter is 1 15/32 inches equal to 37mm. This adapter is designed to use Series 6 filters..
As posted earlier in this thread --I epoxied a filter step up ring to this adapter to use 67mm filters. I could have just as easily made it to use 52mm filters.

There are inside threads on the lens but they seem to be for threading the lens element in the lens - not to screw in filters. There are not enough threads available.

Color and Cielo
10-Jul-2023, 17:39
Sorry for asking you so many times. I'm going to try looking for Kodak screw in adapter #27 first, but it says that it can be used with a type IV filter.Is there a standard called "IV"? (I remember about 30 years ago, but was it the same filter as the Leica Summilux 35mm f1.4 lens?) Then, should I look for an IV-52mm adapter and get it? Please excuse my ignorance. And thank you again for all the responses!

Dugan
10-Jul-2023, 17:53
Hello, Color and Cielo,
It is my understanding that the interior threads of Kodak and Wollensak lens barrels from that era are NOT intended for filters...the threads are non-standard, and only serve to hold the lens element retaining and trim rings.
Slip-on Series adapters as mentioned above are the most practical way of attaching filters to those lenses.

Color and Cielo
10-Jul-2023, 18:25
Dugan, so,,, this Kodak screw in adapter #27 does not work on the inner thread, but on the barrel (outside) of the lens? So how does it attach to the lens? Does #27 have a structure that can be screwed in and tightened? Also, does that #27 have IV filter threads? Thank you for your detailed explanation every time.

Conrad . Marvin
10-Jul-2023, 19:58
Please post a photo for Color and Cielo of one of these lenses in a Flash Supermatic shutter so that lens can be seen not to have filter threads. The ones in a Graphic or similar shutter or a UK 370 model have a mount with filter threads and can be changed easily to a “modern” shutter.

Dugan
10-Jul-2023, 20:03
I do not have a copy of the lens in question, but here are some photos of how a Series Filter setup works for lenses with no filter threads:

Color and Cielo
11-Jul-2023, 17:36
thank you Conrad and Dugan. It's more complicated than I imagined. It looks surprisingly heavy. Those gadgets and colors reminded me of when my uncle used to take apart and clean the carburetors of Honda motorcycles! Thank you for all your hard work. But well, what can I say, isn't there a way to attach the filter a little more easily? I want to use a 49 or 52mm filter via an adapter when shooting outdoors.

BrianShaw
11-Jul-2023, 18:21
thank you Conrad and Dugan. It's more complicated than I imagined. It looks surprisingly heavy. Those gadgets and colors reminded me of when my uncle used to take apart and clean the carburetors of Honda motorcycles! Thank you for all your hard work. But well, what can I say, isn't there a way to attach the filter a little more easily? I want to use a 49 or 52mm filter via an adapter when shooting outdoors.

It’s only complicated if… you need to use modern filters on a vintage lens that wasn’t designed for modern filters, Except if the lens accommodates either Series VII or VIII adapter ring. Series VII adapters will accept a 49mm filter and Series VIII will accept 67mm filters directly, in lieu of the adapter ring.

If you want basic contrast filters, then using the filter solution contemporary to your lens is easy. Being in Japan might make it a unique challenge but in the US it’s easy to buy all of that here. I use Series adapters and filters on several cameras; it’s very straightforward.

Honestly, in your situation it might be more efficient to attract the filter (and a shade) with a low-tack tape.

Color and Cielo
12-Jul-2023, 01:39
Hi Brian, thanks for the candid views and explanations! Ha, in fact, I strongly feel that your opinion is correct. Even though they are all available on eBay, it's hard to find vintage lens accessories here. I finally understood the filter structure of this lens this time. The 7 1/2 lens attached to the Betax shutter was easy to attach to the 52mm, so I misunderstood that the Kodak lens was also easy to put on and take off the filter. I'm thinking of making my own adapter using the tools I have now. But well, I'd like to implement your (and every one!) advice, so if possible could you please tell me again what Kodak adapters I should look for. (By the way, is the IV filter the same standard as the Leica filter that appeared later?) In other words, what and how should I look for a 52mm or 49mm filter adapter? They don't seem that expensive, but I don't want to stock up on my drawers with any more useless inventory! Thank you again.

BrianShaw
12-Jul-2023, 02:55
Hi Brian, thanks for the candid views and explanations! Ha, in fact, I strongly feel that your opinion is correct. Even though they are all available on eBay, it's hard to find vintage lens accessories here. I finally understood the filter structure of this lens this time. The 7 1/2 lens attached to the Betax shutter was easy to attach to the 52mm, so I misunderstood that the Kodak lens was also easy to put on and take off the filter. I'm thinking of making my own adapter using the tools I have now. But well, I'd like to implement your (and every one!) advice, so if possible could you please tell me again what Kodak adapters I should look for. (By the way, is the IV filter the same standard as the Leica filter that appeared later?) In other words, what and how should I look for a 52mm or 49mm filter adapter? They don't seem that expensive, but I don't want to stock up on my drawers with any more useless inventory! Thank you again.

Probably the easiest and most efficient way you can solve this problem is to let a real expert help you. That way you’ll get the right parts the first time. Check out www.FilterFind.net to see what’s available and prices. Look mostly at the Series VI (6) for your lens. Then send Tim an email with description of your lens and the pic of calipers on the outside of the lens cell. Ask him to put together a filter kit for you. Minimal would be an adapter, retaining ring, shade, yellow and red filter. If you see other filters you might want buy them now! Also tell him that you’d like to use 49 or 52mm standard filters as he might know a step-up ring solution that I don’t. He’s a very good guy to do business with. I don’t know if he ships internationally or not. Postage might be expensive but it only hurts once and is quickly forgotten if you get what you really need.

That is how I deal with the vintage lenses that I use and it works well. Not fact and lacks the flexibility of modern sized filters but I find more often than not that my real needs tend to be very basic. You might be similar… or not. :)

Can’t answer the question about Leica.

Color and Cielo
12-Jul-2023, 18:19
Thank you Brian. I am glad that you have taught me how to handle vintage lenses. Oh my gosh! Mr Tim! Actually, I asked him a few months ago. It was an introduction from an American friend. He was very kind, but at the time I didn't understand the structure of Ektar, so I couldn't get good instructions from him. Also, unfortunately, he was told that it could not be shipped overseas. But I will try to negotiate with him again. Thank you for all the tips you've provided so far!

BrianShaw
13-Jul-2023, 07:51
Here's what you need for a basic B&W set-up:

A Series VI adapter. Per your measurement and according to the earlier threads it is a 1-1/2 inch 38mm slip on (1-1/2 38 SO) adapter that you need. Some hand-fitting might be required. Kodak instructions were to carefully adjust the fingers on the adapter to each specific lens. Plus/minus .5mm was specified but more than that is possible if done carefully:
https://www.filterfind.net/series_6_A.html

A set of B&W contrast filters. Any choices from the yellow, orange, red, and green listings. I have a "thing" for the Kodak filters but have Tiffens that are newer and just as good.:
https://www.filterfind.net/Series_6.html

A lens shade (scroll down past the adapters). I prefer the deeper shades than the shallower shades, like those identified as A, F or G... but have at least one shallow in case vignetting ever seems likely. And while you're there, look at the "Kodak collectible bakelite plastic filter storage" section and consider how you want to store your filters. There are several vintage options available to consider. I find these options easier for smaller size filters than filter wallets, which I like for 49mm and above glass filters.
https://www.filterfind.net/series_6_A.html

... and order per Tim's ordering procedure, but don't hesitate to ask him for opinion on other options. He has a lot of stock and knows his business well. I see that he does offer international shipping and I'm sure he is correct that it is rather expensive... so buy consider buying everything you might possibly need/want in a one-stop-shopping convenience situation. While buying pieces and parts from various ebay seller is quite possible, this is a much more convenient way.
https://www.filterfind.net/Ordering.html

Good luck and enjoy the camera/lens!

Color and Cielo
13-Jul-2023, 19:53
I am lucky to have many tips. I will read these ideas carefully. Brian, I appreciate your efforts!

Jim Andrada
21-Jul-2023, 16:48
I can't really add to what others have said but this thread is making me hungry for Nagoya-style eel - the best!!!

I have this lens in Flash Supermatic shutter and it's one of my favorites. I don't do much with filters though.

My wife is from Nagoya and we have friends there so if there's some small thing like an adapter ring that they won''t ship to Japan you could have it sent to me and we could forward it to you or one of our friends for you to pick up.

Color and Cielo
21-Jul-2023, 17:18
Hi Jim, It’s a small world,,, I am happy to share local food stories in this prestigious LF space. Also, I feel sorry for writing such a topic. Thank you! Thank you for your kindness. I am happy to be connected to everyone in the world through LF!!

Color and Cielo
30-Jul-2023, 01:01
I read your kind advice carefully. However, getting the best out of Kodak's filter system was a challenge in my area. I took a careful look inside the LF thread and found that a 36mm filter could barely fit on this lens. I ended up buying a 36-46mm plastic adapter on eBay. It was firmly and securely attached to the thread! It felt like it would work fine with a 46mm filter, but I use a larger 46-52mm adapter with this lens. Anyway, thank you very much to all of you.

Doremus Scudder
30-Jul-2023, 09:04
C&C,

You solution looks great! Now you can use all the diversity in 52mm filters. Have fun, this is a great lens.

Doremus

BrianShaw
30-Jul-2023, 14:56
Nice solution!

Color and Cielo
30-Jul-2023, 18:19
Thank you Doremus, I wanted to adopt the orthodox method but was frustrated. But I seem to have taken the opportunity to get to know the vintage lenses of the past in depth. This lens gives me more than double the enjoyment for less than half the price of the Dagor!

Color and Cielo
30-Jul-2023, 18:23
Hi Brian, At first I was a little disappointed to learn that the adapter is made of resin, but then I realized again that it can be used without damaging the Ektar threads. In any case, these adapters may be expected to have the effect of lens shading. Anyway, thanks for the advice.