PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to put the pressure on (a view camera film holder)

Alan Townsend
6-Jul-2023, 13:14
One thing I've always disliked about the 4x5 view cameras I've used is the way I have to wrestle with the film holder pressure springs. I often disturb the pointing of the camera or the rear tilt. Is there a better way to do this than the bail handles many view cameras use? I use only double-sided sheet film holders, don't need to accommodate thick roll film holders or septum packs. Larger view cameras that don't need to work with much thicker film gadgets probably have it better, or maybe worse due to stronger springs?

I'm building a 4x5 camera and would like to improve this detail if possible. Some of my film holders may be warped in the future, so I would like a strong force, but am thinking about using a plate with two wing nuts instead of springs. I've seen pictures of some pinhole cameras using magnets, but don't like that. I'm thinking about making my ground glass holder the same thickness as film holders and just replacing it with the film holder. I can make a little film holder pocket for the camera that would hold the ground glass frame as well.

Any suggestion welcome

Alan, who wants to put the pressure on without disturbing his blinking rear swings and tilts, Townsed

ic-racer
6-Jul-2023, 14:34
Some 2x3" film holders for my Horseman have grooves on the sides so that they are held in place by the sliding clips.

Tin Can
6-Jul-2023, 15:40
I use 2 cheap point and shoot 4x5 for people and zone focus like WeeGee

I also use flashbulbs

BUT I did need a better GG

so I cut oversize glass, hand ground it and glued wood strips on both sides so it was exactly like you describe

I need the best GG, so I make my own, poor vision

Mostly I set at 5 feet

Here is my old Chicago bar at 4 am

one and done, no tripod

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51246617432_8b68c24c02_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2m5uiXw)Turbo (https://flic.kr/p/2m5uiXw) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Greg
6-Jul-2023, 16:09
One thing I've always disliked about the 4x5 view cameras I've used is the way I have to wrestle with the film holder pressure springs. I often disturb the pointing of the camera or the rear tilt.

What brand of 4x5 view camera did you have problems with the back springs? Over the years I have shot thousands of sheets of 4x5 film using Sinars (Norma, X, and P), a Linhof Technika, Nikon Multiphot, and a Chamonix (for a short while). I have never had a problem with any of their backs. When I was a student at RIT in the mid 1970s I did have some problems with the backs of a Calumet and a Cambo, but both were in totally worn out condition.

Tin Can
6-Jul-2023, 16:24
I have a NOS black wood made in England KODAK 5x7 Police Special full movement

It HAD way too strong GG leaf springs

I removed one leaf each side

Works fine now

I also HAD a 5X7 SINAR P that bit my fingers every time

SOLD!

I have very quick reflexes

Tin Can
6-Jul-2023, 16:26
Bail backs for ALL cameras

Please

Neal Chaves
6-Jul-2023, 16:38
Bail backs for ALL cameras

Please

Bail backs are the way to go. I have found that the late production Toyo backs work best for me. The bail does not prevent the use of viewing aids and the back opens wide enough so the thick Toyo roll holders can be inserted and removed easily.

Mal Paso
7-Jul-2023, 19:47
Avoid any warped film holder, that's asking for trouble. Modern plastic holders like Riteway, Lisco, and Fidelity all have metal cores to prevent distortion. Too much film holder tension and you're likely to disturb the rear standard settings or even the camera.

Alan9940
7-Jul-2023, 20:42
I probably won't be able to describe this clearly, but what I do is use two fingers of my left hand to gently pull the spring back open while simultaneously pushing against the rear standard of the camera, then insert the holder part way. Then, I gently pull the left side open just a bit while sliding the film holder into place. Reverse this, of course, if you insert a holder from the left. Not as good as having an arm, but better than jamming the holder in IMO.

Alan Townsend
7-Jul-2023, 21:25
Greg, Tin Can, and others

My Speed Graphic with grafloc back is terrible to load, as is my Calumet CC401 with BAIL. Try using a 480 mm lens on a 4x5 view camera sometimes and see what happens when you load the film holder. On the Speed Graphic I use the sports finder to re-compose if the camera turns on me. I rarely use this as a camera, it is actually my enlarger. On the Calumet, the bail opens about two inches for the position that stays in place. That half inch holder film holder goes in, but then falls out or is mispositioned. It takes two hands; one on the bail and the other on the holder, so I need a third hand to keep the camera from rotating on the tripod. I don't see a way to adjust how far the jaws open.

Both of these cameras are very challenging to load without either disturbing the composition or carefully crafted rear swings and tilts. My film holders aren't warped, I was being sarcastic. Not sure how much force is needed to press in the holder. My camera back may be warped, so then the film holder might straighten it out.

I'm building a 4x5 camera, looking for ideas for a better way. I like the idea of using two wing nuts to put a light pressure on since I do not need to hold a variety of things. Only my cut film holders and my ground glass which is exactly the same size. I will only need a few turns on the wings nuts to load and lock. No sliding friction against the parts would also be good. I think the bail works good with wide angle lenses, but a no for the long lenses.

The wing nut would tighten a pair of dogs (woof woof) that would clamp down the holder in the middle on each side. Dogs are a type of clamp. I could cut down some aluminum angles to make the dogs the right thickness. I think that would be the lightest and simplest.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Havoc
8-Jul-2023, 04:21
I often have the sami issue with my Wista 45, when inserting a filmholder, the whole thing moves. A heavier bulkier tripod and head help but don't make this a combination I want to take out often.

I had never heard of or seen a bail back. But it looks like a good idea.