PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on the 8x10 Wista Field wooden camera

Paul Schilliger
7-Mar-2000, 12:32
What is your opinion on the Wista Field double extension 8x10 camera? Good enoug h for a complementary camera to a 4x5 set? Is the 500 mm bellows enough? Thanks!

Paul Schilliger
8-Mar-2000, 03:13
Thanks Dan. In fact, the bellows is 550 mm.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
8-Mar-2000, 11:22
Jacques Stackson, an occasional poster to this forum has one and likes it quite a bit. You might e-mail her direct.

Jacque Staskon
9-Mar-2000, 22:14
Since I see my name bandied about a bit, I thought I would contribute my two cents worth to the value of the Wista 8x10. I have named mine Wilma. She is a beautiful camera, the movements are right where I want them. She makes perfect sense to me. I only have two lenses, one 240 mm and a TR convertable. The camera does not have the bellows draw to use the TR at its most telephoto. That is fine with me, most of my work is close, or straight landscape. I have not had difficulty finding accessories for the 8x10. I carry a 4x5 reducing back 5 holders, polaroid back, two lenses, a miriad of things loupe,tape measure, sandwich, water etc. I tried using the recommended Deardorf and a Kodak but they seemed to clumsy and heavy for me. When I die my kids have told me they will bury me with Wilma. Thats fine with me, I'll take her with me into the next world. Feel free to e-mail me direct, I'll answer what I can j

Paul Schilliger
10-Mar-2000, 09:56
Jacque, thank you for responding "on the fly"! I rekon, your name is not easy to spell right! If I refer to Sean grammatical, you are one of those too rare woman large format photographer a contributor was recently seeking quite desperately! This adds strength to your comment on the Wi sta, I am not an athlete and I love to wander. In fact I saw one on the used market and wondered if I wou ld be happy with it. Now I think I would, except perhaps for the bellows extension somewhat limited. But as I said above, the camera would be a companion for my 4x5 and therefore should not be capable of handling all situations. I might ask you more specific questions. Thanks so far. Paul

Doremus Scudder
10-Mar-2000, 13:29
If you really like the Wista, you might consider a "can", or extended lensboard for longer lenses. I have fashioned one for my 4x5 Wista that works extremely well. This might give you enough flexibility to justify buying the camera. Regards, ;^D)

BOX72_com
4-Sep-2009, 07:41
Jacque where did you buy your Wista, I mean Wilma?

Since I see my name bandied about a bit, I thought I would contribute my two cents worth to the value of the Wista 8x10. I have named mine Wilma. She is a beautiful camera, the movements are right where I want them. She makes perfect sense to me. I only have two lenses, one 240 mm and a TR convertable. The camera does not have the bellows draw to use the TR at its most telephoto. That is fine with me, most of my work is close, or straight landscape. I have not had difficulty finding accessories for the 8x10. I carry a 4x5 reducing back 5 holders, polaroid back, two lenses, a miriad of things loupe,tape measure, sandwich, water etc. I tried using the recommended Deardorf and a Kodak but they seemed to clumsy and heavy for me. When I die my kids have told me they will bury me with Wilma. Thats fine with me, I'll take her with me into the next world. Feel free to e-mail me direct, I'll answer what I can j

Bob Salomon
4-Sep-2009, 08:03
Jacque where did you buy your Wista, I mean Wilma?

We have them in stock so, if you are in the USA, you can order it from any camera store that we deal with (about 900).

AJ Edmondson
4-Sep-2009, 08:18
I have a Wista 810DX which I have always been completely satisfied with... weight, rigidity and movements as well as speed of setup always met my needs. I use a 10" WF Ektar most of the time but have used 305 and 360mm lenses with no complaints. My most used for several months was a 210 Angulon but I decided to scale back to 4x5 after I retired and just haven't sold the camera because I have been so pleased with it!

prado333
4-Sep-2009, 08:33
from 210 to 360mm is an excellentet camera