PDA

View Full Version : Roman Loranc Story and Video

Eric Biggerstaff
12-May-2006, 12:18
Here is a link to a nice story and two videos on Roman Loranc that were shown in May . I have not been able to get the videos to run, can someone tell me if you are able to and if they are any good.

http://www.kqed.org/arts/people/profile.jsp?id=7081

I believe it was produced for a local public television show.

Thanks,

MIke Sherck
12-May-2006, 12:45
It runs for me, although slowly. The server doesn't seem to have much bandwidth. I'm using Windows XP, all service-packed up, Opera 8.5 for my web browser, and the files came up in Realplayer. Interesting to view if you can get them to come up: worth the effort, I think. I've admired Mr. Loranc's photography since "Two Hearted Oak" and the first article I saw on him in View Camera (I think that's where I saw it.) There was a more recent portfolio in Lenswork which I also enjoyed.

Eric Biggerstaff
12-May-2006, 13:15
Mike,

Thanks, good to know it is just my system! :-)

I will keep trying, I too admire his work and would like to see these videos.

Thanks again,

Doug Dolde
12-May-2006, 13:46
Runs fine for me on my cable connection. Interesting vids.

MIke Sherck
12-May-2006, 14:02
If you can't get a good connection, it will run more like a slide show than a video. In this case, as soon as it starts playing press the 'Pause' icon. The file will continue to stream into your computer and once it finishes you can press the "play" icon and it won't have to wait for the stream to keep up. I've got a T1 here at work and a gigabit network on my end, so I doubt that the speed problem is on my end.

darr
12-May-2006, 14:37
Thanks for sharing that with us! I enjoyed viewing both videos very much.

Eric Biggerstaff
12-May-2006, 14:54
I came home from the office and it ran fine on my home PC, great video and interesting. He is a talented person and it is interesting to watch him work.

Glad the rest of you enjoyed it.

Steven Barall
12-May-2006, 15:31
Very worth watching. It's nice to see someone being calm and just going about the work without pretense and drama.

You don't have to stream the video. Download it first and then play it.

Thanks for the post Eric.

Mark Carney
12-May-2006, 15:46
Thanks!

That was a joy to watch.

Bill_1856
12-May-2006, 16:51
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I'm still kicking myself for giving my copy of "Two Hearted Oak" to my Doctor (who is Polish) for Christmas 2 years ago. It never occured to me that I couldn't replace it. Hope they publish a second printing or, even better, a new edition.

Jim collum
13-May-2006, 01:26
i own a copy of Franciscan Church (http://www.romanloranc.com/images/franciscan_lg.jpg ) , and it is by far, the finest b/w print that i have seen to date. If you've never seen a print of his, you're missing one of the finest bodies of work out there today.

jim

Bob Douglas
15-May-2006, 16:28
Eric,

Runs for me in Firefox but not Safari. Do you want to come over to Louisville?

-Bob

Eric Biggerstaff
15-May-2006, 18:38
Hey Bob,

Thanks, I got it to work fine here at home, but we need to plan an outing soon to go photographing somewhere. Maybe when Mt. Evans opens in a few weeks, could be good.

Hope you liked the video, I thought is was nice.

brad martin
14-Apr-2007, 00:46
Old thread I know........

But just watched it again. And somewhere in the video Roman holds up a viewing filter. Its a metal disc with a retangular window of red glass. I'm assuming its a black and white viewing filter. What brand and where do I get one? Tiffen is the only result I get back from a web search but they make several and there are no images of them.

Thanks, and forgive my late night gearhead syndrome..................

Bill_1856
14-Apr-2007, 07:29
Brad, apparently it's a Zone VI from Fred Picker.

brad martin
14-Apr-2007, 08:45
Thanks Bill

Carl Radford
14-Apr-2007, 12:57
Great video - great images!

MIke Sherck
14-Apr-2007, 20:14
I own a DVD of the PBS "American Experiance" video of Ansel Adams, a DVD on Paul Strand from Canada, and a video of Edward Weston. Many years ago I rented a video on Helmut Newton. Is there a reasonably comprehensive source of videos on photographers? Much more interesting to watch than the crud on commercial TV.

Mike

tim atherton
14-Apr-2007, 20:42
http://www.photoeye.com/Bookstore/Videos.cfm

is a good start

though once you've found one you like, it's worth looking at prices on amazon etc

John Kasaian
14-Apr-2007, 21:08
Thanks Eric! I've always enjoyed Loranc's photographs and this video is like frosting on the cake!

John Voss
15-Apr-2007, 15:39
I own a DVD of the PBS "American Experiance" video of Ansel Adams, a DVD on Paul Strand from Canada, and a video of Edward Weston. Many years ago I rented a video on Helmut Newton. Is there a reasonably comprehensive source of videos on photographers? Much more interesting to watch than the crud on commercial TV.

Mike

I agree that Photoeye is a good source to locate videos, but there is also a series of DVDs and videotapes in the Freestyle catalog about photography and photographers.

Two that I own and enjoy are the film by Art Wright called Brett Weston: Photographer
, and The Tapestry of Creation, by and about Christopher Burkett. The Burkett film includes an illustrated outline overview of his technique, and selected works plus some extraordinary videography. It's available from www.christopherburkett.com