PDA

View Full Version : anybody in nyc who can show me a nikon 450m?

christoph morlinghaus
12-May-2006, 09:00
hi

i just bought a nikon 450 m on ebay and tested it on my 12x20. the camera is in alignment and the lens is properly mounted but the corners are so out of focus that i don't think that i can get them focussed even with f 64. the common claim on this forum seems to be that corner to corner sharpness can be achieved with f 32-45. there was a thread where somebody had the same trouble with that lens and solved it by getting another one. so before i get into the trouble of getting another lens, it would be great if i could compare my lens with another one, preferably a proven one on 12x20. is there anyone in nyc that is willing to let me compare my lens with his/hers?

cheers,
christoph morlinghaus

Michael Kadillak
12-May-2006, 20:20
Both of my Nikon 450M's cover more than 12x20 and are extremely sharp. Depending upon the scene that you want to photograph and the associated depth of field issues, it is not abnormal with this format to have to work with the placement of the plane of focus and do some iterations with the focusing knob to get the entire scene into proper focus. 4x5 is a day at the beach compared to ULF so do not get frustrated.

Get your 12x20 in front of a flat building to check your perimeter focus. Coverage does not seem to be an issue and I would bet that your lens is just fine.

Cheers!