PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika and Plaubel cameras - expert site?

Clemens
12-May-2006, 05:21
An old photographer just offered me some old Technikas and Super Technikas, 4 Cameras with lenses, from 4x5 up to 8x10, also a 5x7 Plaubel. I don't know why these manufacturers did not clearly mark their cameras, so I don't know what types they are.

Is there a database on the web showing me how to differentiate between the different models?

Frank Petronio
12-May-2006, 05:59
Umm...grovel, grovel... I guess you have to subscribe to View Camera magazine so you can access the past issue pdfs on their website. They did a nice history of Linhof cameras a few years ago. Plaubels are harder to find info on.

Mark Sampson
12-May-2006, 06:16
Cameraquest.com has some information on various Technika models, with pictures; it would be a good place to start.

Ted Harris
12-May-2006, 06:17
Both compnies are still very much in business. Bob Salomon of HP Marketing,the US Distributer forLinhof, is a regular contributor oto this Forum and if you post more details on the Linhof's he will be able to answer your questions. Plaubel is more difficult as they do not, AFAIK, much in the way of a web presence and are not distributed in the US. Their web site is in German ... www.plaubel.com ... and you can email them at info@plaubel.com. My understanding from others is that they are reasonably easy to get information from with a direct contact.

Brian Ellis
12-May-2006, 09:22
In real quick summary form, for 99% of Technikas you'll see: if the camera doesn't have front tilt it's a III or earlier. If it has front tilt and if the mechanism for using front rise is located at the back of the left side (as you face the front of the camera) of the focusing rail it's a IV. If it has front tilt and if the mechanism for using front rise is a lever that sticks out from the right side of the front standard, and if there aren't two little buttons on either side of the top of the camera housing, it's a V. If it has front tilt, rise lever on the front, and the two buttons on the top of the housing it's a Master.

The cameraquest site that Mark mentioned is the best source I know of for detailed information about the various Technika models but the things I've mentioned should be fine just for purposes of identifying a particular model as long as it's at least a III, I don't know anything about the IIs and earlier versions but you seldom see any of them around. To further complicate things, there were five different versions of the III and two different versions of the V but if you want to get into that kind of detail you can read the cameraquest site which explains them all in depth.