PDA

View Full Version : Lens fungus or something else?

JasonDaileyPhoto
24-May-2023, 14:24
Just bought a lens, schneider krueger 210mm lens. Looked to be in great condition, couldn't see any spots or haze on lens on inspection. Just got a few test sheets back and there's black spots all over it. Not soft, definitely spots. Is this fungus I can't see? Seems to be in the same spot in three of the test photos. The fourth was quite a bit brighter and possibly helped diminish the issue.

Thanks!

Gary Beasley
24-May-2023, 14:30
Negs or chromes? If negs it could be an artifact of the printing, ie dirt on glass.

xkaes
24-May-2023, 15:29
You've got to be more specific. What am I suppose to be seeing in the picture? If you have fungus (or dust/dirt) in the lens you will be able to see it in the lens.

Did you shine a light through the lens?

Duolab123
24-May-2023, 19:05
I doubt it's fungus if you don't see anything with strong light.

Drew Wiley
24-May-2023, 19:16
Blemishes on a lens would generally not come into tight focus on an image any more than a piece of dirt on your eyeglasses would. There would be some impact to the overall sharpness in a certain portion of it, a bit of blur, but not concise shaped flaws. It look like either dust on the film, or more likely, during printing proof phase. The lens itself is the last thing I would suspect. Did you discuss this with the lab which did those?

JasonDaileyPhoto
25-May-2023, 09:59
Negs or chromes? If negs it could be an artifact of the printing, ie dirt on glass.

Chromes, provia 100F.

JasonDaileyPhoto
25-May-2023, 10:03
That's what I was hoping, something other than the lens (of course). Yes, I did call the lab and talked to them about it. I think they use a flatbed scanner for 4x5's but all four of the images have the spots in the same location.

The film I used was expired provia 100f. I recently received back a scan from the same batch with no marks, only difference is the lens I used...

JasonDaileyPhoto
25-May-2023, 10:05
You've got to be more specific. What am I suppose to be seeing in the picture? If you have fungus (or dust/dirt) in the lens you will be able to see it in the lens.

Did you shine a light through the lens?

The spots are most identifiable in the darker areas under the brim of the hat. Small black specks, on the scan of a chrome film 4x5 sheet.

maltfalc
25-May-2023, 10:25
dust on the scanner glass. anything on the lens won't be remotely in focus except as shadows in oof lights.

Havoc
26-May-2023, 05:14
Chromes, provia 100F.

If it is on chromes and it is the lens, then it should be visible on the slide itself. If it isn't, then it is further up the chain.

paulbarden
26-May-2023, 06:51
The lens cannot possibly be responsible for those spots.