PDA

View Full Version : Agfa Ansco Tripod Block

IainP
21-May-2023, 12:34
Do any of the members have pictures or specifications for the Agfa Ansco Commercial View 8x10 tripod block? I’m in the midst of a restoration and would love to know how the block functioned. Thanks all!

Axelwik
29-May-2023, 13:13
I have an 8x10 Ansco Universal with the tripod block. They might be the same.

LabRat
29-May-2023, 17:59
I have to make one, but they are not too complicated... A flat block wider than the rail bed, with strips on side with lock screws... The rail could be held in place (and slide) by using large fender washers (metal or thick nylon with spacers raised) held above block that mate with the grooves on the side of bed/rail... The block can be T nuts that are drilled to accept the tripod screws, and a wooden pad under the locking screws to clamp to the rail, but not allow lock screws from possible damage to bed/rail...

I have all the parts for this, but trying to get some shop time somewhere to cut and assemble block...

But it would be a no-brainer for a woodworker and fairly easy job...

Steve K

warpath
30-May-2023, 00:08
The tripod block is concaved a little on both sides so when you tighten down the screws it grips tightly. I've got one taken apart I'm refinishing, I'll take measurements tomorrow night.

IainP
30-May-2023, 09:05
The tripod block is concaved a little on both sides so when you tighten down the screws it grips tightly. I've got one taken apart I'm refinishing, I'll take measurements tomorrow night.

Thank you! I look forward to getting your measurements. A couple of iPhone photos would be a great assist as well! I will start sourcing the materials as soon as I have a better idea of the basic functionality of the block.

IainP
30-May-2023, 09:09
Hi, Steve: if, when you are going through your refinishing process, you could take a few cell phone photos, I would really appreciate them. I think I understand the basic functionality of the block, but am having trouble visualizing it. Best, Iain

Tin Can
30-May-2023, 11:42
I have one somewhere

2 boards with piano hinge and an angle lock

Mine has a fragile round socket to fit tripod

warpath
31-May-2023, 20:01
Are we talking about the tripod block that slides on the bottom of the camera or the platform on the old wooden tripods that hinges to angle the camera? If we're talking about the block that goes under the camera to distribute camera weight, here's photos and measurements.

Approximately 6.25" x 7.75". It's 5/8" thick. The concave waist portion looks to be about 7.5". The brass brackets on the side is an inch, or just a smidge over an inch. The last photo shows an assembled one vs the stripped block I'm working on.

Hope this helps

IainP
1-Jun-2023, 17:24
Thank you so much for this! This is a great help.

Best Iain

warpath
2-Jun-2023, 00:45
no prob