PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Nikkor 90/4.5 vs 90/8

darr
14-May-2023, 18:05
I am trying to slim down the weight of my travel 4x5 kit. Curious if switching out the Nikon 90/4.5 with the 90/8 would be beneficial regarding weight and dimensions and have excellent image quality. Does anybody have experience with both? TIA

Oren Grad
14-May-2023, 19:22
While we're waiting for hands-on reports, here are the specifications including size/weight:

darr
14-May-2023, 19:31
Thanks, Oren!

Joseph Kashi
14-May-2023, 20:04
I am trying to slim down the weight of my travel 4x5 kit. Curious if switching out the Nikon 90/4.5 with the 90/8 would be beneficial regarding weight and dimensions and have excellent image quality. Does anybody have experience with both? TIA

Although I don't have experience with the 4.5 version, my 90/8 Nikkor is one of the sharper lenses among my few dozen LF lenses, covers 5x7 easily, and uses 67mm filters, implying a relatively compact size and weight for its class.

Eric Woodbury
14-May-2023, 20:31
Of the several 90s I've had, Nikkor 90/8 is the finest.

90/6.8 Angulon is the most compact for 4x5 and sharp enough, too. Later years they had modern shutters. Coatings are fine unless you are shooting into the lights.

Never had the 90/4.5. I'd never shoot that open. Might be handy for focussing on a dark subject, but I get by with f/8.

Mark J
15-May-2023, 05:00
Do you use a fresnel on the 4x5 screen ? If I was using the f/8 lens I'd want that to help composition, on a lot of subjects. I'm sure it's a just as sharp as the f/4.5 when stopped down though - it has 8 elements which is more than the Schneider and Rodenstock slower models.

darr
15-May-2023, 06:02
Do you use a fresnel on the 4x5 screen ? If I was using the f/8 lens I'd want that to help composition, on a lot of subjects. I'm sure it's a just as sharp as the f/4.5 when stopped down though - it has 8 elements which is more than the Schneider and Rodenstock slower models.

My travel 4x5 is an Ebony RSW with an original screen and fresnel.
The 90/4.5 has been an excellent lens, just a bit on the heavy side now that I am shooting more landscapes rather than building interiors.

darr
15-May-2023, 06:03
Although I don't have experience with the 4.5 version, my 90/8 Nikkor is one of the sharper lenses among my few dozen LF lenses, covers 5x7 easily, and uses 67mm filters, implying a relatively compact size and weight for its class.

Of the several 90s I've had, Nikkor 90/8 is the finest.

90/6.8 Angulon is the most compact for 4x5 and sharp enough, too. Later years they had modern shutters. Coatings are fine unless you are shooting into the lights.

Never had the 90/4.5. I'd never shoot that open. Might be handy for focussing on a dark subject, but I get by with f/8.

Thanks!!

Michael R
15-May-2023, 06:50
They are equivalent in performance, so really it's just a matter of size/weight vs losing almost 2 stops for wide open focusing/composing under low light conditions. That really depends on the person. I always preferred the faster models because I see a little better (not a huge difference but every little bit counts for me), and I don't have far to carry stuff so it made sense.

The f/8 takes smaller filters on the front so you might need a step up ring unless you already have some 67mm filters for other lenses.

My travel 4x5 is an Ebony RSW with an original screen and fresnel.
The 90/4.5 has been an excellent lens, just a bit on the heavy side now that I am shooting more landscapes rather than building interiors.

neil poulsen
15-May-2023, 08:08
I generally have Schneider lenses, except for my Nikon 90mm SW f8. As another responder pointed out, the f8 version has 8 elements. A nice advantage of a 90mm f5.6 90mm SW is their 235mm image circle, compared to a smaller image circle for their f8 versions. But indeed, the Nikon 90mm SW f8 also has that increased image circle.

My Fuji 105mm SW and my 121mm SW are both f8 lenses. So my 90mm SW might just as well be an f8.

Drew Wiley
15-May-2023, 09:07
In only have experience with the 4.5 version. It's big; but the brighter viewing was beneficial for interior architectural shoots, especially if a center filter was in place. It's an optically excellent lens with a deservedly high reputation.

Salmo22
15-May-2023, 13:06
I have and love both 4.5 and 8 lenses. For indoor architectural low light circumstances, as described by Drew, the 4.5 comes in very handy. Otherwise, the 8 can handle just about everything else. Both are very sharp, have nice contrast, and the 8 has the benefit of not being an oversized and overweight wide angle. I'm glad I have both.

darr
15-May-2023, 13:18
I have and love both 4.5 and 8 lenses. For indoor architectural low light circumstances, as described by Drew, the 4.5 comes in very handy. Otherwise, the 8 can handle just about everything else. Both are very sharp, have nice contrast, and the 8 has the benefit of not being an oversized and overweight wide angle. I'm glad I have both.

Thank you. That is what I was hoping to hear. :)

darr
15-May-2023, 13:20
Thanks, everybody.
I have found a Nikkor-SW 90/8 that I will be trying out.
If I can live without the 90/4.5, it will go up for sale.

Kind regards,
Darr

Mark Sampson
15-May-2023, 16:29
darr, I've never had problems focusing my 90/8 Nikkor-SW in almost 30 years of use. It's a favorite (even if I don't shoot architecture with it any more). I'm sure you'll be happy with that lens!

darr
15-May-2023, 16:38
darr, I've never had problems focusing my 90/8 Nikkor-SW in almost 30 years of use. It's a favorite (even if I don't shoot architecture with it any more). I'm sure you'll be happy with that lens!

Thanks, Mark.
I appreciate your input.

Joseph Kashi
15-May-2023, 18:34
By way of a general comparison inspired by this thread, I looked at four different 90 mm wide-angle lenses in my lens drawer..

1. The Nikkor 90/8 SW is the best balanced super-wide-angle lens, combining excellent sharpness with a reasonable 67 mm filter size package and adequate coverage for 5 x 7 negatives (235 mm). It's my top choice for 5x7. It's about twice the price of the Fujinon 90/8 NSW and I bought the Nikkor primarily for its compact size with good coverage of 5x7. I prefer 5x7, so a wide field of coverage is important to me.

2. My Fujinon 90/5.6 SWD is nearly a sharp as the Nikkor 90/8 but is much larger, using 82 mm filters. It has the same coverage as the Nikkor 90/8, 235mm, and is adequate for 5x7. I avoid carrying this lens in the field due to its bulk and weight. I should probably sell it. The Nikkor 90/4.5 also uses 82mm filters and is similarly large.

3. My Fujinon 90/8 NSW is nearly a sharp as the Nikkor 90/8 and is similarly compact, using 67 mm filters. Coverage is marginal for 5 x 7, at 216 mm image circle. I prefer this lens as an excellent 4x5 general purpose lens as the 90/8 Nikkor is in the 5x7 backpacking outfit. I mostly shoot 5x7, so this lens gets less usage.

4. My Schneider 90/6.8 Angulon is acceptably sharp, quite small, and has coverage more or less adequate for 4 x 5. It works well for a super-light 4x5 backpacking kit but I would choose it only where small size and weight are critical.

Darryl Baird
15-May-2023, 19:34
I have owned and used both. Unless there is a need to see better (f/4.5), they perform the same. It's one reason the f/8 is generally more expensive than other slower lenses of the same focal lengths.

darr
17-May-2023, 16:10
By way of a general comparison inspired by this thread, I looked at four different 90 mm wide-angle lenses in my lens drawer..

1. The Nikkor 90/8 SW is the best balanced super-wide-angle lens, combining excellent sharpness with a reasonable 67 mm filter size package and adequate coverage for 5 x 7 negatives (235 mm). It's my top choice for 5x7. It's about twice the price of the Fujinon 90/8 NSW and I bought the Nikkor primarily for its compact size with good coverage of 5x7. I prefer 5x7, so a wide field of coverage is important to me.

2. My Fujinon 90/5.6 SWD is nearly a sharp as the Nikkor 90/8 but is much larger, using 82 mm filters. It has the same coverage as the Nikkor 90/8, 235mm, and is adequate for 5x7. I avoid carrying this lens in the field due to its bulk and weight. I should probably sell it. The Nikkor 90/4.5 also uses 82mm filters and is similarly large.

3. My Fujinon 90/8 NSW is nearly a sharp as the Nikkor 90/8 and is similarly compact, using 67 mm filters. Coverage is marginal for 5 x 7, at 216 mm image circle. I prefer this lens as an excellent 4x5 general purpose lens as the 90/8 Nikkor is in the 5x7 backpacking outfit. I mostly shoot 5x7, so this lens gets less usage.

4. My Schneider 90/6.8 Angulon is acceptably sharp, quite small, and has coverage more or less adequate for 4 x 5. It works well for a super-light 4x5 backpacking kit but I would choose it only where small size and weight are critical.

I have owned and used both. Unless there is a need to see better (f/4.5), they perform the same. It's one reason the f/8 is generally more expensive than other slower lenses of the same focal lengths.

Thank you, guys.
Much appreciated.

Darr