PDA

View Full Version : Cook lens coating

kissssss
13-May-2023, 08:44
Hi everyone,

I have a chance to buy a Cook lens series IIA which was my dream portrait lens for a long time. But I don't know much about their specific.

The seller told me that the lens has haze and blemish internal. I think haze only happens on the lenses which are coated, and Cook series IIA seems not being coated. Am I wrong somethings?

I would listen to your recommendations.

Regards

mhayashi
13-May-2023, 09:35
IIA Portric was made from c.1909 to 1930 according to the Cooke compendium.
https://cookeoptics.com/compendium/

The IIA Portric wouldn’t be coated considering the production period.
Ask the seller what he means by haze, as it would be cleaned easily if it’s simply the thin layer of dust.
So you may ask him to disassemble and clean the whole lens elements.

Mark Sawyer
13-May-2023, 11:10
Some older Cooke lenses were restored and coated by Burke and James after WWII. But I doubt that's the source of the haze. More likely, someone lubricated the internal workings and the lubricant off-gassed, leaving a residue. That would wipe off easily. Or it could be a fungus infection, which may have etched the glass. That is a bigger problem.

Those are beautiful lenses. Good luck with it.

paulbarden
13-May-2023, 15:10
The seller told me that the lens has haze and blemish internal. I think haze only happens on the lenses which are coated, and Cook series IIA seems not being coated.

Nope. Coatings have nothing to do with haze showing up on internal surfaces. Most often its the volatile components of lubricants depositing on the inner glass surfaces that causes haze. Sometimes mistaken for haze is a clouding up of the cement used to glue cemented pairs together. This often happens when a lens is stored in a cool damp location for years.
Internal haze on surfaces is (usually) easily removed. Cloudy balsam is not easily fixed.

Mark Sawyer
13-May-2023, 15:24
...Sometimes mistaken for haze is a clouding up of the cement used to glue cemented pairs together. This often happens when a lens is stored in a cool damp location for years.
Internal haze on surfaces is (usually) easily removed. Cloudy balsam is not easily fixed.

Fortunately for the prospective buyer, the Cooke Triplet has three single elements and no cemented surfaces.

paulbarden
14-May-2023, 10:11
Fortunately for the prospective buyer, the Cooke Triplet has three single elements and no cemented surfaces.

Oops, I should have realized that. Apologies.

kissssss
20-May-2023, 07:54
I just look on the photos that the seller sent to me. Here the haze that he's mentioned:

Are they serious problems?

mhayashi
20-May-2023, 07:59
That looks like the residual on the internal surface of the outermost element.
It should be cleaned upon disassembly.
The picture looks the front and rear most elements.
So request him to clean first as they can be unscrewed easily before you decide to buy the lens.
If he refuses, then don’t buy. Something must be wrong in my opinion.

kissssss
21-May-2023, 08:56
I appreciate you guys' experiences and recommendations. I have contacted the seller. Hopefully everything gets better :o

Hugo Zhang
21-May-2023, 09:50
That looks like the residual on the internal surface of the outermost element.
It should be cleaned upon disassembly.
The picture looks the front and rear most elements.
So request him to clean first as tey can be unscrewed easily before you decide to buy the lens.
If he refuses, then don’t buy. Something must be wrong in my opinion.

Sometimes it is very hard to open the front element even with a lens wrench. I could not open my IIA lens to clean it. Maybe you can give me some tips?

mhayashi
21-May-2023, 10:13
Good evening Hugo.
Which generation do you have of IIA?
There are many discussions in the LFPF threads as you know, but
1. I normally drop lens cleaner first then unscrew
2. Clean the borders of brass barrels with wooden toothpicks and kroil as needed if I observe verdigris.
3. If I can’t unscrew the barrels, my last option is using two belt wrenches but I need to be very careful using these, as forcing could result in bending the brass. I don’t choose this option if it’s unnecessary unless I can’t clean the inner surface without doing so, or let alone if the haze is minimal, or my last option is to ask Gidou-san of Toyo camera service in Tokyo….

Mark Sawyer
21-May-2023, 12:09
I would say buy it if the price is reasonable. As it's all single uncemented elements, they should clean up upon disassembly. If it proves to difficult and you can't find a repair shop, you would have no trouble reselling it here with full disclosure. (I'd be interested, as I'm sure many others here would.) Or you may find it shoots fine as-is.

Cooke Portrics are very fine lenses, and quite rare. If it's your dream lens, go for it.