PDA

View Full Version : Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar vs. Rodenstock Sironar question

jeannicolas
2-May-2023, 05:01
I have an old Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 210mm (the one that's convertible to a 370mm by removing the front element), and I could trade it in for a Rodenstock Sironar 210mm. Note: This is *not* the Sironar-N, or Sironar-S or the more recent APO Sironar, but the older one that is apparently just "Rodenstock Sironar".

I'm wondering if I can expect a difference in quality by making the trade or if I shouldn't bother. I think both lens are roughly from the same period (somewhere in the 70s?). I'd probably end up paying a small fee to make the trade and I'm pretty satisfied with my current lens so I'd really only make the trade if the Rodenstock is clearly a better lens.

Any help would be appreciated!

Vaughan
2-May-2023, 05:12
IMHO the optics will be six-of-one but there may be a difference in shutters that is worth the money to change over.

My first LF was a Linhof Technika IV with two lenses, one being a Symmar 180mm f5.6 of that era (ie, convertible) and IMHO it was a nice lens. Newer versions may be marginally sharper in the corners or have marginally larger image circles, or have the benefit of multicoating, but the one thing I learned from that lens was a hatred for Synchro-Compur shutters particularly those with the "old" speed scale. YMMV.

I'm now using single-coated Fujinon large format lenses and the lack of multicoating hasn't been a problem for me. They are all in Japanese shutters (Seiko or Copal).

rfesk
2-May-2023, 05:31
What I like about my Symmar 150mm lens is the many blades of the Synchro-Compur shutter(as compared to a Copal shutter.) I feel that it has a small benefit in the rendition of out of focus areas.

Oslolens
2-May-2023, 05:35
Don't bother.
There might be more differences between individual lenses than same-age plasmats from different manufacturers.
Early Fujinon-W are said to be useful on larger formats, so I tried several 180mm and put that idea away. The corners on 8x10" was not worth the film.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

jeannicolas
2-May-2023, 06:03
Thanks all, that confirms my suspicions!... I like my Symmar and am happy with it! The devil you know, etc. etc. :D

jeannicolas
2-May-2023, 07:56
Should've thought to check the vintage lens list found on this very site! Looks like they are fairly equivalent lenses... similar price range, and the Symmar has a slightly larger cover circle.

Focal Cover Film 2
Brand Model E/G Length AP Circle Flange Price YR
---------- ---------------- --- ------ ---- ------ ------ ----- --
Rodenstock Sironar 210 5.6 266 598 1
Schneider Symmar 210 5.6 297 637 1

Dugan
2-May-2023, 08:47
Another reason to stick with the Symmar:
Some early "non- N" Sironars had a problem with separation issues due to synthetic lens cement failure...
This is immediately recognizable by rainbow-like reflections between lens elements.

Robert Opheim
2-May-2023, 12:20
My first lens was also a convertible 180mm / 360mm Symmar in a Copal shutter manufactured about 1968. I bought it used in 1975. It has been a good lens. It is not as clinically as sharp as later acquired lenses like a 135mm Symmar S or a 240mm Nikor W. My 180mm Symmar has worked for: buildings, portraits, products, and landscapes. I would use it, and get lens lengths for what images that you want to make.