PDA

View Full Version : Washing 8x10 film

Eric_6227
7-May-2006, 12:02
I just bought a Jobo CPA-2 and am wondering if there is an alternative to washing the film in the Expert tank. I've seen 4x5 film washers by Gravity Works, but nothing for 8x10. Can you wash 8x10 film in an archival pront washer? Or can anyone receommend an alternative method? Thanks.

Louie Powell
7-May-2006, 12:05
If you have an archival print washer, it would work just fine for larger negatives. Alternatively, just let them soak in trays of water.

It ain't rocket science.

Oren Grad
7-May-2006, 12:09
There's a good reason to do the wash in the Expert drum - the process of running all that water through washes the Lift and the drum as well.

Luca Merlo
7-May-2006, 12:22
You can try with the Paterson washer for 8x10 papers that works fine also with films. The films are placed into spacers and they are not becoming in contact among themselves. It is not a very expensive device (at least here in Europe) and works fine. Good luck !

Ed K.
7-May-2006, 15:57
Not rocket science - true. I find that this works -

1. Do a good rinse set while in the drum, which helps clean the processor and does a pretty fair initial wash. If one didn't wish to do this, one could do it after the film is in the wash elsewhere, however it's still necessary to flush the processor somehow - so I use the water to do the initial rinse/wash too.

2. Remove film, place into hangers, spray rinse film both sides using tap water that has been filtered by inline filters. This removes any little particles or clumps of whatever that have stuck to the film. The three-filter jobs from the local hardware store and other places mount under the sink and have decent flow; they do seem to remove clorine, and they definitely remove sediment and other junk.

3. Put hangers into a versalab print washer, suspended with the hanger tops resting on the adjustable rail pieces. The print washer is big enough for 11x14, could use a larger one. Yes, frightening to put film into hangers while wet, however it can be done with no damage and it goes quick.

4. Running water rinse in the print washer. It has a low flow and good circulation, removes crud. For the first bit, tap the hangers to allow bubbles to rise. After a bit, come back and tap again to dislodge any other accumulated bubbles.

5. Remove hangers, rinse one more time with filtered water. In my case, I'm lucky, no Photoflow or Edwal needed.

6. Hang to dry in hangers. Then clean and dab dry the drum.

Result - no crud, no spots, no dye color - just clean film and no scratches. Plus, a good wash.

If you don't mind clips, you could easily arrange some sort of clip hanger system that adapts your print washer to be a film washer - then you don't have to buy both.

tim atherton
7-May-2006, 16:31
I have one of those old Paterson rocking auto print washers for 8x10 paper. (I've seen them for $30- 50 on ebay). Just remove the film from the drum and slide in. Wash fo xx minutes et voila.

I have some Kodak 4x5 film hangers that just have to clips each with a tiny little point on it - after washign I just slide a sheet out of the washer, clip o the film hanger and hang it up to dry.

Only problem with thePaterson is the plastic film/pritn rack has got slightly warped over the years, so it can be a little hard alligning the film to slide it in. But the washer is a very ingenious system with a good flow and the rocking motion seems to help and not harm

Brian Ellis
7-May-2006, 17:37
I used to wash 8x10 film in a Zone VI Studios 11x14 print washer. It worked fine (at least my 8x10 negatives still look o.k.). I removed every other divider in an effort to be sure the film didn't stick to one of them though I'm not sure that was necessary.

Victor Loverro
7-May-2006, 18:57
I use the Gravity Works 8x10 print washer for film and it works fine. No scratches. I usually fill and dump a few times and then stop the water flow with the tank full and let the film leech out the fixer for a while and alternate with a few fill and dump. Doesn't use much water this way and is an effective rinse. I pull the film out when the tank is full to help it float away from the wire frames.

Eric_6227
9-May-2006, 23:53
Thanks everyone for the info. I combined the advice, washing the negs in the Jobo first. Actually I had not thought about cleaning out the Jobo itself so that is good advice. And I just recently bought a Paterson print washer, so I'll do an extra wash there. Thanks again.